Quick-E+

I didn't have issues with the robustness of the gearing of the hub at all. Actually I had it attached to a Schlumpf 2spd bb drive using a front hub and it was the normal one and it shifted fine as it only was under my power as normal.

What I didn't like was the lack of a solid system to keep it in the vertical dropouts. As I said there are specific "washers with tabs" on them and that wasn't clear at the time it was set up by the mechanic I entrusted the install to as he was familiar with the Di2 system and there were no clear instructions included as to their importance. As I was putting in significant amount of input the hub spit out of the drop outs resulting in severing the control wire. It also could have been that the nuts weren't torqued enough as I had checked them with a 15mm wrench not a proper torque wrench, but after getting the correct tab washers I still didn't have faith that it wouldn't happen again, at least in vertical drop outs and decided to just go back to the derailleur setup.

Quite frankly the shifting experience wasn't all that dramatic a change and I doubt I will ever go with electronic shifting again nor an IGH. The added weight and complexity just isn't worth it for me but I am the type that has to at least try things and there were good reports about the Di2. I have many years of derailleur use so I know enough to shift down approaching a stop plus my front hub motor has a throttle control so if I don't I can work my way back up to the gearing without issues if I don't. Don't let me stop you from doing it though!

Hi, I recently installed the speed box 2 to my fathom 3 e+ 29er. I noticed that the 2019 giants are a lot easier to get in Than the 2018 models and their video. Did you guys experience the same easier installation versus the speedbox tutorial video?

I noticed that my rear wheel tyre is awfully close to the the chainstay, so much so that it was rubbing at one point. Is anyone else seeing this or are your rear wheel evenly spaced within the frame? I've reattached the wheel making sure it was seated in the dropouts properly, but even with that there is only like 1mm-2mm of space between the frame and tyre.

Hi, I recently installed the speed box 2 to my fathom 3 e+ 29er. I noticed that the 2019 giants are a lot easier to get in Than the 2018 models and their video. Did you guys experience the same easier installation versus the speedbox tutorial video?

Hey Tim,
How do you find the Fathom with the Speedbox on pavement?

I noticed that my rear wheel tyre is awfully close to the the chainstay, so much so that it was rubbing at one point. Is anyone else seeing this or are your rear wheel evenly spaced within the frame? I've reattached the wheel making sure it was seated in the dropouts properly, but even with that there is only like 1mm-2mm of space between the frame and tyre.

After I fixed a puncture, my rear wheel was so misaligned I could hear a thump thump when riding fast and realised the magnet was touching the speed sensor. Span the wheel manually and there was a lot of drag too.

I investigated and there is an allen key bolt on the gear hanger side that can get loose. If it's loose, when replacing the wheel it can end up out of alignment. So I would take the wheel off, tighten up that bolt and replace and the wheel should sit centre. In other words the gap between the frame and the wheel should be fairly even both sides.

You should notice it spins a lot more freely too ;)

Hey Tim,
How do you find the Fathom with the Speedbox on pavement?
Hi, Yes

Funny you ask, as I just went out on the pavement with the Fathom today.

Simply put, it was great, especially coming from the 25kph limit that was placed before that is no longer there. Before it was always dangerous having the motor cut off when biking on the main highways (we don't have bike lanes in the Philippines yet) so the ability to accelerate up to 45kph quickly is amazing.

Here are a few other things I noticed with having the speed box 2 for the first time:

1. Battery consumption is doubled, as it never cuts off. Great to have the power, but having the motor NOT cut off after a certain speed decreased my range by half. The 500watt batt got me 50km (I could get close to double that on roads)

2. The 9 speed definitely makes it really tough to go any faster than 35-37kph on a straight road. That may be an upgrade I will. Be looking into.

3. Comfort will definitely be a problem on bumpy, hard cement roads because of the speed now creates harder bumps. I definitely will recommend a suspension seat post, more comfortable bike seat and padded shorts.

Funnily I had the battery die on me for the first time since getting my bike, and it was tough, especially it happed during a long climb. I definitely see the need to really. Manage the on and off of the speed box 2 when riding long distances.

One thing that was cool to. See is that I can easily shut it off on the fly and turn it on on the fly, which is great as the 2019 giant ebikes don't all have an LCD.

Anyways, I hope that info has value.

Tim

Hi, Yes

Anyways, I hope that info has value.

Tim

Thanks, Tim - yes, great info.
Back to an early question I had - how do you find the ability to get a workout from riding the fathom with a speedbox? I take it, as Alan111S kindly alerted me to, as the speed picks up, so does the cadence, so you are peddling faster (hence the need to look at changing the 9 speed out), and hence a bit of a workout?

