Quick-E+

The bike comes with 42T at least in our parts or the world. 32kph is for the 42T not 48T. If you replace it with a 48T at 63rpm you'll be doing 38kph not 32kph.

Without the speedbox you'll get no support at those speeds for a 25kph limited bike.

I usually try do around 80rpm on my road bike. I read somewhere that 80-100 is the most efficient and what most cyclists recommended. It's not bad as long as you're in the right gear. Of course do what feels comfortable to you.

I read the Yamaha motor produces max power at 70rpm or so. So you might want to target that or close to it.

My apologies you're quite correct the oem is a 42T chain, I was reading so many references to the 48T I just started to assume it was the oem....oops.

So my question is for those who have the Speedbox installed, without any other modifications to the bike what speed can you comfortably sustain?

Thanks...

My apologies you're quite correct the oem is a 42T chain, I was reading so many references to the 48T I just started to assume it was the oem....oops.

So my question is for those who have the Speedbox installed, without any other modifications to the bike what speed can you comfortably sustain?

Thanks...

Hmm I ride a lot in stop / start traffic, on the road I can probably easily sustain 38kph, downhill I can hit 50kph before the cadence gets too high (i.e. my legs can't spin fast enough). That's all in Sport mode (my bike only has 3 assist modes and I find that Normal is only good if you want to ride at 25kph max, beyond that it requires a fair bit of effort)

Thanks....I've been procrastinating for awhile on buying the Quick E+ mostly due to nice weather and preferring to ride my MC however I'll probably grab one next month. The Quick E+'s in Canada are limited to 20mph/32kph so that's why I was interested in what benefit there'd be with the Speedbox.

I realize that battery life per charge is relative to the rider but how far would you say you're getting on your rides?

Thanks....I've been procrastinating for awhile on buying the Quick E+ mostly due to nice weather and preferring to ride my MC however I'll probably grab one next month. The Quick E+'s in Canada are limited to 20mph/32kph so that's why I was interested in what benefit there'd be with the Speedbox.

I realize that battery life per charge is relative to the rider but how far would you say you're getting on your rides?

I'm 87kg and ride only in sport mode and after 40km I'm down to 15% battery charge, elevation is approx 90m and I ride down to sea level and back everyday.

Well we're within a pound of each other. My plan is to ride it for a bit to determine if I'm happy with the 32kmh and then see what kind of mileage I'm getting with the stock bike and if I feel the need to accessorize/hack, with I'm prone to do, I'll order a SB2 then.

Have you taken your charger with you on a longer ride and put it on charge during a lunch break to see what the battery would gain after an hour plugged in?

Well we're within a pound of each other. My plan is to ride it for a bit to determine if I'm happy with the 32kmh and then see what kind of mileage I'm getting with the stock bike and if I feel the need to accessorize/hack, with I'm prone to do, I'll order a SB2 then.

Have you taken your charger with you on a longer ride and put it on charge during a lunch break to see what the battery would gain after an hour plugged in?

I have on the occasional morning where I forgot to charge the bike the night before. I think full charge is 4-6hrs (I plug it in at work and unplug it when I go home). I'm guessing 1hr will give you a good 20% charge?

Joined up here just to follow this thread :) I really like the price + speed + support combo with this bike, but occasionally I get numb wrists on my hybrid trek bike, so I'm concerned about hitting those bumps faster without suspension.

Has anyone put an aftermarket suspension fork on the front of their Quick E+ & how is it working out?

Joined up here just to follow this thread :) I really like the price + speed + support combo with this bike, but occasionally I get numb wrists on my hybrid trek bike, so I'm concerned about hitting those bumps faster without suspension.

Has anyone put an aftermarket suspension fork on the front of their Quick E+ & how is it working out?

I found out the other day that there is such a thing as a suspension stem! it might be worth a try first?

FYI chargers are rated by the Amps they produce in an hour. There should be a sticker on your charger that says how many amps it is. So if you have a 2A charger it will put 36v x 2A = 72wh into your battery. Few stock chargers go higher than 4A because consistent charging at high A reduces the battery lifespan so manufacturers provide lower A chargers for the most part to CTA.

Also it only adds to the lower end of the voltage spectrum on a mostly spent battery so you don't get as much energy from the battery as when it is full or at 80% charge. So in other words an hour on a stock charger won't get you very far actually. Better to carry an extra battery if you want longer range, or don't use the motor at all, which kind of defeats the purpose of having one.....

I only got the wrench icon while using the RideControl app when it lost connection with the app.

when I brought it to the bike shop the "wrench/spanner" icon disappeared and they pull the error codes but couldn't reproduce it durring there testing. Anyways the shop updated the firmware and everything seems ok again. hopefully it doesn't come back.

