Rad City tire pressure

Stefi

Any recommendations for an ideal tire pressure for Rad City 4? As per Rad power website should be between 50-60 psi,; I’m 150 lbs and I’m doing just regular bike pathways around my neighborhood . Thanks

I'm 315 and use 50-55 or so :cool:

If I were your weight I'd probably start at like 40psi.

Are you familiar with Slime? A LOT of us use it (or something similar) for flat prevention. I would HIGHLY recommend it!

I'm 315 and use 50-55 or so :cool:

If I were your weight I'd probably start at like 40psi.

Are you familiar with Slime? A LOT of us use it (or something similar) for flat prevention. I would HIGHLY recommend it!
Not sure what it is? Let me know please.

I'm a bit confused about battery charging-based on Owner's manual you should never leave the battery unattended during charging process-this process may take few hours, first three times almost 12 hours, so what you have to do-stay beside the battery all that time? Also as per owner's manual the battery should be charge and store at a tempreture between 10-25 C or 50f-77f-these days when outside temperature is about 32c in my garage is getting close to 40c-what to do in this case? It is safe to leave the battery on the bike and/or charging at this temperature? or charge and keep the battery better in the house when is so hot? Thanks

I think that maybe the manual's suggestions are a bit "conservative". At the same time, not REAL keen on bringing a battery in the house - unless it's to protect it from REALLY cold temps.

12 hour charge suggestions could be interpreted as "overnight" in my opinion. Some of that is because I'm so familiar with them, and my lack of paranoia may be a factor as well. I do NOT monitor my batteries in person for the entire charge!

You can do a little research on Slime and similar, or just got to Walmart or any auto supply and get some. I use about 4 oz. in each tire. Cheap prevention that's very easy to install, especially if you install with the valve stem at the top so the liquid runs down when inside the tire.

There are two kinds of Slime. One for tires with tubes and one for tubeless tires. Pay attention and get the right kind!

Slime is great stuff. It's a liquid goo that lines the inside of your tubes so that if they are punctured air pressure forces the Slime into the puncture, clogging it up and sealing it. It's not a 100% cure for flats but it's about the next best thing. You don't even know it's there, doing it's job.

As for tire pressure, it's not an exact science unless maybe you are a princess and the pea kind of person. pick a pressure somewhere in the right general range, try it for while, then try something else until you find what feels right for you.

TT

Just be aware that Slime brand sealant (and any other latex based one) dries out over time and loses effectiveness. Replacement recommendations range from one to two years depending on conditions. With tubes, this means throwing them away every 1-2 years and replacing, then re-Sliming them (as they can't be cleaned out like tubeless tires, which is actually a blessing because that's a messy job).

Drying out has not been my experience to date. Even if that were the case, even Walmart sells HD pre Slimed tubes (from Slime themselves) for less than 10 bucks.

Just be aware that Slime brand sealant (and any other latex based one) dries out over time and loses effectiveness. Replacement recommendations range from one to two years depending on conditions. With tubes, this means throwing them away every 1-2 years and replacing, then re-Sliming them (as they can't be cleaned out like tubeless tires, which is actually a blessing because that's a messy job).
Sounds logical but I don't recall ever hearing about this before, and it doesn't match my experience either. Do you have a reference for this? Slime doesn't seem to mention it.

In any case, for anyone who rides much, replacing tires and tubes every couple of years sounds about right anyway, so as AHicks implies, this isn't all that big a deal. Still, depending on the condition of my tires if I get another flat (after no flats for about two years since adding Slime), I'll probably just add more Slime. Unless I'm surprised by a flat though, I already have my new tires ready to replace the old ones, so my Slime will probably outlast my tires.

TT

From Slimes own FAQ ( http://www.slime.com/us/faq-details.php?id=17: )

"What happens to Slime’s sealants after 2 years?

Slime sealant is a liquid that may dry out over long periods of time. For maximum puncture protection and optimal performance, we recommended that Slime be replaced after 2 years. For most tires and tubes, this will also be the time period for replacement due to wear and tear."

I have fixed MANY flats on tubes containing Slime that was so old it was no longer fluid enough to spread itself evenly over the inner tube surface (cut the tubes open to find out what was happening). It tends to ball up when it gets really old. I have no idea of exact time installed in each case, but suspect 3 or more years.

In all fairness to Slime however, I have also demounted many tires which had Slimed tubes in them and found plenty of little messes inside the tires in places where there had been a puncture and Slime had done its job.

Last edited:
Thanks. That was quick! Still, I don't ride as much as some people and in my case, as I said, the Slime outlasted my tires, so in many cases, this is a non-issue. Still, very good to know. Thanks again.

I do have two old analog bikes that still have approximately 20 year old tires on them. Pretty sure there's no Slime in those tires, and I won't ride the bikes much more than around the block without replacing the tires and tubes. If there is Slime in any of the tubes it will be interesting to see what it looks like.

TT

60 to 65 psi if you want higher speeds and max battery life. All tubes at 65 will be at 55 within 6 weeks so it’s best to top it up real good.

60 to 65 psi if you want higher speeds and max battery life. All tubes at 65 will be at 55 within 6 weeks so it’s best to top it up real good.

Not if you are running Slime! Personally, that's one of the biggest bonuses of running the stuff....

With the stocks tires, I would almost go the maximum pressure written on the side of the tire. For the Rover (don't have the City), it is 30 PSI (I would be around 25/28 psi).

Since I went tubeless, I'm now between 15 and 20 psi and it is rock hard.

Back