Rad Rover E-bike got drenched in rain

kenczr

Hey guys!

My Rad Rover E-bike got drenched in rain and the throttle and pedal assist doesn't work anymore.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I purchased the ebike last week. I know it is very unfortunate. ;p

I've contacted rad power bikes and its 3 days and counting, still didn't hear anything back from them. I figured posting my situation in this forum and hopefully someone can share his/her thoughts.

Cheers!

Does it power on at all? Did you clean the battery terminal and use a water resistant lube to prevent corrosion (it's called electro something)? It could be the controller not working, unless you're familiar with these types of electrical components your best bet is to wait for RR to contact you back. Or call and haras them until they answer.

If the bike turns on but doesn't go, the remote handlebar selector button might be shorted; that's the component that would determine your assist settings. Sometimes, just a bit of time and dry weather will fix a connection that has gotten moisture in it, other times it's shorted. Be sure to check all of the connections that you can reach. It's possible that the remote button wire has come loose. Next bet would be a dead controller.

Does it power on at all? Did you clean the battery terminal and use a water resistant lube to prevent corrosion (it's called electro something)? It could be the controller not working, unless you're familiar with these types of electrical components your best bet is to wait for RR to contact you back. Or call and haras them until they answer.
The battery was not in the bike when it rain. I had dried the bike using a cloth before installing back the battery. The battery and lcd does turn on.. actually the throttle did work today during my commute to work however it did not work again going back home. I'm now in a dillema where I don't know if the throttle would work or not during my commute. It's very inconvenient.

If the bike turns on but doesn't go, the remote handlebar selector button might be shorted; that's the component that would determine your assist settings. Sometimes, just a bit of time and dry weather will fix a connection that has gotten moisture in it, other times it's shorted. Be sure to check all of the connections that you can reach. It's possible that the remote button wire has come loose. Next bet would be a dead controller.
The bike does turn on. And sometimes the throttle works and sometimes in.the middle of the commute it would stop working. There are also time when the bike will just fully accelerate and the only way I can control.the speed is through. Using the brake. Lol.

I intend to use this bike as a daily commuter vehicle and it is just. Very unfortunate that this.kind of vehicle would just stop working because of a rain. I'm having second thoughts now keeping this bike. I would keep this if there's a.way where I could keep this. Bike working despite of it being wet by rain. Thanks much for your help :)

Hey.. Thanks for checking up. I was able to get in touch with the support team and they are shipping replacement parts (i.e throttle and controller). I will have to figure out how I will install these parts by myself. lol. Do you think that ebikes are supposed to withstand rain?

Thanks! Yes, I've read this article already. I was really surprised why my Radrover ebike easily failed to function properly after a rain.

hopefully it was just a fluke this time, my 2015 radrover got pretty soaked in a bad storm and had no issues

lots of guys chimed in here and said they ride in the rain/ or get caught in the rain a lot and have no problems

i have swapped out a controller on my rover and it was not very hard to do

not sure about the throttle but i bet it is not too bad

Remember than many/most of these bikes are using components sourced from China and other places with cheap labor. That means things like waterproofing usually aren't goign to be done very well.......

Anyone riding in rain should buy some silicone sealant and personally seal up places where water could go.

Back