• Tern HSD P9

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • RadCity Step Thru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Hello EBR crew,

I am new to E-biking and I am looking for a commuter bike for ~20 each way on flat with a little hill at the end. I would like to put my 30lb dog maybe on the back at some point, so I would like a cargo rack. I am interested in the Tern HSD P9 as it has a Bosch battery and heard they were terrific and I also get a good pro deal on them. On the other hand I do live in Seattle and have heard great things about Rad Power bikes. I am not sure which one is better for the value but would love some real life expertise. I want to make sure I have a bike that will work in the rain as well as be light enough to put in my car at some point.

Thanks for your help!
Since people are recommending other brands (and kind of ignoring your use case in favour of their preferences - it happens ALL the time here :) ), I'd suggest taking a look at the "By Brands" section of the forum and search those to get an idea of both number of users, and potential issues.

If you're looking for something that can be put in a car, you might want to look at a folding bike, like the Qualisports Dolphin. It's got some decent reviews here, is 50 lbs, and the battery should get you the round trip range of 40 miles (though again it's only a 36v 14ah so it would be cutting a LITTLE close).

There's also a review of it here on EBR...

It's also pretty inexpensive, so offers a less fearful jumping in point to e-bikes. I don't know if they still sell it with the rear rack included or not. They used to.

except they last longer. if the cells are matched and well balanced they work much better. I have not heard of any complaints about battery longevity. but we hear about them and the other cheap bike batteries out there. of course there are higher capacity cells but are they as reliable? I think thats what Bosch is after the most reliable battery pack.
There will always be cheaper and better . These are just nothing special.

right. give me a rad its cheaper and better :D
I mean cheaper ones, and better ones, not necessarily at the same time. I'm not saying the rad batteries are not cheaper and better though. This is not about Rad, it was about what was special about Bosch batteries.

Which brand motor is it?
I thought it was Dapu at first when I pre-order but later I learn it is TS-motor. They told me they upgraded motor as earlier Dapu mid-drives had issues at each shipment. So far I am happy with the motor it eats the hills alive. After removing speed limit I reached 26 mph which I feel not as fast as I want it to be but still OK-ish. Only issue I have with this e-bike is saddle. The saddle is too small for me and I am looking for a large cruiser style saddle.

I thought it was Dapu at first when I pre-order but later I learn it is TS-motor. They told me they upgraded motor as earlier Dapu mid-drives had issues at each shipment. So far I am happy with the motor it eats the hills alive. After removing speed limit I reached 26 mph which I feel not as fast as I want it to be but still OK-ish. Only issue I have with this e-bike is saddle. The saddle is too small for me and I am looking for a large cruiser style saddle.
I bought Cloud 9 Sunlite

Back