Quick-E+

@alasdair, how do you secure the bottom of your pannier(s) since there are no attachment points at the bottom of the rack frame? I'm thinking of getting one or two Arkel shopper panniers. I'm using a borrowed Topeak beam rack to carry a bag on the back. It works pretty well. I love my BodyFloat suspension seat post. It takes some of the harshness out of the ride. I'm following your upgrades with great interest. I'm retired so my Quick E+ isn't for commuting, just getting around town without resorting to a car.

@BernieS The pannier I have has a lower attachment point that sits behind one of the vertical stays and keeps it in place. While it's a Brooks pannier, it has this system from Ortlieb.

@BernieS The pannier I have has a lower attachment point that sits behind one of the vertical stays and keeps it in place. While it's a Brooks pannier, it has this system from Ortlieb.

I'm looking for a suitable pannier now. How do you like the Brooks pannier? It's about the same price as the Ortlieb Velo-Shopper which I'm considering. I really like the O quick release system and the exterior pockets on the Brooks.

I like it. Overall very happy
The Closure it a little odd with just the one clip in the middle and i'm not sure how waterproof it is. Thankfully thats not a problem as it doesn't rain here in LA but would have been a consideration if I was back home in London.

I've gotten used to shifting, and love almost everything about this bike now. I commute to class with it every day, and use it to go grocery shopping.

The only real problem with it I still have is the rack. The "minimalist" design of the rack really limits functionality as well as options when it comes to attaching panniers, rack bags, or rear baskets. Of course there is no option to use any kind of bag that would require a flat bed on top. You are limited to panniers that can attach to the rack bars. The rack bars themselves also suffer from a couple of problems. First, the rack is angled, giving any basket or pannier you attach to it limited support. In the case of a wire frame basket, this could actually result in an eventual bending of the frame of the basket. Second, the rack bars are too low to accommodate some panniers that require you to use some sort of bungee system that keeps the bag secure by fastening onto the bottom of a traditional rack, using tension to make sure the pannier stays put. This is most grocery panniers out there. It seems you would probably be limited to using more expensive types of panniers that have a more advanced hook system. The only grocery panniers with this type of fastening system I could find are from Ortlieb, and they run from $100-$140.

There isn't much of an option to add your own rack to this bike, because there are no eyelets to mount one, and the integrated rack gets in the way of most other types of racks that might clamp on to the seat stay. I think Giant should have left this rack out of their design, and instead have just mounted the fenders on with something more lightweight, and give people the option to add their own rack if they want to use one. Or I should have gone with a similar bike that comes with a better rack.
With help from my local bike shop, I solved the rack problem. I already owned a Topeak bag that has panders tucked into zippered side pouches when not in use. I had their side frame for this, meant to be attached to the saddle post. But with some zip ties, we easily secured it to the Quick-e "rack", where it's been stable as a rock for 1400 miles. The advantage of the Topeka bag is that it easily slides off its rack with a simple "quick release" feature.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 1,145
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 1,114
Visited a lbs yesterday, where I test rode the Cube Cross Hybrid Pro Allroad. First ride on a Bosch system, I liked it and was surprised by how quiet it was after hearing from numerous sources that noise was an issue with Bosch. Anyway, they also had the Giant Quick-e, which I'd ridden previously, liked, and is still maybe my first choice (I'm putting off my purchase till spring and better Seattle weather.)

In talking with the salesperson, I found out that the brakes on the 2018 are ebike specific and will be hooked to the rack-mounted taillight to indicate when the rider is braking- cool! Also, the new derailleur is the Shimano Shadow model that lets the user flip a lever to tighten the chain. These two features are worth the $50 increase imho.

Has anyone replaced the grips on their Quick E+? I would like to put Ergon GP1s on my Quick E+, but, when I loosened up the grip screws on the left side, the controller switch unit rotated with the grip. So I don't know if they separate or are part of a complete unit. I tightened everything back up again until I find out how the grip/controller switch unit is attached on the left side. Right side seems to be no issue.

On my bike, the controller unit would slip over a ring on the original left grip. I think that when unscrewing the controller, you free the grip. When replacing the grips, my bike store needed to place a ring or kind of ''washer'' under the controller unit to make it tigh again. The grips are fine, no more pain in the hands and not very expensive (less than $20). I don't know the model number or name but it is made by (or for) Giant. But nothing is perfect, and on the left side, since the knew grip did not have the ring to slide under the controller, it is a bit offset in reference to the brake handle... but nothing is always always bad, the offset is something you adapt very quickly... and the left brake is the front brake... used mostly for just in case..

PS- will try to include pictures
PS- 2 Excuse my english (désolé)

WP_20171009_001.jpg WP_20171009_003.jpg

I thought i'd add in some updates now that I've installed a new light and the nights are closing in fast.

