Quick-E+

Just out of curiosity, has anyone fitted a chain guard to their Quick-E+? I ride to work in trousers and I'm always worried about getting them caught in the chain. I use a leg cuff at the moment, but it's just another thing to put on when I'm riding in winter, so I'd love to get a chain guard to prevent it happening.

I've had a look at a few aftermarket options, but they all seem to need some kind of attachment around the crank. I was hoping to find one that mounts to the seat tube, but can't seem to find anything. The other option might be to try to find an aftermarket mount from a LaFree, but I can't seem to find any or these online either.

Anyway, I'd love some advice from anyone who has done this, or just knows more about chainguards than I do?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone fitted a chain guard to their Quick-E+? I ride to work in trousers and I'm always worried about getting them caught in the chain. I use a leg cuff at the moment, but it's just another thing to put on when I'm riding in winter, so I'd love to get a chain guard to prevent it happening.

I've had a look at a few aftermarket options, but they all seem to need some kind of attachment around the crank. I was hoping to find one that mounts to the seat tube, but can't seem to find anything. The other option might be to try to find an aftermarket mount from a LaFree, but I can't seem to find any or these online either.

Anyway, I'd love some advice from anyone who has done this, or just knows more about chainguards than I do?

I purchased an aftermarket solution that does not require attachment to the crank/bottom bracket. I will have to look for the link...

That would be awesome, thank you. I've seen a few oversized chain guides that might do the trick, but I was hoping for more of a larger guard to keep the grease off. Great to hear from someone that has actually fitted something!

Sounds like my LBS have fixed this problem with firmware updates and a patch to the system which Giant sent them. Apparently it has more power than before as well now. They are just waiting for a new rear mech hanger before I get it back!
All seems well now - power even better than before it seems and smooth delivery. Glad to have it back!

Reactions: CDB
Hi all.

I posted in another thread about some nasty water ingress issues I had earlier this year on my 2018 Quick-E+ (AU), and the hassles I had trying to convince my Giant LBS to fix it. Just because I have a Speedbox fitted, does NOT give them the right to simply wash their hands of the problem with a screen that would not turn on (nor the motor for that matter) after a very wet ride home from work one day.

But of course it's always easier to use the classic 'get out of jail free' card and simply say - "You've modified the bike - we're not touching it."

Anyway, just prior to CV19 lockdown I got my lovely new EVO screen fitted (after just about begging them to help me save my $4,000 investment from the scrap heap). Some helpful folks on here advised to spray screen edges and cable joints with CRC 808 spray.

I did that, and she's pretty much been mothballed since (with only a few recreational rides).

Now that I'm starting my daily 20km commute again this week (with showers around Brisbane!) - how often should I be re-applying the 808 (silicone) spray to the EVO screen for commuting in the rain?

Once a month? Only after I get caught in another shower?

I was so traumatised from the grief they gave me last time she got water ingress (albeit the older, less water-resistant 'Charge' screen), that I will be extra cautious now and probably have a spare latex disposable glove in my backpack for the occasions I get caught in a down pour. From a few posts it looks like I can just throw a glove over the EVO acreen (maybe with a rubber band to secure it) to get her through the worst of it.

My daily commute is only ~10km each way so maximum rain exposure would be less than 30 mins.

Cheers,

Matt

However stupid it sounds: use a condom to protect the EVO display... Though I had to explain myself to my gf when she found a pack of rubbers in my car :D

1597129861161.png

Thanks Stefan - that's actually a very smart idea. If I give my wife a heads up that I'm buying some condoms, it's probably better than her finding them in my work backpack 😮

The 808 spray just seemed more like a 'lubricant' to me (rather than a 'sealant'), so I'm not sure how long it lasts to prevent water ingress.

Good condoms are already lubed! The CRC 808 can damage the rubber!

Wrong - (about silicon damaging rubber, not your condom lubricant - I've got no opinion on that).

You could use silicon grease or sealant around the cable ports for a longer lasting effect, depends how much waterproofing you need...

