Quick-E+

And...a follow up to my last post.

Has anyone tried a set of 29er/700c wheels using 700x40 tyres on their 2019 Quick-E+ instead of the 27.5" wheels fitted with the 27.5" X 2.3" Schwalbe G-Ones?

It's the same diameter give or take a mm or two, I have a couple of sets of Giant PX-C 29er wheels here off my Anthem MTB with through axle front and QR rear as needed by the Quick-E+, a spare 10 speed XT cassette and some Schwalbe Marathon Mondials at 700x40 on my Surly touring bike I could borrow to try the idea out...

I'll take some pics if I do it.

Has anyone tried a set of 29er/700c wheels using 700x40 tyres on their 2019 Quick-E+ instead of the 27.5" wheels fitted with the 27.5" X 2.3" Schwalbe G-Ones?

It's the same diameter give or take a mm or two, I have a couple of sets of Giant PX-C 29er wheels here off my Anthem MTB with through axle front and QR rear as needed by the Quick-E+, a spare 10 speed XT cassette and some Schwalbe Marathon Mondials at 700x40 on my Surly touring bike I could borrow to try the idea out...

I just pulled the plug and got the quick-E+ too in a large size. I'm 183cm so I think that size should be good.
Bought it in Victoria but got the same deal as the cheapest ones on bike exchange. Had to go to a few bike stores to find someone who would price match it, with most only willing to take 50 to 100 off the rrp. I have to wait as it's being ordered from giant but I should get it by the end of the first week of Jan.

Anyway I would be interested if a set of 700c wheels will fit and what tyres would be suitable. Would want to go with tyres that are similar to the stock ones as they seem they would be very comfortable.

Also what do people recommend as to what mods should be done on it. I guess this list is what i'm thinking.
- Speedbox (I see the now have a new smaller one called the speedbox platinum. I'm waiting for the bluetooth one as I like the idea of using a phone to activate it rather than a well knows set of button presses )
- 48T chainring
- Ergon gp3 grips
- Bigger rims and new tyres
- New saddle
- Narrower handle bar

Could people comment on what they have replaced and what difference it made? In particular the rims+tyres and the chainring

Thanks

New here, just bought a 2019 Quick-E+ in Australia, so a 25km/h assist limit. Got it home and changed the grips for Ergon GP5, swapped the seat for a Selle SMP TRK and threw a set of old Axiom panniers on it.

The 25km/h assist limit is way too low, but I think most here know that! Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. Took it out yesterday on Eco+ for most of the ride and after 80km came home with 70km range. Not bad for 100kg of me and the 27kg or so of bike and panniers.

I did my ride to work and it took me exactly the same time as it does on my road bike, but I got there feeling much less tired! It's a fun bike to ride, surprisingly nimble handling considering the weight and the fat tyres work well to take the edge off, as well as being great for rougher road surfaces.

So...should I get a Speedbox? :)

How far is your ride to work? Mine is around 30km but I can do it in 27km if I take a more unsafe route. I'm using mapmyride to try a few alternate routes.
I was actually surprised by the weight of the quick-e. It's actually lighter than other ebikes I've used. Although my experience in that regard is limited to 2 bikes lol.

How far is your ride to work? Mine is around 30km but I can do it in 27km if I take a more unsafe route. I'm using mapmyride to try a few alternate routes.
I was actually surprised by the weight of the quick-e. It's actually lighter than other ebikes I've used. Although my experience in that regard is limited to 2 bikes lol.

My ride is only 20km each way, but very hilly.

It's a light e-bike but stills weighs a bit! My benchmark for a heavy bike was my Surly Disc Trucker, moving the bikes around in the garage earlier I picked it up after the Quick-E+ and was amazed how light it was in comparison!

got my Quick E+ 2019 for Christmas. Also interested in hearing about other's tire choices, but only because my commute is 100% on the road, and I feel like the knobby tread on the Schwalbe is more for off road... but I havent' ridden enough to really be sure of that change. IIRC the video of the quick E on EBR shows a bike with different tires than stock.

Interested in a brighter/second taillight and eye wear. My commute has me next to a freeway for 5-7 miles, and road dust/rocks get flicked up and tossed my way.

I really like the speed advantage of having the US 28mph limit.. not sure how you folks with the 25k limit are handing it. I'm moving past folks with tricked out road bikes and my commute time is the same time as driving, because I'm not stuck in traffic on that freeway... *super* happy with this bike :)

Attachments

• 20190101_114147.jpg
    20190101_114147.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 554
Just got mine yesterday. Had a quick ride last night and was easy to get to and maintain 25kph.

What size chainring fits on the quick e in terms of bcd size? Can I squeeze in a 50T narrow wide chainring or is 48T the max?

Any news on the speedbox bluetooth?

