Quick-E+

Keen to hear your review on the bikespeed rs. Especially RideControl app works as per normal and install issues. Do you need to remove the crank, or can you do it without needing specific tools. Good luck

No you don't need to remove the crank, just drop the motor out which is easier the second time once you know what you are doing. Tools are just Allen Keys including a 5mm, 6mm and 8mm IIRC plus a Philips screwdriver

All of the dongles have an issue with the extra cabling which has to be stashed up the downtube where the battery is. On mine one of the cables is a bit short and you have to be careful not to over stretch the cables with the weight of the motor area.

Am waiting to receive the Bikespeed before swapping over. The E-Bike Tuning shop were very good and agreed to take back the Speedbox 2, once I post it back to Germany as long as it is still working and undamaged.

Keen to hear your review on the bikespeed rs. Especially RideControl app works as per normal and install issues. Do you need to remove the crank, or can you do it without needing specific tools. Good luck

Had mine for close to 2 weeks now, have clocked up around 250Km with it installed. I commute with it on during the week and turn it off for the weekends where range is important to me. Don't use the RideControl app, find it drains the phone too much, however all data collected was correct. For data collection, have invested in a turn by turn GPS to track all my stats, plus I wanted navigation. As a thought, tried pairing the computer to the bike via BT, it discovers but then errors when the ride starts on the bike screen. Have all the metrics I was after as already had a cadence sensor, having Nav as well is icing on the cake. FWIW purchased a Lezyne Mega XL.

Crank removal is not necessary, use the SpeedyBox 2 install videos for our model, I found them more intuitive than the paper manual from BikeSpeed.

So far very happy with the purchase of the BikeSpeed-RS!

Last edited:
I've been reading the bikespeed-rs instructions and it seems like there are various level of assist. Is that correct, or is it turn off and on only? and you use the 'assist modes' that come with the bike.

I have the Ridecontrol One controller on my explore e, so no display. I assume I would turn the bikespeed on and off with a few ups and downs on the level assist buttons?

Does it also say unless you have the custom variant, having the bikespeed dongle removed prior to factory updates is advisable?

The levels of assistance are from the bike. All the BikeSpeed-RS or any other delimiter do is unlock the 25Km/h limit so the assistance keeps going rather than cutting out.

I didn't choose a custom on/off sequence so it's up/down/up/down from normal assistance (Quick-E is Eco, Eco+, Normal, Sport and Sport+/Turbo) to turn it on/off from memory. Usually takes me a few goes to get it as it's not from the my starting assistance level (normally eco). It does briefly show on screen when I'm on the total travel time option that it's been changed.

Probably the one thing I should have done is select a custom button sequence, believe walk/info/walk/info would be a good combo or something similar to enable/disable.

There is a mode you can put it in if you take it into the shop and they do a firmware upgrade which protects it.

The levels of assistance are from the bike. All the BikeSpeed-RS or any other delimiter do is unlock the 25Km/h limit so the assistance keeps going rather than cutting out.
Probably the one thing I should have done is select a custom button sequence, believe walk/info/walk/info would be a good combo or something similar to enable/disable.

There is a mode you can put it in if you take it into the shop and they do a firmware upgrade which protects it.

Ok thanks for the info.

My light stopped working also, but was just a loose connection. A lot of taking the tire and wheel off maybe.
Which connection was loose? Was it in the motor housing or on the light itself on the fender?

Update: I checked light and it looks as if someone pried it open and the connection now won't come out. I check the connection with a multimeter and it reads 6V which is good as it means nothing wrong on the power side, just the light is gone. I can't put out the switch as it's been jammed in so I think I might have to try and source a new light cable and new light. Anyone know where I can get these?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all, this week I shall be popping down to my local Giant store to test ride an ebike. I asked if they had the Quick e+ in stock but the gentleman said as it wasn't a big seller (most people round here want fron suspension so they can ride over the Sussex Downs or our disused railway line trackbed which goes for about 35 miles I think) I reckon I will have to use an Explore bike for testing just to see how I get on with assisted power. The dimensions are only slightly different (not enough to cause major issues I think) so I should get a reasonable idea of how the Quick e+ will feel. I don't suspect I will keep the new bike in standard spec for too long anyway. I will certainly change the seat and pedals along with the grips to Ergon ones. I hopefully will post how I get on in due course but for now let's just say I can't wait to get into ebiking and hopefully get some fitness back and try to get my arthritic knee back working again.

Bill from Sussex, England

I’ve the explore e and actually went in to get the quick e. First off they are both great bikes and you are likely to be happy with either.
I test rode last years 2018 quick e (grey silver body) and the latest 2019 explore e back to back, so not an exact comparison.
Things I noted:
- I found the explore e was a bit more responsive
- the explore e riding position was a smidge but more relaxed, a plus for me with back and other joint issues.
The responsive part I put down to gearing and comparing last year demo quick e to a very new explore 2019.
-I also found the quick e a bit harsher without the front suspension. Gotta say though, splitting hairs.
- I liked the grips on the explore better
-I wanted the mudguard and the rear rack on the explore, which I had to pay extra for to retrofit on the quick e, so that helped my decision.
-Explore was also a few hundred $ cheaper I recall.
I did change the seat, as both bikes standard seat was a bit harsh on me.

