FullFat Six 10.0 Issue

inbred

Region
USA
Just bought a new E-Mountain Bike. A Haibike Full Fat Six 10.0. Haibike has gone belly up in North America and after many years, there will be no 2021 line up. So I had to get their latest, greatest and last fat e-bike. I just got the shipment and am assembling the bike. For the most part it is shipped 90 percent assembled and there are only a few easy steps out of the box before you are ready to ride. I ran into a snag and wanted to see if I could get an opinion or two from any Haibike owners. There is a wire lead that comes down from the handlebar display/controller. This wire (with its set of leads) routes through a frame hole via a grommet. Peaking out of the frame hole is the wire that is routed down to the motor and battery. Presumably these two wires should connect up within the frame via a set of male and female quick-lock disconnects. In assembling this bike I notice that there is a female quick-lock disconnect on the wire going down to the battery/motor but no corresponding male quick disconnect on wire coming from the display/controller. There is a wire termination that allows the two wires to be attached together but without the lock mechanism of a set of male and female disconnects, a slight force on the wire will pull apart the connection. I contacted the bike shop and they told me that this is the way Haibike makes this connection, replacing the male quick disconnect with a rubber seal. I don't get why there would be a quick-lock disconnect on one end, but not the other. And no locking mechanism. Especially given that turning the handlebars all the way in a direction places an obvious force on the wire. One idea I have is that on the display/controller side there is a brownish orange gasket that appears to be there to stop moisture from entering the connection. I wonder if maybe the Haibike engineers decided that this gasket was necessary, but would not fit within a quicklock disconnect. Anyway, when I make this connection it is a very poor one. The slightest force pulls it apart cutting off power to the display/contoller. The whole thing seems off to me. Sure I could tape it or silicone it together, but it will no longer be a quick disconnect and may be very tough to separate once time goes by. In the photo my fingers are holding onto the grommet that routes the wire into the frame. It does not pinch the wire so as to prevent force on the connection of the two wires. Beyond the grommet you can see the five individually colored wires which is where I would expect to find a male quick-lock disconnect. You'll note the wire coming out of the frame has a female quick-lock disconnect attached. Should I just take the bike shop's recommendation and slap it together and ride, or dig deeper into a better solution? seems like poor engineering for a $5800 bike, Searched for an answer, but none came upon here on the forum. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail-5.jpeg
    thumbnail-5.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 343
Where do you get this info that that Haibke is leaving N America and there won't be anymore bikes?
Answer to your question: Plug it in and ride the bike.
If you think if will come apart, put shrink wrap over it... ride the bike.

Looking for information on the Yamaha Side Switch and I found a picture of a side switch that indeed does have plugs to go into the female side. Link and check post number 4 of the picture of the switch and wire assembly: https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/yamaha-pw-x2-switching-itself-off-at-idle.16293/

I think you need to insist on your LBS getting a new switch assembly and doing it right.

On another front, the Haibike USA website says the 2021 models are due out later in the year. However.........the model lineup is really cut back and I see no Full FatSix in the lineup. There is only one Yamaha powered ebike in the group, the rest are Bosch.

At a time when the entire Ebike industry is exploding, Haibike USA seems to be laying a dud. Even their graphics are flat out dull. Death by a thousand cuts of indifference.

On another front, the Haibike USA website says the 2021 models are due out later in the year. However.........the model lineup is really cut back and I see no Full FatSix in the lineup. There is only one Yamaha powered ebike in the group, the rest are Bosch.

At a time when the entire Ebike industry is exploding, Haibike USA seems to be laying a dud. Even their graphics are flat out dull. Death by a thousand cuts of indifference.
It is definitely unfortunate, but if you look at the history of Ebikes in the US, both Haibike and BH/Easy Motion are simply victims of poor timing. 3-4 years ago (and earlier), those were the go-to names for electric bikes in the US - yes there were others, and Trek/Giant/Spec were definitely in the market, but those 2 brands (and a few other European companies) were doing the innovative work, and had most of the best options. They had US headquarters and were operating at the front of the pack in the US.

