Radcity broke for 4 weeks.

BKing

Controllers were scarce but finally received the Bolton upgrade yesterday and a Rad one today. I had a spare but it turned out to be sq wave which is really noisy. Rode my wife’s bike some to keep sane.

4 weeks without a bike would make me crazy as well! I use generic KT controllers, and adapt them as necessary as far as the wiring ends. I've never had one fail on me, but if I did, I could have one easily within 10 days for a LOT less than what Bolton charges for one of his (<50 bucks!). Displays are same story, but there's just 2 different ends available on those, making them pretty easy to source. If the plug looks right, it'll work! -Al

Last edited:
Timpo, just a guess, but he was likely trying to get SOMETHING to get the bike back in service. When you're down like that, it would make little difference which were installed. I'd just be grateful the bike was back in service!

Square wave may have been a learning experience....

Sorry I didn't really understand what you said.

You received your controller yesterday, Bolton AND Rad Power controllers? Why two?
You installed a square wave spare controller... but why? Since you received a Bolton controller, why wouldn't you install Bolton controller?
I didn’t bother with the square wave and the Bolton arrived first. It was the one to stay on the bike anyway but lost the chance to test the new Rad one since the Bolton is on completely and no desire to switch out just for a test. I think the new Rad is going to be a 20mph only too so it’s a spare for my wife’s Radcity. I’m building a test set to check the Rad one under load. Roller pipe under a wheel for simulating a real load.

I sold a 2019 Rad Display and controller on E-Bay last week.

Surprised on how much I got for it, these things are scarce.

Well that's really good to know for a lot of Rad Power owners who might be considering Bolton or Electro Bike World upgrade. 😁
The selling point is the 2019 don’t have the +20 mph lockout.

I sold another one for a friend who had also upgraded and also fetched decent $$$, crazy amount of money when the Bolton mod is only a bit more.

I sold my ex Rad “750W” geared hub as well last month.

Recycling is good!

Couldn't agree more! Back when I did the controller and motor (all electrical other than the battery and PAS sensor) on the RAD City, I sold the take off parts as a "kit" that pretty much paid for the "kit" I purchased for a huge performance upgrade.

Resale price on RAD parts removed really is something to consider when deciding if you want to go to the trouble of making a move like that.

OTOH, if making a move like that on a bike that's not as popular (ahem*espin*ahem), you can figure those parts aren't worth the trouble to blow them to smithereens....

The selling point is the 2019 don’t have the +20 mph lockout.

I sold another one for a friend who had also upgraded and also fetched decent $$$, crazy amount of money when the Bolton mod is only a bit more.

I sold my ex Rad “750W” geared hub as well last month.

Recycling is good!
So, the 2020 Rad Five and beyond are unable to override the 20 mph limit?

Back