Radcity direct drive

Cassidy

Im in the market for an Ebike. I was very interested in the Radcity until I learned it was direct drive as I read these were inferior systems. Can anyone with experience tell me the pros and cons of having a direct drive motor in general as well specifically as it pertains to the Radcity thanks

Thanks Timpo that was informative and adds to my confusion lol. So direct drives are better for city driving/speed where Geared motors are best for starting off, going up hills etc as it has more torque at the start. will be using it mostly for fun/sport/exercise, not many hills but we have some great bike paths from the beaches to inland and mostly flat surfaces with an occasional hill to climb :) I appreciate the responses :)

Thanks again ---It seems also gear less is heavier. In the original video you posted at approx 1:26 he says "geared motors are the way to go" But after reading your posts I think either would be ok for me do you have any suggestions as to other Ebikes I have not considered ? thank you :)

Well class 2 bikes have a limit of 20 mph so Im not sure that top end speed matters...But Im looking at the Juiced ccx as well which looks great

Thanks well the Radcity is a class 2 as well but based on your posts/video (thank you) I think I do want a geared hub :)

Cassidy, a big piece of your call is going to be the geared vs. direct hub decision. Take your time here as there are a lot of things to consider. The tip of the iceberg - while the geared may climb and accelerate better at low speeds, they are not as quiet and there is increased maintenance required due to the gears. They also do not transfer heat as well as the direct drive, and take longer to cool after being stressed. The reason the direct drive are larger diameter is to take advantage of the extra torque they can deliver due to that. And on and on..... There is no right or wrong here. This is all about your available choices to satisfy how you see yourself riding most often.

I have an '18 Rad City and I flat love the bike, but I'm getting ready to put it's 3rd motor in it. I'm a big guy, over 300 pounds, with a couple of "kit" bikes I built myself previous to buying the Rad. Turns out those kit bikes spoiled me a bit, showing me what could be done electronically with the bike's controls. This led me to install a "kit" on my 6 week old bike - that included a 1500w direct drive motor. Me being the larger and older type, and rarely seeing over 20 mph (on purpose) I find the DD sometimes lacking in the hill climbing power I need as the bike is often used in a rolling hills coastal type area. My weight (the load on the bike) is causing it to strain on the longer taller hills.

So, this bike is about to recieve it's 3rd (!!) motor. I ordered a MAC 12t geared rear hub motor to install on it. MAC has a pretty good reputation for building quality gear drive rear hubs - but you don't see them on production bike much. Damn the extra noise, damn the potential extra maintenance, damn the cooling issues, my priority now is to see what this hub will do for my riding style. On paper, I should have nearly double the torque from a standing start while using considerably less power under the conditions I normally ride in! We'll see... -Al

Cassidy, a big piece of your call is going to be the geared vs. direct hub decision. Take your time here as there are a lot of things to consider. The tip of the iceberg - while the geared may climb and accelerate better at low speeds, they are not as quiet and there is increased maintenance required due to the gears. They also do not transfer heat as well as the direct drive, and take longer to cool after being stressed. The reason the direct drive are larger diameter is to take advantage of the extra torque they can deliver due to that. And on and on..... There is no right or wrong here. This is all about your available choices to satisfy how you see yourself riding most often.

I have an '18 Rad City and I flat love the bike, but I'm getting ready to put it's 3rd motor in it. I'm a big guy, over 300 pounds, with a couple of "kit" bikes I built myself previous to buying the Rad. Turns out those kit bikes spoiled me a bit, showing me what could be done electronically with the bike's controls. This led me to install a "kit" on my 6 week old bike - that included a 1500w direct drive motor. Me being the larger and older type, and rarely seeing over 20 mph (on purpose) I find the DD sometimes lacking in the hill climbing power I need as the bike is often used in a rolling hills coastal type area. My weight (the load on the bike) is causing it to strain on the longer taller hills.

So, this bike is about to recieve it's 3rd (!!) motor. I ordered a MAC 12t geared rear hub motor to install on it. MAC has a pretty good reputation for building quality gear drive rear hubs - but you don't see them on production bike much. Damn the extra noise, damn the potential extra maintenance, damn the cooling issues, my priority now is to see what this hub will do for my riding style. On paper, I should have nearly double the torque from a standing start while using considerably less power under the conditions I normally ride in! We'll see... -Al
Thank you for that post :) Keep us updated on the new motor

I'm here looking at rad city that was brought into my shop the other day. This thing has to weigh more than 70lbs. The direct drive is the bulk of the rear weight. Guy had a flat and apparently no other shop wants to touch it. The axle nut on the drive side was torqued on so tightly, I needed a breaker bar to budge it. Worse is a washer that has flat edges inside to correspond with the axle shape. The over torquing caused that washer to rotate and embed itself into the threads. It won't budge. Not sure how to remove it. The axle cannot be easily removed with this washer piece so tightly mashed, without risk of causing other damage. This would be a nightmare to work on in the field on a ride with a flat. The exposed wiring underneath the bottom bracket, and above and around it is a mess, and bound to be damaged by rocks, stones, curbs whatever. I was surprised by all the exposed and unwrapped wiring on this radcity. For such a low torque motor and for that amount of weight, it's just surprising anyone would ever be comfortable riding this or trying to lift it onto a car bike carrier. It's too bad people don't get a chance to see this in person or test ride it. They'd likely make more prudent decisions. Oh well - back to the business of this wheel. Do I take a grinder or metal cutter to cut this washer off ? Probably not a good idea.
Wow how do you feel about the Juiced ccx ? I know it's cables are exposed but the manufacturer said they did that on purpose to allow easy repairs etc. As far as the Radcity I dont think I have read one post here that says they were displeased after the purchase on the contrary they love it, so Im not sure about your bike. Most bikes I have looked at do weigh a lot the ones that seemed to weigh less all had no rear rack or fender. So I think 50-65 pounds is the norm.