Thanks, Tim - yes, great info.
Back to an early question I had - how do you find the ability to get a workout from riding the fathom with a speedbox? I take it, as Alan111S kindly alerted me to, as the speed picks up, so does the cadence, so you are peddling faster (hence the need to look at changing the 9 speed out), and hence a bit of a workout?

In terms of work out, I did quickly realize that my heart rate and legs were not working as hard, because of the speed box 2. (which quickly went from excitement to a slight disappointment) as I wanted to not be limited buy also still work out my legs.

Two things came to mind regarding this: I need to change the 9 speed. Another, which I did yesterday, is to lower the assist. The second being very interesting, as I had no limit on speed, BUT I got the work out I needed. Granted I still could only really go about 45kph on the Fathom due to the 9speed, but I was working harder. Keeping it ECO with the speed box seems to be a good balance of workout and no speed limit.

So, to answer your question, I think the best mix to get the work out on a speed box and the Fathom is to lower your assist to eco or normal and the cadence will be good enough to work out and get your heart rate high enough without having to change the 9 speed.

Anybody know how to reset tire size? I switched to WTB Byway 47s and now have lost some top speed assist with incorrect speedo reading.

Picked up my Quick-E 2019, 25Km/h limited bike on the weekend. have done about 40Km on it so far and love it!! Had a Hybrid which I'd mounted a rear hub conversion kit on that was my commute, very comfortable bike but the range was limited to around 40Km and I got sick of using a throttle, plus it'd run out of puff going up hills. Was quick though for a 250watt motor, would pretty much sit on 30Km/h on the flats.

Back to the Giant, changed the grips to Ergon GP-3. Swapped the seat with one I had from my Hybrid, a lot more comfortable now.

Added bottle cage and pump to the mount point. Quad lock mount for the phone and cupholder for my morning coffee :)

Also added an under seat mounted bag with a spare tube and tyre lever, what tool do people carry to remove the front wheel as it's not quick release?

Thinking of raising the stem slightly to bring the handlebars up, prefer a more upright riding position.

Can comfortably sit in the 26-29Km/h range on my commute to work, it's a 18Km round trip. Planning on some weekly decent length rides for fitness, 40+ km to supplement MTB weekend ride.

Love that it's so agile for its weight, the tyres suit it perfectly considering the rigid forks. Was expecting some vibrations but pleasantly surprised. Out of interest what PSI are others running their tyres at, have them at about 42 currently.

Find the 10 shifter very smooth, also the motor is so quiet compared to my Trance-E, The Quick-E+ is a Syncdrive Sport whilst the Trance is labelled a Syncdrive Pro, may get the LBS to check out the Trance just in case.

Considering upgrading the chain ring from the current 42T to perhaps 48T as some have done. Find it runs out of gears on the downhill, plus also considering overriding the speed limiter with a Speedbox and hence the chain ring upgrade. Know the bike can handle it considering the limits set in other countries using the same motor so it's only rules and software holding it back. Probably silly question, but anyone who has done the Speedbox conversion not happy with it from a reliability/problems perspective?

Been trying to track down the MIK rack deck so I can mount some pannier bags, but it's proving difficult to find in Australia, Giant is not expecting the next delivery of them until start of May, so been ringing around stores for one in stock. No luck on Ebay or Amazon either. LBS has offered a complete replacement rack from Giant which mounts to the Quick-E but they're quoting $100 for it, may go down that route as I can't be bothered waiting that long for the deck and getting over carrying a backpack in the Aussie heat.

I fitted mine with an adjustable height stem (I had one that I never used) and that makes riding a lot more comfortable being slightly more upright.

I would personally pump up the PSI to 60, 42 is probably a bit low.

I've had my speedbox 2 on for approx 9 months now and no issues with it at all (I have the 2018 Quick-E), just bear in mind you will use more battery as there is no longer a cutoff at 25kph but on the plus side it doesn't feel like you've hit a wall at that speed and the bike will keep going to however hard you push.

I have the standard rack on mine (no MIK rack deck) and use Orlieb Back Roller City paniers without issue. (as you can adjust the mount points to suit the rack)

I still love the bike for the torque going up hill.

With regards to the speed box 2, had it for 2 weeks now, and I am happy with. Of course, you need to get used to the significantly diminished battery life and learn to manage (on and off) of the speed box so you can get more mileage, but it's great to have that speed when needed.

Naturally, I will look to those who had it longer (like burnstar) as mine is the 2019 model. Will post if things do change

I fitted mine with an adjustable height stem (I had one that I never used) and that makes riding a lot more comfortable being slightly more upright.

Good to know thank you

I would personally pump up the PSI to 60, 42 is probably a bit low.