And here I thought I was adventurous using a sandwich bag and a rubber band (to waterproof my Evo, not as a contraceptive).

I have some 808 on order. Dumb question: how do I apply it? Direct spray or dab some on a rag and apply?

No showers yet to test out my new condoms over the Evo, but I will save them for a rainy day ;)

On another note, my POWER UP button on the rubber controller (older 2018 style) has become very unresponsive ....now taking at least 3-5 presses before it will respond (power down is fine, as are the other buttons).
1597877130169.jpeg

I'm guessing that after it's fair share of wear & tear (10,000+ KM's ~2.5yrs old), the contacts have worn underneath the rubber pad (even the white arrow has faded from being the most 'popular' button on the controller!

Would you suggest this is a simple enough replacement from my local Giant store? Should I even bother trying to take it apart and clean the contacts?

Any advice appreciated,

Matt

Last edited:
Hi all,

Any suggestions on where to source a replacement front mudguard for a 2019 Quick E?

Unfortunately I managed to snap mine and I was hoping to replace it with something that matched the rear.

I checked with my local Giant dealer but they had no suggestions.

I here,

I' bought a quick-e last year. It's a French model (25km/h), was a used one (2300km) when I bought it .
Now, one year later, it has more than 6000km.

IMG_4630.JPG

I'm here because I have to change the 42 teeth chainring. I should have change the chain and the rear pinions before, but I wasn't aware of this stuff... So now, the complete drivetrain has to be changed.

I've change by myself the cassette sprocket and the chain quite easily.
For the chainring, I managed to remove the spider and the two chainrings. The original chainring is a FSA WB284-42T.
I've bought a new chainring (MICHE) that normally fits well. But there, it's slightly different from the original FSA chainring. I've mounted it, but I can't use the small chainring because of the fixing nuts that are exceeding from the 42T chainring. (A counterboring is missing on the inside face go the Miche chainring).

My local dealer has found the parts that I need. But it's is sold with the 2 original chainrings + the spider and it's quite expensive. I don't need all this, and I need only one chainring. B

• Do you know chainrings models that can fit on this bike ?

I've mounted the Miche chainring as I don't use the small chainring in everyday commuting. I don't really remember if I've used this 28T ...
I saw that someone on this thread has removed the small chainring.
  • Is there technical element that I should know before doing this ?

Thanks, I sorry if I've made mistakes in my English.

Hi friends,
I haven't posted here in a while. I've been riding a lot and not connecting to ride control, I thought the other day I should connect and check the power levels on the assist. Lo and behold there is a firmware, app and some other update it wants to do. So I set it off doing the update and the 'Service Tool' message comes up on the screen. Then the app says it can't do the update and I can't use the ride control app until I take it to get serviced. Fantastic.... The bike then won't respond, it was stuck on. I had to take the battery off and on and then it worked again.

Anybody else had this issue? I can't take my bike back to the shop as I live regional and we aren't allowed to travel because of COVID. I've also got a speedbox 2 on the bike so don't know if that is what is causing the issues?

Anybody else had this issue? I can't take my bike back to the shop as I live regional and we aren't allowed to travel because of COVID. I've also got a speedbox 2 on the bike so don't know if that is what is causing the issues?

Yes I had the exact same issue with trying to update firmware a few months back. After a previous lengthy battle with my Giant LBS, I was totally dreading the thought that I had 'bricked' my bike and it was headed for the scrap heap....esp after rain ingress to the old screen was blamed on a speedbox mod! Plus the fact they don't even want to touch it if it has been chipped or modded.

It was a HUGE relief when reseating the battery got the motor into a working condition once again. After that brown pants moment, I swore I would never attempt to update firmware by the Ride Control app ever again.

I just have this horrible feeling that one day an update will brick it for good, and my LBS won't want a bar of it.

For now I'm just happy that my 2.5yo (~10,500km) bike is going to see me through another few years before I have to look at either a bike (or at least a battery) replacement.

Back