Wow how do you feel about the Juiced ccx ? I know it's cables are exposed but the manufacturer said they did that on purpose to allow easy repairs etc. As far as the Radcity I dont think I have read one post here that says they were displeased after the purchase on the contrary they love it, so Im not sure about your bike. Most bikes I have looked at do weigh a lot the ones that seemed to weigh less all had no rear rack or fender. So I think 50-65 pounds is the norm.
The Juiced CCX has hydraulic brakes and torque sensor vs mechanical brakes and cadence sensor on Radcity. The new Rad bikes have integrated lighting which includes a brake light when the brake levers are applied.

The CCX has Dual Torque and Cadence Pedal Sensors but yes given the differences I think the light integration is cool it would not be a priority given the other factors :) The brakes are supposed to be awesome:)

The CCX is a really formidable adversary when compared to the Rad City. It's 52v 19.2ah battery is clearly in a whole different league when compared to Rad's 48v 14ah. The hydraulic brakes are a great option, but the City's mechanical are up to the job at hand as well (remember, I'm the fat guy that rides in the big hills). Love the thumb throttle as I feel the twist grip is hard on my wrists. That's without getting into the direct drive vs. gear drive arguments. The thing to keep in mind, for me anyway, is what you could do with the thousand dollar difference in price. If it's in your budget, I don't think it would be hard to justify spending to get the CCX. My opinion anyway, FWIW. -Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Regenerative braking on the City. My dad swears it goes further than his prior 3 ebikes because of that. I’m not too sure about that though.

The CCX is a really formidable adversary when compared to the Rad City. It's 52v 19.2ah battery is clearly in a whole different league when compared to Rad's 48v 14ah. The hydraulic brakes are a great option, but the City's mechanical are up to the job at hand as well (remember, I'm the fat guy that rides in the big hills). Love the thumb throttle as I feel the twist grip is hard on my wrists. That's without getting into the direct drive vs. gear drive arguments. The thing to keep in mind, for me anyway, is what you could do with the thousand dollar difference in price. If it's in your budget, I don't think it would be hard to justify spending to get the CCX. My opinion anyway, FWIW. -Al
Al thank you I appreciate that and you are right, at what point does one make concessions for the $1,000 difference...The CCX is sold out (my size I think) and they do not respond well to Emails, however I did get one FB response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a Juiced CrossCurrent Air and initially my brakes came with Shimano M375 mechanical brakes.

I later upgraded to Tektro E715 hydraulic brakes. There's no way I can recommend mechanical brakes to anyone. I use my bike as a daily commute and I had to adjust it like once every 2 weeks.

The mechanical brakes work great only when they're brand new, or right after the adjustment.
If I were to get a Rad City (or any bike with mechanical brakes for that matter) I would upgrade the brakes as soon as possible.
The CCX says it comes with
  • Powerful Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes

I own a Juiced CrossCurrent Air and initially my brakes came with Shimano M375 mechanical brakes.

I later upgraded to Tektro E715 hydraulic brakes. There's no way I can recommend mechanical brakes to anyone. I use my bike as a daily commute and I had to adjust it like once every 2 weeks.

The mechanical brakes work great only when they're brand new, or right after the adjustment.
If I were to get a Rad City (or any bike with mechanical brakes for that matter) I would upgrade the brakes as soon as possible.
Just to supply a counterpoint, The Rad City I've been riding the last couple of seasons now, the one with 1200 miles or so on it, have been adjusted one time since new and work just fine hauling my 300+lb butt down to safe limits on some pretty big hills. They work just fine, leaving me confident I can stop safely any time I want to.

Can anybody put some light on the noise sitution with direct drive hubs?

I have a geared das-kit hub: the drone at steady speeds is annoying; at 25kph, people can hear me coming 15 meters away.

Maybe a dab of grease on your gears would quiet it down?

You gotta change the gears from "straight cut" or "helical cut". Most of the noise (wining) comes from the gears inside a gear driven motor. BTW you can't really change them.

I have a Radcity and like the direct drive because when you use the brakes it charges the battery. Have the front brake set up lose so the switch starts charging the battery before the brake start working. The geared motor could be better if you have big hills but doesn't charge the battery. I wouldn't get a mid drive because of the chain up keep. There is one make that uses a gates belt drive that looks good but the coast is to high for me. The mechanical brakes work fine. Had them on my motor cycles and worked fine. Now the fast I every had one was to about 160mph. When you start talking about making anything go faster it is how much money you have. I am 72 so speed just gets me a ticket.
Johnny333

I wish my ebike dealer was as knowledgeable as Mike. I know more about lithium ion cells than my dealer and more about brushless motors as well. I didn't want to buy a bike and have no dealer support though but I was tempted to buy online to save some money. Too many components with the potential to fail for me to be comfortable buying online as well as the fair chance the bike would arrive damaged.

Back