Guys, just received my Speedbox2 - postage to Oz took a month due to holidays etc. Was getting worried it was lost. I've also got a 48T chainring - same one as linked by @HarryWiz above. Looks great quality. Will be fitting both tomorrow. Unfortunately working away alternate weeks so won't get a chance to use it for commuting for another week

Guys, just received my Speedbox2 - postage to Oz took a month due to holidays etc. Was getting worried it was lost. I've also got a 48T chainring - same one as linked by @HarryWiz above. Looks great quality. Will be fitting both tomorrow. Unfortunately working away alternate weeks so won't get a chance to use it for commuting for another week

Look forward to hearing how you go. I ordered a Speedbox this week, hope I get it by the end of the month. The 25km/h assist limit is painful...

got my Quick E+ 2019 for Christmas. Also interested in hearing about other's tire choices, but only because my commute is 100% on the road, and I feel like the knobby tread on the Schwalbe is more for off road... but I havent' ridden enough to really be sure of that change. IIRC the video of the quick E on EBR shows a bike with different tires than stock.

Interested in a brighter/second taillight and eye wear. My commute has me next to a freeway for 5-7 miles, and road dust/rocks get flicked up and tossed my way.

I really like the speed advantage of having the US 28mph limit.. not sure how you folks with the 25k limit are handing it. I'm moving past folks with tricked out road bikes and my commute time is the same time as driving, because I'm not stuck in traffic on that freeway... *super* happy with this bike :)

I like the 28MPH limit - this bike goes pretty fast! I personally like the Schwalbe tires, but I do take it on trails. However, It does well on roads as well.

Enjoy!

Took it for another ride last night. I found that I was always using the higher gears like what @HarryWiz experienced. I ordered the same 48T chainring. I was trying to see if the 50T would fit and it looks like it just might but not too sure how much clearance is needed to allow for frame flex.

Other option is maybe looking at changing the cassette ratios? As of right now I find that I'm not using any of the low gears. It's a 10speed 11-36T cassette stock. Wonder if it's worth looking at going to 10-36T? The 10T would give a bigger top end boost than using a 50T chainring.

I've sent an email to the speedbox guys about when the bluetooth version is coming. I see they only give you 150eur credit if you trade in a recently bought speedbox2. So you'd still be out of pocket 29eur + postage if I get it now.

How do people find the stock saddle? Worth getting the Selle SMP TRK gel?

I switched out my tires for the Schwalbe Marathons. Some have said they improve battery life due to less rolling resistance. The 2019 is a sharp looking bike. My 2018 has been flawless so far. I bought the MIK deck to go on the rear rack and it makes the rack a lot more usable in my opinion. I have a second tail light also, but then I found this helmet.

https://www.playbetter.com/coros-om...MI8erQkcLX3wIVBolpCh0p1AG5EAYYAyABEgKsmfD_BwE

It replaces my tail light and headphones. I can also hear approaching traffic a lot better. Shop around. I found one for $160.00.

Enjoy your ride.

I wonder if i can buy the wheels from the 2019 quick E separately to go on my dirt E+2 as the hubs are e bike optimised and the wheels I got on mine are standard. Already gone through one freehub body in 2 years.

I wonder if i can buy the wheels from the 2019 quick E separately to go on my dirt E+2 as the hubs are e bike optimised and the wheels I got on mine are standard. Already gone through one freehub body in 2 years.

I tried to get the newer wheels for my 2018 Quick E. My LBS said they would not work on the 1018 model, but also they did not have a way to order those specific wheels.

I tried to get the newer wheels for my 2018 Quick E. My LBS said they would not work on the 1018 model, but also they did not have a way to order those specific wheels.

Do you need to get ebike specific wheels or can you fit normal ones? I know there are a lot of diy ebikes that use normal rims. Is there a list of wheels that people can recommend?

Do you need to get ebike specific wheels or can you fit normal ones? I know there are a lot of diy ebikes that use normal rims. Is there a list of wheels that people can recommend?

Conventional wheel sets are fine. Important to get the proper hub width and axle interface though.

I believe G-One is the best tire when it comes to speed/rolling resistance for its size. I don't understand why people in this thread are constantly trying to change a perfectly good tire. Even in Schwalbe's website you can see that G-one is among the best , if not the best, when it comes to rolling resistance/performance so by switching to a different tire you will almost certainly not gain range but lose some.

From the photos of Quick-e there seems to be little clearance for 700c wheels and even if you can fit 40 tires it will have most likely more rolling resistance and you will loose a lot of vibration dampening with the baloon G-ones.

The only problem with G-one's are their durability. Imo you guys should first wear your tires out then you can switch to a marathon series tire which is very durable although not as efficient...

I believe G-One is the best tire when it comes to speed/rolling resistance for its size. I don't understand why people in this thread are constantly trying to change a perfectly good tire. Even in Schwalbe's website you can see that G-one is among the best , if not the best, when it comes to rolling resistance/performance so by switching to a different tire you will almost certainly not gain range but lose some.

From the photos of Quick-e there seems to be little clearance for 700c wheels and even if you can fit 40 tires it will have most likely more rolling resistance and you will loose a lot of vibration dampening with the baloon G-ones.

The only problem with G-one's are their durability. Imo you guys should first wear your tires out then you can switch to a marathon series tire which is very durable although not as efficient...

For me, it's because I can try it out and have the option with the parts I have in my garage. The circumference of the factory fitted 27"x2.35" is 2209mm and 700x40c is 2205mm, room for fitment isn't a problem. Without the mudguards a 700x50c would probably fit no problems at all.

When I get around to trying some different wheels and tyres out I'll post some pictures.

Back