Quick-E+

@Christopher Castillo yes it was a cooler day today, the first in a while, and the bike as noticeably livelier.

Re. the tires, they do ride faster than the stock items and seem to wear very well. They have less 'squidge' which is either good (more direct feel, faster handling) or not good (Less comfortable) depending what you're looking for. Riding conditions and psi used will also factor in too. Additionally, I think they look badass - one of the main reasons I got them and that may or may not matter to you...

I hope this helps

On their gear page Giant is showing a new rack for the Quick E+. It's not available yet but is coming.

The Giant Rack-It Metro E Rear Rack (for the Quick E+) is now showing as available through dealers in the Giant web site. I've asked my LBS to order me one (along with the required fender bracket). We'll see how long it takes to come in.

Update: Jan. 26, 2018 ---- It once again showing "Coming Soon" on the Giant gear webpage. Bummer.

Last edited:
Wow, a lot of useful info on this thread. I just picked up a 2017 myself with around 1,600 miles on it. I'm looking forward to using it for commuting to SOME of my job locations (they vary from week to week).

Here's to hoping this thread becomes more and more "active" in the coming months since it will be spring in a month and a half. I plan on checking back often, and providing updates as to how my experience will go.

I'm also hoping to get the new e-rack as it becomes available, I noticed someone said it was showing up as "available" this past December, I've been checking and I can't seem to find any info online. Maybe I'll check my LBS and see what THEY say.

Thanks for all the info!

Wow, a lot of useful info on this thread. I just picked up a 2017 myself with around 1,600 miles on it. I'm looking forward to using it for commuting to SOME of my job locations (they vary from week to week).

Here's to hoping this thread becomes more and more "active" in the coming months since it will be spring in a month and a half. I plan on checking back often, and providing updates as to how my experience will go.

I'm also hoping to get the new e-rack as it becomes available, I noticed someone said it was showing up as "available" this past December, I've been checking and I can't seem to find any info online. Maybe I'll check my LBS and see what THEY say.

Thanks for all the info!

A month ago I ordered the Metro E rack for the Quick E+ through my LBS and so far nothing. Now I see on the Giant website that the rack is "Coming Soon". Giant's accessory supply service really sucks. I've been replacing Giant gear on my bike wherever I can. The rack is an issue though. If you can figure out any work around on the rack, please share it.

Thanks for the quick reply Bernie!

The bike I purchased has Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers on the OEM rear rack. They seem to be working fine, but I'll report back when I've had enough time to try them myself, with various loads and distances.

I would still like to know what the hold-up on this Giant rack is, seem strange that it would take so long. It's a few bent pieces of aluminum tubing, welded in a few spots.

I'll get some photos and share them on here over the weekend too.

My Giant Rack-It Metro E+ came in today and my LBS is installing it. Unfortunately the fender bracket is not available yet (just a piece of pressed metal for goodness sake!) so the shop will try to improvise some sort of support for the fender. It's a nice looking rack. Today I also received an Arkel Urban Commuter pannier. I'll eventually have photos of the rack and the Commuter pannier, which is nicer and more functional than the description on Arkel's website.

My Rack-It Metro E+ rack has been installed and I'd like to share some photos of it. The installation is very solid and my LBS did a good job of fabricating a mount for the rear of the fender.

IMG_0065.jpgIMG_0066.jpgIMG_0067.jpgIMG_0068.jpgIMG_0070.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0072.jpgIMG_0076.jpgIMG_0078.jpgIMG_0079.jpg

Bernie! Thank you for posting this.

I also got a notification about the rack being available a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to log back in and tell you (and others) it was in stock. I was glad to see your post when I did log in this morning.

I was miffed when I saw that the bracket that is "necessary" for the installation wasn't available yet. I didn't want to order the rack, pay for shipping, then pay for shipping again, especially for such a small part as the bracket. It's nice to see the close-ups of the modification that your LBS did for you.

I will end up doing the same, I'll stop back and post my pictures when I do.

Amassed 900 miles so far on this bike and still love the hell out of it!