I had originally bought an AXA light from Germany and they sent the wrong one. As i'm a little impatient I looked what I could get quickly from Amazon and came up with the Supernova E3 V6 which has been brighter than expected and just the right side of usable at 45kph+

IMG_2593.JPG

I took the opportunity to clean up the front end a little as it's been bugging me since I got the bike, running the cable paths together and attaching the display to the side of the headtube. I'd hide it completely if I could as I don't find it particularly useful.

IMG_5745.JPG

It's done around 5000 miles now an has been very reliable save to a thermal cut out issue I've been having on hot days here in LA. I have a 15 min climb on my way home (Sepulveda Pass) and if the temp is over 85deg it will cut out before I get to the top. Powering off, then on again and soft pedaling for a while usually fixes the issue. It also seems perkier in the cool weather.

The brakes got an overhaul with new pads and a bleed - it has made a huge difference. I was going to replace them but think i'll put that off for a while. Still need to find a brighter rear light too.

Alasdair

I thought i'd add in some updates now that I've installed a new light and the nights are closing in fast.

I had originally bought an AXA light from Germany and they sent the wrong one. As i'm a little impatient I looked what I could get quickly from Amazon and came up with the Supernova E3 V6 which has been brighter than expected and just the right side of usable at 45kph+
Alasdair

Does your Supernova light operate from the on/off control switch? Is there a blinking mode on the light?

I thought I might share some of the accessory additions and modifications I have made to my 2018 Quick E+ along with some photos. It would be useful to note that I am 78 years old and retired so just use my ebike for getting around our western Montana town and for exercise. No more commuting for me.

I found that the palms of my hands would grow numb after riding awhile so I had my LBS change out the Giant OEM grips to Ergon GP-1 grips. As noted by another OP this is not as straight forward as it might seem since the original left grip fit under the switch control. What my LBS did was cut off a small section of the old grip to use as a spacer so the switch control could be tightened down. It worked well and what a difference the Ergon grips have made.

I wanted a slightly more upright riding position than the original cockpit configuration allowed so I had my LBS change out the OEM stem for an angled stem that raised the handlebars a little. This has made the ride more comfortable.

The OEM pedals were too small and I was always fumbling about trying to get my feet just right on the pedals. So I changed them out for some Giant MTB platform pedals that my LBS happened to have in stock. I think next summer I'll change the Giant pedals for better quality Shimano pedals though.

These changes are illustrated in the accompanying photos.

Ergon grips.jpg Left grip.jpg Pedals replaced.jpg Right grip.jpg Stem replacement.jpg

I found the ride with the Quick E+ very stiff and harsh without suspension. The first thing I did was change out the OEM saddle for a more comfortable one. That helped a little but not enough.

Then, after a lot of research into suspension seat posts and no small amount of soul searching, I installed a BodyFloat suspension post. I'm glad I bit the bullet on this since the ride is quality. I ride some very rough, patched-up streets around here and I was being bounced all over the place. Now the ride is smooth and comfortable. I also added their spandex cover to keep the mechanism clean and less noticeable.

These changes are illustrated in the accompanying photos.

BodyFloat_cover.jpg BodyFloat_suspension.jpg Saddle replacement.jpg

While I wait for the Giant Rack-It Metro E rear rack to be available, I installed a Topeak Beamrack (E-Type). I just barely had the required 2" of seat post free for the QR clamp. For a little added support I attached a piece of aluminum bar to the Topeak rack and Giant OEM rack (using one of the eyelets on the crossbar. I then added an Arkel Tailrider bag. I carry my Abus Mini U-lock and a cable in the bag. The Arkel bag is very stable on the Topeak rack. I attach a Cygolite taillight to the bag for a flashing red light in the rear. Eventually I'll include one or two panniers for grocery shopping. I'm inclined towards the Arkel Shopper or Brooks' Suffolk pannier. But with winter coming on I'm in no rush for this.

These additions are illustrated in the accompanying photos.
Flashing taillight.jpg Support for beamrack.jpgTopeak rack.jpg

Last edited:
I have also noticed that power drops in hot weather. At first I thought maybe I was just more tired on certain days, but now that it's been mentioned by alasdair, the bike it noticeably zippier on cool days. I haven't yet experienced overheating failures, but I remember reading an article about the Giant Road-E+ that mentioned overheating, but in that article the bikes were being ridden by pros going uphill on a mountain in Europe, so I guess unless you're in 100+ degree weather (possible in SoCal), have speed restriction limiters installed, or are going uphill at high speeds for long periods of time, you shouldn't have a problem. That being said, maybe Giant should have designed better airflow to the motor.

Are the WTB Horizons really that great of an upgrade over the stock tires? I'm considering getting some, but I'm wondering if its worth it. Is it easy to install them yourself, and do you need to get new rims or spokes?

Back