Good information on this thread. I’m seriously considering a Quick E to help with the hills around here. I really like the looks of the 2019 model. The lbs has last years model marked down a few hundred dollars but I’m not crazy about the double crankset and it’s not quite my size. It’s almost winter here and I’m wondering how the Quick E fairs in colder weather? If it’s below freezing I usually just ride my mountain bike.

Good information on this thread. I’m seriously considering a Quick E to help with the hills around here. I really like the looks of the 2019 model. The lbs has last years model marked down a few hundred dollars but I’m not crazy about the double crankset and it’s not quite my size. It’s almost winter here and I’m wondering how the Quick E fairs in colder weather? If it’s below freezing I usually just ride my mountain bike.

From what I heard from my LBS guy is that the 2019 QuickE+ has components that are more suited to being an eBike than the 2018. I like mine and it does hills very well.

ran into this link from an r/ebikes post on reddit that has some cold weather tips for ebikes in general, but nothing specific on the Quick E. Because it uses the yamaha system, it probably makes sense to look at comparisons for drive systems (bosch, yamaha, bafang, brose, etc. etc.) in cold weather rather than specifically for the Quick E.

This is a tough one as I'm noticing now that even a little wind can make a big difference, as well as road surface, road gradient (some roads that might look flat aren't actually), but taking all that away I reckon I can cruise at 35-40km/h most of the time which feels right (minus 5km/h if you have std chain ring). Much slower than 30 and I feel like I'm a road obstacle, over 40 and resistance plays a big part in your ability to go faster, so there is a sweet spot there.
What I found when limited to 25km/h is even sitting on 25km/h you nudge over and it feels like someone putting a handbrake on which is discomforting. I would get the speedbox just to not experience that.

In other news I bought a 620mm handlebar off eBay for $10 which looks identical to the OEM version, just 70mm shorter. It feels better on paths now as I always thought I was going to collect someone's elbows whenever I ride past them.
Here's a link if interested: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I think that's my mods wishlist complete so I now have:
-Removed fenders, mounted taillight under seat
-Derestricted with Speedbox2
-Upgraded chain ring from 42T to 48T
-Shorter handlebar 620mm (OEM is 690mm)
-Upgraded to Ergo grips

I can thoroughly recommend this config for a great commuter setup.

This is a tough one as I'm noticing now that even a little wind can make a big difference, as well as road surface, road gradient (some roads that might look flat aren't actually), but taking all that away I reckon I can cruise at 35-40km/h most of the time which feels right (minus 5km/h if you have std chain ring). Much slower than 30 and I feel like I'm a road obstacle, over 40 and resistance plays a big part in your ability to go faster, so there is a sweet spot there.
What I found when limited to 25km/h is even sitting on 25km/h you nudge over and it feels like someone putting a handbrake on which is discomforting. I would get the speedbox just to not experience that.

In other news I bought a 620mm handlebar off eBay for $10 which looks identical to the OEM version, just 70mm shorter. It feels better on paths now as I always thought I was going to collect someone's elbows whenever I ride past them.
Here's a link if interested: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I think that's my mods wishlist complete so I now have:
-Removed fenders, mounted taillight under seat
-Derestricted with Speedbox2
-Upgraded chain ring from 42T to 48T
-Shorter handlebar 620mm (OEM is 690mm)
-Upgraded to Ergo grips

I can thoroughly recommend this config for a great commuter setup.

Come on @HarryWiz , post some pictures ;)

Incidentally, how long did it take for your Speedbox 2 to arrive - I ordered mine on the 1st and it was exported on the 5th, now it's gone down the black hole that is Australia Post :( and I still haven't received it yet.

Come on @HarryWiz , post some pictures ;)

Incidentally, how long did it take for your Speedbox 2 to arrive - I ordered mine on the 1st and it was exported on the 5th, now it's gone down the black hole that is Australia Post :( and I still haven't received it yet.

OK just got an email saying it takes 13 business days which might blow out a bit over Christmas

New here, just bought a 2019 Quick-E+ in Australia, so a 25km/h assist limit. Got it home and changed the grips for Ergon GP5, swapped the seat for a Selle SMP TRK and threw a set of old Axiom panniers on it.

The 25km/h assist limit is way too low, but I think most here know that! Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. Took it out yesterday on Eco+ for most of the ride and after 80km came home with 70km range. Not bad for 100kg of me and the 27kg or so of bike and panniers.

I did my ride to work and it took me exactly the same time as it does on my road bike, but I got there feeling much less tired! It's a fun bike to ride, surprisingly nimble handling considering the weight and the fat tyres work well to take the edge off, as well as being great for rougher road surfaces.

So...should I get a Speedbox? :)

Back