They are all victims of really bad timing at the end of the day looking back from today, however their perceived dominance of what was a comparatively small portion of the market is really more related to a majority of the US market viewing bikes as toys and recreation, and not a tool for practical every-day use. The pandemic hasn't necessarily even changed that, it just so happens that bike riding (as a toy/recreation industry) ended up being a pass-time that people could do, resulting in the current boom. I do hope that the boom leads to a longer term shift in the US - that as things return to normal, people will start to use those bikes they bought to get outside to also ride to work or do errands. A market like that could bring some of the European brands back if it is all sustainable. Here is to hoping that happens!

Those wires should go into the male part of the connector and lock in. That's a weather pack connector (the rubber piece gets pushed into the connector to provide a seal). try pushing those wires as far in as you can and they should lock in and not be able to come out. It also looks like the male portion of the connector is locked into place. remove it and then attempt tp seat the wires in if that makes sense. If you look at the silver barrel on each wire it should have a little locking tab that sticks up. You push the wire in and it can't come out without a special tool, etc.

Thanks. I did figure it out eventually. Ended up taking the bike back to E-Bikes 508 in Plymouth, Mass where I bought its from. Please recall they had shipped me the bike upon purchase and when it arrived had paint damage that evidence suggests the seller was aware of. Plus it had a broke cable and the lack of male quick disconnect. That last issue was one the seller's tech completely misguided me on repair attempts. Anyway I ended up driving it back ( five hours one way. ) At the store the seller tried to get me to buy another bike. Told him no thanks, I could not do business with his company due to their unsavory practices. Then I drove to New Hamsphire where another dealer sold me the same bike for $300 less so pretty decent ending. As a result, I would caution anyone from buying an online bike from E-Bikes 508. Maybe live in person, but definitely not online. If your bike arrives damaged you cannot rely on their repair department and you will be expected to pay return shipping.

Good to hear....yeah I got my full fat six from Crazy Lenny's in Madison, WI and it was perfect. I am about to put a Manitou Mastodon Pro fork on mine. Love the bike!

Why the Fork change? Are you unsatisfied with the Rock Shox Bluto? Who did you purchase the Manitou Mastodon Pro from?

Why the Fork change? Are you unsatisfied with the Rock Shox Bluto? Who did you purchase the Manitou Mastodon Pro from?

I ride the bike pretty hard and do jump it quite a bit and the Bluto is just too spindly. The Manitou made a big difference in ride too as it has high and low speed compression adjustments. I got it through my dealer and had to wait several months!

I ride the bike pretty hard and do jump it quite a bit and the Bluto is just too spindly. The Manitou made a big difference in ride too as it has high and low speed compression adjustments. I got it through my dealer and had to wait several months!
Be careful of jumping your Full FatSix. Take a look over at the German Pedelecs Forum, Haibike threads and you'll find a few with cracked seat tubes from one too many exuberant jumping.

That's the thing about Haibike that makes me cringe; they pay a person named Sam Pilgrim who does some crazy stunts with his latest and greatest H-bike. But never do they show what happens to Sam when that seat tube cracks in two; or when Sam opens up a warranty claim after jumping his All Mountain Carbon Fiber down the face of Mt Killamanjaro.....

Wait...the seat tube is cracking just from jumping or are they sitting on the seat while jumping? Where is it cracking excatly?

Sounds like you did not bother checking on the German pedelec forum. I'll make it 50% easier for you by clicking on this link, which is a Brit emtb forum: https://www.emtbforums.com/communit...re-the-sensorcable-comes-from-the-motor.6841/

I'll leave you on your own to research the german pedelec haibike forums.
Thank you....looking at the ones that cracked...my bike has a completely different downtube design and seems much beefier with bracing surrounding the shock. Time will tell!

Back