Rad City 4 torque

Stefi

I’m looking to buy a Rad City 4 , any feedback on torque and acceleration? It is noticeable slow? ICan you start from a full stop just using the throttle? What range can expect using just the throttle?
Thanks

I have a rad city step thru. I also have some hills where I ride and it works great. Yes you can start from a full stop with the throttle. As far as range on just throttle I never tried it, but on a normal ride I go about 15 miles and it just used 1 bar out of 5 so 20% of my battery. I usually recharge when I get down to 3 bars with about 35 miles on it. My wife has the mini step thru with the geared hub motor and I ride both. Her bike does have a bit more torque pulling hills but it is not that big a deal. Her bike seems to use more battery than mine on the same ride. I prefer the city and it has a very comfortable ride.
Tom

We have both Rad City ST and Reg. frame. I find the reg. frame a bit zippier than the ST model. Their both fast, don't get me wrong. In PAS 2,3,4 or 5, you'll cruise along at 16 - 23 mph without any problem. From a standstill, you will need a bit of throttle to get moving though. For hills, you will definitely need to peddle. I did a short single track, mostly dirt and mud in PAS 5, uphill all the way and the Rad City did just fine. You'll love it!

We have both Rad City ST and Reg. frame. I find the reg. frame a bit zippier than the ST model. Their both fast, don't get me wrong. In PAS 2,3,4 or 5, you'll cruise along at 16 - 23 mph without any problem. From a standstill, you will need a bit of throttle to get moving though. For hills, you will definitely need to peddle. I did a short single track, mostly dirt and mud in PAS 5, uphill all the way and the Rad City did just fine. You'll love it!
Thanks! Sounds encouraging!

As far as range on just throttle I never tried it, but on a normal ride I go about 15 miles and it just used 1 bar out of 5 so 20% of my battery.
Tom

Stefi, this is not an accurate comparison because those bars are not linear. One bar used at #5 does not equal the same amount of energy as bar #1.

They're more like a voltmeter and that first bar acts more like 2-3 bars to me. I've got about 2000 miles on my 2018 RadCity ST and I even ride it through the winter with Schwalbe Winter Marathon studded tires on it. I am also trained in electronics so I notice these nuanced details.

It's not super fast to pull you away from a light or stop sign but it will go. I personally feel the power the most around 12mph when I pull the throttle all the way back. If you're looking for more torque off the line you might consider their radwagon 4 which has a geared hub motor.

I load mine up with 30-42 items of groceries and it still goes from a start on just throttle. I've got 2 Wald 582 folding baskets and a BIG customized cooler mounted on the back. I use it almost exclusively as a mule. Done great for 2 years now.

Stefi, this is not an accurate comparison because those bars are not linear. One bar used at #5 does not equal the same amount of energy as bar #1.

They're more like a voltmeter and that first bar acts more like 2-3 bars to me. I've got about 2000 miles on my 2018 RadCity ST and I even ride it through the winter with Schwalbe Winter Marathon studded tires on it. I am also trained in electronics so I notice these nuanced details.

It's not super fast to pull you away from a light or stop sign but it will go. I personally feel the power the most around 12mph when I pull the throttle all the way back. If you're looking for more torque off the line you might consider their radwagon 4 which has a geared hub motor.

I load mine up with 30-42 items of groceries and it still goes from a start on just throttle. I've got 2 Wald 582 folding baskets and a BIG customized cooler mounted on the back. I use it almost exclusively as a mule. Done great for 2 years now.
Thanks for your feedback; I just recieved today the box with the Rad City 4 and don't know what to do, should I return it and look for a more zippy bike, so bad taht you cannot test drive this bike, if I open the box cannot return anymore and I'm afraid the torque off the line will disappoint me.

Here is a YouTube video showing the comparison of the Rover vs. Wagon (geared motor vs direct drive). The last 15 seconds or so shows a head to head race between the two bikes. You can draw your own conclusions as to acceleration and speed.

Good luck! - RangerDave

Thanks for your feedback; I just recieved today the box with the Rad City 4 and don't know what to do, should I return it and look for a more zippy bike, so bad taht you cannot test drive this bike, if I open the box cannot return anymore and I'm afraid the torque off the line will disappoint me.
Put it together and ride it. It's so much fun you won't be disappointed!
(I'm just bummed mine croaked last night, but I do have 2 years on it)

Here is a YouTube video showing the comparison of the Rover vs. Wagon (geared motor vs direct drive). The last 15 seconds or so shows a head to head race between the two bikes. You can draw your own conclusions as to acceleration and speed.