I must say though, I reckon the quick e 2019 in the white is better looking than the explore.

Good luck. Buying an e bike was a great decision.

Thank you Piccoloman that's very helpful indeed. One thing I did notice (please correct me if I've got this wrong) is that both the 2019 Explore and Quick have 500 watt-rated batteries but on doing the sums the Quick has actually 490-odd watts whereas the Explore is actually nearer 410 watts. It might mean little though it might give me that extra bit of range when you consider I am not exactly a lightweight. I will discuss this in the shop. I'm surprised the Quick doesn't come rack-ready and the one on the Explore looks the part. I am not too fussed about front suspension - I can do light off-roading up the old railway just as I could on my original MTB which came out well before suspension on a bike was a thing. Ergon grips and a suspension seat post (if needed) will do, as will a suspension stem should I fancy going down that route. I can upgrade over the life of the bike. For the most part the bike's duties will involve a 8- mile round trip commute, a 14-mile Saturday or Sunday round trip journey to watch my local team and various shopping excursions. It will be my 'pub bike' too. As you say the Quick is a nice looking ebike. I'm going to flash it up a bit with orange accents such as orange pedals and little touches here and there like in paint protection- not too much, just enough to make it mine.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Bill

So I fitted the BikeSpeed-RS yesterday and took out the Speedbox 2.

Had no issues with the installation.

I prefer the fact that:-

1) It stays enabled between rides until you specifically disable it
2) You can 'deactivate' it for servicing and upgrading the firmware
3) In the RideControl app, with the Speedbox the time taken for my commute regularly showed up as 36-ish minutes which was quite wrong - I'm almost convinced that the idea was to make you think you are going quite a lot faster on average. But with the BikeSpeed it shows the correct time of 45 minutes which is much more accurate
4) All the other data such as Battery, Cadence, Elevation is now showing up in the RideControl App.
5) Sharing the data with Strava shows similar values, except Cadence in the app shows 52rpm and Strava 64rpm - I believe the Strava version. This may be down to whether you count just moving time or elapsed time.

One thing that came up recently is that the BikeSpeed may not be forwards compatible with new firmware. The makers suggest that owners check with them before upgrading their bikes. This will become more important soon as it will soon be possible to 'self-upgrade' using the App.

So today I rode along my usual route but the data was not so well behaved !

When I used the Speedbox 2, there were some inaccuracies with the time and other problems but the distance was always consistent. My commute is about 19.2 - 19.5 km depending on route. Furthermore, when I synced the data to Strava, the time would also show up correctly - App would say 38 minutes, Strava would have 44 minutes ( which is more like it).

With the BikeSpeed-RS, today, distance to work was 22.3 km ! and 18.2 km ! back along the same route. I understand how this happened - the data stopped logging accurately both times at some point along the route. So the graphs 'flatlined' after a certain distance, basically saying I was doing the same speed. In the morning, the speed was stuck at 39km/h which is why it overestimated by 3km.

I keep the phone in my back pocket so maybe the connection dropped.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a phone holder for a Moto G5 Plus?

So today I rode along my usual route but the data was not so well behaved !

When I used the Speedbox 2, there were some inaccuracies with the time and other problems but the distance was always consistent. My commute is about 19.2 - 19.5 km depending on route. Furthermore, when I synced the data to Strava, the time would also show up correctly - App would say 38 minutes, Strava would have 44 minutes ( which is more like it).

With the BikeSpeed-RS, today, distance to work was 22.3 km ! and 18.2 km ! back along the same route. I understand how this happened - the data stopped logging accurately both times at some point along the route. So the graphs 'flatlined' after a certain distance, basically saying I was doing the same speed. In the morning, the speed was stuck at 39km/h which is why it overestimated by 3km.

I keep the phone in my back pocket so maybe the connection dropped.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a phone holder for a Moto G5 Plus?

Would a Quad Lock be of any use? It seems to get good reviews and holds phones solidly

@quadlockbike

Quad Lock Cases work great. I've had them for multiple phones on multiple bikes. I even have the car stand which works great. The case is very well built. I manage to drop my phone pretty frequently and even after a few years it still looks good.

My current setup has my Quick-E display on a BarFly mount - which moves the display out in front of the handlebar and gets rid of about 1lb of metal mount - and I use the Quad Lock out front mount to hold my phone over my stem.

Thanks for the responses re Quad Lock cases. There is a 99 Bikes near me that stock them so will check them out.

Today everything worked flawlessly, so will monitor and make a decision after a few more commutes.

I know it's tricky to post images but @pullenj that sounds like a worthy candidate.

Second the use of Quad Lock, been using them for over a year. It's an easy to use mount solution and the case is decent quality and offers good protection to the device.

I would say Thumbs up. Unfortunately, I work away a lot and only had one more day's riding since the glitch. But it worked fine the next day, and I personally prefer the fact that the guys's care much more about our experience. In fact, the BikeSpeed people went into local Giant stores the next day and did some testing. They found the RideControl app often disconnected from the Bluetooth. Which is not actually my experience generally.

Back