Racks on Racks on Racks

SpartyOn11

Region
USA
My brain is about to explode looking at hitch racks for my 2 new Rize RX bikes. I really like the 1up Super Duty rack because it looks beefy and looks like it will outlast my car. Unfortunately, the way it holds the bikes on the rack may not be the best for my Rize RX bikes (due to the fenders). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My brain is about to explode looking at hitch racks for my 2 new Rize RX bikes. I really like the 1up Super Duty rack because it looks beefy and looks like it will outlast my car. Unfortunately, the way it holds the bikes on the rack may not be the best for my Rize RX bikes (due to the fenders). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Yeah, 1up can sell you fender cushions or you can make your own out of a pool noodle. I have the Super Duty, (just added 2nd rack) and it is rock solid.

Recently purchased this rack. Will carry significantly more weight than rated. I've been off road, rough roads and no issues so far. It was on sale for $82 at the time.

Good luck with your search.

Yeah, 1up can sell you fender cushions or you can make your own out of a pool noodle. I have the Super Duty, (just added 2nd rack) and it is rock solid.
I did see this on the website. I also read some other threads about this and people mentioned that over time the pressure on the fender could actually damage the fender. I wonder on the front tire if it would be secure enough to just put the front lock just below the fender? It wouldn't be as close to the frame but it would still hold a substantial amount of the wheel.

Recently purchased this rack. Will carry significantly more weight than rated. I've been off road, rough roads and no issues so far. It was on sale for $82 at the time.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks. I will check it out. I just am leery sometimes when it comes to cheaper racks. You spend so much on a bike I dont want to get a cheaper rack and have it fall off while driving. It helps to know you have had no issues though.

Thanks. I will check it out. I just am leery sometimes when it comes to cheaper racks. You spend so much on a bike I dont want to get a cheaper rack and have it fall off while driving. It helps to know you have had no issues though.
be careful with the cheap racks. the rack mentioned above is rated for bikes 40lbs and under. i wouldnt use it for a 55 lb ebike...

I would describe the rack as inexpensive. It is heavy, being made of steel, so moving it around could be an issue, it does disassemble rather easily. The tire nests are deep (27.5 tires) and the center retainer works very well. My ebike is 50+ lbs and usually have another bike along, got caught in the rain the other dsy and the mud was rather thick so the weight was up there. Wait, no garden hose at the trailhead OMG!

As an engineer I would rather have this rack than my buddies big dollar mostly plastic rack.

What seemed to be the issue(s) with the rack?
Nothing huge other than it just didn't feel safe. Now compared to my 1up, it's night and day. 1up only has 2 contact points with the bike and is rock solid. Yes quite abit more $$, but I paid good money for the ebikes and dont need to worry about rack failure. Learned my lesson a long time ago trying to haul a boat with a cheap trailer!

@Taylor57 Do you use the rack with a bike that has fenders? Any issues? I know they can sell foam pads but I wonder if the fender is prone to breaking under the pressure of the wheel lock and road bumps.

@Taylor57 Do you use the rack with a bike that has fenders? Any issues? I know they can sell foam pads but I wonder if the fender is prone to breaking under the pressure of the wheel lock and road bumps.
Yeah, my Frey CC has plastic fenders and I am able to secure the bike with no problem. I ended up taking the plastic fenders off of one of my Espin Sports so I did not have to worry about it and now I like the Sport sans fenders...

Yeah, my Frey CC has plastic fenders and I am able to secure the bike with no problem. I ended up taking the plastic fenders off of one of my Espin Sports so I did not have to worry about it and now I like the Sport sans fenders...
I assume the times you have used it with fenders there has been no issues?

Behold the KAC from Amazon:
Seems solidly built and engineered.
20210902_193428.jpg
20210902_193542.jpg

I have the KAC rack, and have found it very satisfactory. We took 2 bikes (only one was an ebike) on a trip over Snoqualmie Pass and up to the Sun Lakes state park. This was on the back of a Rialta. I watched it often in the mirror, and never saw it sway or wobble. I like the tilting lock/unlock feature, as it has a beefy handle on it that makes it easy to use even with heavy bikes.

Back