Good luck! - RangerDave
That was a very good video; from that one seems a very little difference in acceleration, if it's only that much is not a big issue for me; I read this review for the Rad City that I didn't like...looks like more you read tougher to decide what to do...

That was a very good video; from that one seems a very little difference in acceleration, if it's only that much is not a big issue for me; I read this review for the Rad City that I didn't like...looks like more you read tougher to decide what to do...
Actually on the Rad Power Bikes website both models have Geared Hub Motor....

------

Good luck! - RangerDave
grandma mode?

The newer model Wagon comes with a geared hub motor. The older models came with the direct drive motor. The linked video is with the older DD motor.

Unless you have substantial hills to climb, I think you’ll be very happy with the City you have in hand. It will provide you with many miles of smiles!

RangerDave

Actually on the Rad Power Bikes website both models have Geared Hub Motor....

If you are thinking the Rad City uses a geared rear hub, I think maybe you should have another look. From their website just a moment ago.

city-electric-commuter-bike#specs

RadCity4_feature-5_750x500-v1584649952092.jpg

750W Shengyi Direct Drive Hub Motor
The direct drive hub motor provides smooth acceleration and features regenerative braking to help recharge the battery any time you engage the brake levers.

I think he was referring to the Rover and (new) Wagon models as both having geared hub motors currently on the Rad website when replying to my YouTube comparison video. At least that is how I took the comment.

RangerDave

If you are thinking the Rad City uses a geared rear hub, I think maybe you should have another look. From their website just a moment ago.

city-electric-commuter-bike#specs

RadCity4_feature-5_750x500-v1584649952092.jpg

750W Shengyi Direct Drive Hub Motor
The direct drive hub motor provides smooth acceleration and features regenerative braking to help recharge the battery any time you engage the brake levers.
Thanks for your feedback, yes I know the City have the direct drive hub motor ; as mentioned before my only concern for this motor is the torque is only 40 Nm compared with geared motor at 80 Nm; some reviews were saying because of that the acceleration is slower; couldn’t find any video to show the Rad City acceleration from a full stop using only the throttle

I’m looking to buy a Rad City 4 , any feedback on torque and acceleration? It is noticeable slow? ICan you start from a full stop just using the throttle? What range can expect using just the throttle?
Thanks
The wife and I did 34 miles yesterday. Rad City ST for her and Reg. frame for me. Mostly flats, PAS 1 or 2 for the flats, the last few miles was all up hill, twisting path. In PAS 4 & 5, these bikes zoomed right up, no problems. This hill would have killed us on an analog bike! We arrived back at our truck tired, but not gassed!

Stefi, I don't understand the hesitancy. There should be little doubt regarding the fact that a bike with 40 Nm torque cannot accelerate as quickly as a bike with twice that much. It's not an "if" regarding acceleration, but about how quickly! Not clear why you would need to see that demonstrated on a video, but you may find somebody has done that at some point if you look long enough.

As mentioned many times by many people already in response to this and very similar questions you've posted previously, the City WILL accelerate away from a stop, and it's perfectly capable of doing that with just the throttle. Full throttle will allow you to accelerate with all available power. PLENTY to accelerate from a stop!

I'm pretty sure you'll find the City has plenty of power, until you get into the bigger hills, which you may not even have in your riding area. In the hills, things get pretty subjective as well as dependent on varying conditions (rider weight for instance).

Stefi, I don't understand the hesitancy. There should be little doubt regarding the fact that a bike with 40 Nm torque cannot accelerate as quickly as a bike with twice that much. It's not an "if" regarding acceleration, but about how quickly! Not clear why you would need to see that demonstrated on a video, but you may find somebody has done that at some point if you look long enough.

As mentioned many times by many people already in response to this and very similar questions you've posted previously, the City WILL accelerate away from a stop, and it's perfectly capable of doing that with just the throttle. Full throttle will allow you to accelerate with all available power. PLENTY to accelerate from a stop!

I'm pretty sure you'll find the City has plenty of power, until you get into the bigger hills, which you may not even have in your riding area. In the hills, things get pretty subjective as well as dependent on varying conditions (rider weight for instance).
Probably you’re right! I’ll put the bike together this weekend and I’ll start to ride it!

Good for you!

It'll be a bit before you get used to all of what's going on, so don't put yourself in any situations that are going to stress you! Stay in your neighborhood for a bit if you can.

Betting you'll have that familiar smile that won't go away soon....

Back