Quick release latch issue

Psych Ill Peace

Has anyone experienced an issue with the quick release latch on the ejoe epik se 2015 frame? After 2 rides, the medal clamp does not lock. The plastic locking mechanism secures the clamp slightly, though I am afraid that that plastic does not appear very durable and may not hold the clamp securely over time. Any feedback is kindly appreciated. Thank you.

The plastic part is just there to make sure the clamp doesn't open (come unlocked) on its own, but the part that actually does the locking is a ball-shaped piece of metal that inserts into the clamp. I must admit, I did just check my Epik SE (owned for about 6 weeks) and the clamp has more play than I'd like. It definitely clamps and holds in place, and the plastic piece gives it a bit of extra security that it won't unclamp, but there's a good amount of movement in the clamp itself in the locked position. Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.

Has anyone experienced an issue with the quick release latch on the ejoe epik se 2015 frame? After 2 rides, the medal clamp does not lock. The plastic locking mechanism secures the clamp slightly, though I am afraid that that plastic does not appear very durable and may not hold the clamp securely over time. Any feedback is kindly appreciated. Thank you.
-----------------------

The plastic mechanism is to prevent accidental operation of the latch, but has nothing to do with the tightness of the clamping mechanism. The setup works by means of a bolt head that is pulled tight by the camming action of the swinging lever. The bolt head, which a plated round headed capscrew might be coming loose (backing out a little) ... its loctited to hold proper adjustment, but might need to be reset and re-loctited to allow the lever to pull it more tightly.

There should be no "play" between frame the hinged frame members with the lever latched, and the lever should SNAP into place, requiring a two-finger tug to open it.

There should be no "play" between frame the hinged frame members with the lever latched, and the lever should SNAP into place, requiring a two-finger tug to open it.

What I meant by "play" is that the clamp itself has a small range of motion even when the "bolt head" is engaged. The frame and hinge does not have any play at all, it is tight.

So, I just checked it again, and I found the plastic piece definitely needed tightening, which I just did. That pretty much resolves any concern I have. While the clamp itself still has some play, it appears to me to be solidly clamped and isn't going anywhere with the plastic piece now confidently preventing accidental unclamping. Not sure if this addresses the OP's issue or not.

The plastic part is just there to make sure the clamp doesn't open (come unlocked) on its own, but the part that actually does the locking is a ball-shaped piece of metal that inserts into the clamp. I must admit, I did just check my Epik SE (owned for about 6 weeks) and the clamp has more play than I'd like. It definitely clamps and holds in place, and the plastic piece gives it a bit of extra security that it won't unclamp, but there's a good amount of movement in the clamp itself in the locked position. Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not.

Yes RR, it appears you and I have share a similar experience with the quick release locking mechanism for the battery frame. Do you think an ordinary bike shop would know how to repair this? It would be nice to be able to fix this independently, though I would be willing to throw myself to the mercy of a professional bike mechanic if needed. Any tips about how how you and I might be able to resolve this on our E-Joe's?

-----------------------

The plastic mechanism is to prevent accidental operation of the latch, but has nothing to do with the tightness of the clamping mechanism. The setup works by means of a bolt head that is pulled tight by the camming action of the swinging lever. The bolt head, which a plated round headed capscrew might be coming loose (backing out a little) ... its loctited to hold proper adjustment, but might need to be reset and re-loctited to allow the lever to pull it more tightly.

Thank you Temecularider,

I will try to see if I can independently reset the plated round headed capscrew. I'm thinking it may be more of a challenge than it seems but I'll consult a bike shop if it comes to that. The metal clamp on mine also has some "play" and it seems as if the plastic mechanism is doing most of the work in preventing the quick release lock from opening. As always, any feedback is much appreciated.

Yes RR, it appears you and I have share a similar experience with the quick release locking mechanism for the battery frame. Do you think an ordinary bike shop would know how to repair this? It would be nice to be able to fix this independently, though I would be willing to throw myself to the mercy of a professional bike mechanic if needed. Any tips about how how you and I might be able to resolve this on our E-Joe's?

I see your issue is mostly resolved as a result of tightening the plastic mechanism. I'll see if i can do the same. Thanks.

I would say at this point I don't feel my Epik has an issue. While there is still some movement to the clamp in the locked position, the plastic piece keeps it from moving to the point where it would unlock (and it still wouldn't do this on its own anyway). The clamp is still doing all the heavy lifting. My previous concern was that the plastic piece only loosely connected to the clamp, but since I tightened it (and went for a ride today), it seems solid to me.

I would say at this point I don't feel my Epik has an issue. While there is still some movement to the clamp in the locked position, the plastic piece keeps it from moving to the point where it would unlock (and it still wouldn't do this on its own anyway). The clamp is still doing all the heavy lifting. My previous concern was that the plastic piece only loosely connected to the clamp, but since I tightened it (and went for a ride today), it seems solid to me.
How about a pic?

How about a pic?

I did you one better...

You can see when the plastic piece is rotated into place on the clamp, it causes the clamp to move away from the frame slightly. Then you can see the "play" of the clamp even when locked into place, both with the plastic piece in place, and when the plastic piece is not in place. At the end of the video you can see just how far I can pull the clamp out before it finally disengages. I don't consider any of this to be a problem, however. It feels plenty secure to me.

I did you one better...

You can see when the plastic piece is rotated into place on the clamp, it causes the clamp to move away from the frame slightly. Then you can see the "play" of the clamp even when locked into place, both with the plastic piece in place, and when the plastic piece is not in place. At the end of the video you can see just how far I can pull the clamp out before it finally disengages. I don't consider any of this to be a problem, however. It feels plenty secure to me.
I agree with you @RavingRoo...this is a non issue.

I did you one better...

-------

I guess I misunderstood, and thought you were RELYING on the plastic piece to keep the latch from opening. I see now you latch is overcentering just fine, and its your plastic "safety" alone that's the issue. Ok, yes, well my "safety" must be bit closer to the frame so it engages the latch arm decently with it full closed.
I agree with you @RavingRoo...this is a non issue.

---------
As I read your posts, its clear your bikes won't be "popping open", but I guess I misunderstood the nature of the problem. I thought you guys were discussing a loose latching lever handle issue, but now its clear the handle is locking up ok, but the handle itself had play for some reason. I've rechecked my Ejoe Epik Se latch after I adjusted it on receipt .. and while it WAS a bit loosely locked what it arrived, once adjusted, its nice and tight.

The latch handle snaps into place with firm push of my thumb, and the is NO play in the latch handle! The plastic "insurance interlock piece" flips down and fits well, with its slot centered over the handle tab, with no contact either side. I CAN move the handle, but need to flex it a bit either way within the notch of the interlock slot.

I seems to me you guys can center up the plastic piece better by filing or sanding the inside mount surface so the slot in that part fits closer to the frame, and thus centers over the latch tab more accurately.

@Temecularider Yeah, that's why I figured I'd post a video to make it clear what I was describing. I definitely was not relying on the plastic part to keep the latch from opening. The latch requires some decent pressure to lock/unlock. The plastic piece is just extra insurance. My main issue was that the plastic piece, when turned into position, pulls the latch away from the frame slightly. I don't think its a problem, but if I'm bored one weekend, I might look into filing it down as you suggested.

-----------------------

I took your advice and everything is resolved. It simply needed a very small adjustment just as you suggested. Thank you.

Back