Tyres are rated to 52 or 54 PSI on the 2019 model. Will try them at 50.

I've had my speedbox 2 on for approx 9 months now and no issues with it at all (I have the 2018 Quick-E), just bear in mind you will use more battery as there is no longer a cutoff at 25kph but on the plus side it doesn't feel like you've hit a wall at that speed and the bike will keep going to however hard you push.

Appreciate the feedback, have some questions in with the Speedbox team and then will likely pull the trigger on the purchase. Did you happen to change the chainring over as well to achieve a higher top speed?

I have the standard rack on mine (no MIK rack deck) and use Orlieb Back Roller City paniers without issue. (as you can adjust the mount points to suit the rack)

Interesting, never thought of that, assumed the deck was needed for the extra height to mount the bags, looked at some yesterday with a very similar/if not the same mounting system as the Ortlieb. So may pull the trigger on one and try it out, then I can wait for the deck.

I still love the bike for the torque going up hill.

Glad after 9+ months you're still loving it.

Have purchased some bigger pedals, find the tiny ones that come with it under my size 13 shoe a little small and I'm moving my foot around a bit trying to get comfortable as the contact area is so small. Decided on the OneUp Components Composite Pedals after some online recommendations.

Probably last purchase after that is a good quality lock, any suggestions?

With regards to the speed box 2, had it for 2 weeks now, and I am happy with. Of course, you need to get used to the significantly diminished battery life and learn to manage (on and off) of the speed box so you can get more mileage, but it's great to have that speed when needed.

Naturally, I will look to those who had it longer (like burnstar) as mine is the 2019 model. Will post if things do change

What assistance mode do you tend to utilise, and what sort of range do you get for the terrain you're riding in when you're unrestricted?

Currently find I tend to skip around between normal and eco a bit, which I only just realised was 50% assistance, I say this as eco on my Trance-E is 100%. So majority of the time is spent in Eco mode.

So far have ridden 50Km on the 1st charge and have 66% battery capacity to go. So very happy with range so far.

I too have the Ortlieb Back Roller High Vis Black and the MIK Deck. So the MIK deck I got from Giant Hampton which are now part of Ivanhoe Cycles. They had special ordered one and had ordered a second one to put on display which I grabbed a few weeks ago. They said they would be getting more in so I would check there. The Ortliebs might actually be able to mount without the MIK deck at all, just temporarily.

I also have a 48T which is just right I think to use with the SB2.

As far as the Speedbox 2 goes, I only have one issue and that is it messes up some of the data in the Giant app, but most of that information can be got from other sources except Cadence, which would be nice to track

Otherwise, the bike is great !

Appreciate the feedback, have some questions in with the Speedbox team and then will likely pull the trigger on the purchase. Did you happen to change the chainring over as well to achieve a higher top speed?

I'm approaching 50 kph by the time I'm running out of gears (and that's downhill) and that speed is fast enough for me, on the flat the gearing is good enough for approx 40 kph

I too have the Ortlieb Back Roller High Vis Black and the MIK Deck. So the MIK deck I got from Giant Hampton which are now part of Ivanhoe Cycles. They had special ordered one and had ordered a second one to put on display which I grabbed a few weeks ago. They said they would be getting more in so I would check there. The Ortliebs might actually be able to mount without the MIK deck at all, just temporarily.

I also have a 48T which is just right I think to use with the SB2.

As far as the Speedbox 2 goes, I only have one issue and that is it messes up some of the data in the Giant app, but most of that information can be got from other sources except Cadence, which would be nice to track

Otherwise, the bike is great !

Lol, I got my bike from that store, the guy who served me went looking for the spare as he'd originally ordered it. At least it went to a good home :)

Do you have a chain guard fitted with the 48T, paranoid of getting the pants caught in it. Not to fussed about the data from the Giant app, as long as it displays on the screen correctly I'm happy. Currently use either Apple watch or while on the Trance a Bryton 310 to collect my data to Sync with Strava.

I'm approaching 50 kph by the time I'm running out of gears (and that's downhill) and that speed is fast enough for me, on the flat the gearing is good enough for approx 40 kph

Thanks, finding the cadence is pretty high (for me) to maintain that kind of speed downhill, feel quite comfortable maintaining around 70-75. But it's something to work on and improve I guess.

At least it went to a good home said:
LOL. Yes, sorry about that. What was amusing is that I'd asked one of the sales people if they still had it over the phone, because I never bought it when I got the bike but had seen it in the shop. He said 'No, definiteley need to order it in', but I went over there to double check and they still had it.

I took the chain guard off because I don't think there is enough room for it. Always wear shorts on the bike so it's no issue for me.

Last edited:
Back