RAD City Step-Thru 300 mile Impressions

Jim Mass

After the third attempt (bikes selling out in less than 5 minutes), I was successful ordering it in June getting on the road end of the month. Velofix set it up and extended a free 30-90 day tune up that RAD was offering when they were working together. I ride for pleasure and at age 74 was going to have to give up regular bike riding as I was losing stamina for the hills often having to get off and walk it up.

Everything worked well for about 100 miles than bike developed a rythmic sqeeking sound in the rear. My friend and I couldn't locate it. Finally when I had the free tune-up the tech said the spokes needed to be adjusted..Half turn each spoke eliminated the noise. Running great ever since. Riding it 50 miles a week now which is all my posterior can take even with a comfort seat. Just turned 300 miles on it as I have to transport it to a place that I can ride safely as most of the bike lanes I have seen in North San Diego County offer a 3 inch buffer between the cars and bikes so I ride on the side-walks on those roads.

I reprogrammed the governor from the 32km/hr default to 40km/hr the max setting (24.8mph). At 245 pounds riding weight max speed is 22.8. Since I'm riding for exercise most of my flat riding is at PAS 1 and 2 at a cruising speed of 15.5 mph. Someone suggested I reprogram my wheel size from 26" to 28" which I will do after I check the speed against my Garmen GPS.

After a few weeks of "blowin by" many of the road bikes I've settled down to mostly PAS 1 at 15.5 mph. Riding 25 miles per day. PAS 1 for 10 miles. PAS 2 on the return leg (15 miles). Goal is to ride it all at PAS 1. On the "Fuel" gauge it uses one block every 15 miles with 60 pounds air on a mostly flat surface.

Accessories:
one "Mirrycle" wide view outside mirror https://www.mirrycle.com/product-category/mirrors/ No Mirror buzz. Solid view of cars and bikes. Eliminates the "startle" affect when riders come up behind you and dont announce themselves when passing.

One Northwest "JA-E-Bike throttle attachment" https://1859-northwest.myshopify.com/products/e-bike-thumb-throttle-attachment

As I get more comfortable and confident with it I'm riding more streets with low traffic . When on roads with 25 mph speed limits, riding 15-18 mph gets more respect from the vehicles so its safer and I stay off the roads during commute hours, So far I'm happy with it and now look for reasons to ride it.

Thanks for the update. My Radcity Step-Thru also has a little rhythmic squeak when riding. I might have to double-check the spokes. I keep the PSI around 50-55; but, I've noticed it can drop around 5-8 PSI per month compared to my Radrover at 1-2 PSI.

I kept the wheel size at default for the Radcity Step-thru and adjusted my Radrover from 26" to the 28" size. I didn't notice my mph/mileage was off on my Radrover for almost two years until the wife and I rode the Rover/City side-by-side. We match mph/trip mileage now and read the same mph on those neighborhood radar speed limit signs.

Doing Great Jim Mass. Keep at it and watch the stamina return.
Remember that old saying:
A Mass at rest tends to stay at rest, but a Mass in motion tends to stay in motion.

Adjusting the spokes:
I had assumed the bikes were shipped to Seattle then opened up a tuned before reshipping to the purchaser. Velofix said 'not so". RAD has regional warehouses. Southern Cal's are in Los Angeles. The bikes are shipped to the the regional warehouses direct from China. then redirected to the nearest purchaser. That is also the reason delivery is so fast after they receive our credit card information.

I assume the spoke tension is based on the approximate weight of the rider. We in the west have men's and women's style bikes. In Europe they have only one style - "step-thru's". Most women weigh under 180 pounds so tension is set for that weight. I bought the step-thru because my right leg does not have the range of motion it had when I was younger. With a "bar" type bike I have to almost lay it on the ground to get my leg over the seat. Steping thru is wonderful and safer.

Why thank you Amy!
I try to be inspirational to the winners who like to keep themselves active.
Jim is no doubt, tired of hearing it.
Also count me as another in favor of the Park Tool spoke wrench.

Back