Attachments

• C94BFFB4-D080-4F6E-BA8B-1C706B414161.jpeg
    C94BFFB4-D080-4F6E-BA8B-1C706B414161.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,248
I purchased a 2018 Quick-e about a month ago now, really enjoying the bike as I was looking for something that had everything included (mudguards, lights, rack).

I changed the handlebar stem in the 1st week to something with a higher angle as the standard one is way too low. I was hating (and still am a bit less) the grips but the hardness of it slowly going away through daily use to the point my hands no longer hurt. Also put my old gel saddle on as the new is a bit too hard.

I've reduced the width of the handlerbar by 2cm on each side but I think I will take the same amount off again to bring my arms a bit more parallel to my chest. (and make filtering a bit easier!)

The 2018 model has the single chain ring on the front and I haven't had any chain issues with it, still getting used to the way the mid drive changes gear though as I feel I'm going to wear the cassette out quickly!

2018-03-06 11.07.57.jpg

I purchased a 2018 Quick-e about a month ago now, really enjoying the bike as I was looking for something that had everything included (mudguards, lights, rack).

I changed the handlebar stem in the 1st week to something with a higher angle as the standard one is way too low. I was hating (and still am a bit less) the grips but the hardness of it slowly going away through daily use to the point my hands no longer hurt. Also put my old gel saddle on as the new is a bit too hard.

I've reduced the width of the handlerbar by 2cm on each side but I think I will take the same amount off again to bring my arms a bit more parallel to my chest. (and make filtering a bit easier!)

The 2018 model has the single chain ring on the front and I haven't had any chain issues with it, still getting used to the way the mid drive changes gear though as I feel I'm going to wear the cassette out quickly!

View attachment 20845

Is that the Canadian version? I was somewhat confused on the giant site about the crank. It says it is a 10 speed in the highlights but in the specs it says it has a 28/42 chainring and lists it having a front derailer. Perhaps spec sheet hasn’t been updated from 2017?

I’m in Canada and I’ve been trying to decide between this bike and the Toughroad equipped with fenders and a rack. I’m looking mainly to commute but would like something that can handle some loose stuff. Our streets aren’t cleared of gravel until mid May and also loads of potholes and broken pavement to deal with. Plus there are some nice forest trails in the area too.

I decided today to pull the trigger on the Toughroad. The drivetrain was attractive with the 48 up front and 11-42 cassette. I’ve never owned a bike with drop bars but a tried an Anyroad bike last weekend and thought it was fairly comfortable. We get some wicked wind some times so being able to get low is a benefit (I don’t have to deal with much traffic either and definitely no need for filtering here).

If we could get the US version of the quick-e in Canada I may have been inclined toward the quick-e just for the extra speed. Alas, these two bikes cut out at the same speed in Canada so no difference there.

Is that the Canadian version?

It's the Australian spec (so quick-e 25kph to be specific).

The only thing is no front suspension which OK for me as I'm on pavement all the time but still missing the suspension a bit as my old Neo Cross had it.

All mid drive motors can be pretty easily 'tuned' now so that is something to keep in mind. (search for derestricted ebike). This will allow the bike to go to 40kph before it levels off.

All mid drive motors can be pretty easily 'tuned' now so that is something to keep in mind. (search for derestricted ebike). This will allow the bike to go to 40kph before it levels off.

Perhaps in the future after the warranty on the motor is up. I thought about it but just not sure it’s worth the risk right away. Overall, I figured tuning went in favour of the Toughroad over the 32kph Quick-e since its top gear is the same as the 45kph Quick-e.

Will you be tuning yours? I could see being disappointed topping out at 25.

Last edited:
The tuning modules are like the car chips these days, plug and play, if you need to do a warranty claim you simply remove it from the bike and there is no trace of the bike having been tuned.

The tuning module is just removing the speed limit, it is not making the motor do anything it's wasn't designed to.

I did tune mine as I was pretty uncomfortable riding in traffic at 25 kph with cars doing 40-50 kph behind me. I have to do some right hand turns on a 3 lane road (we drive on the left) and having to cut cars off wasn't safe.

Can anyone confirm a list of changes for 2018? From what I found it looks like it comes with slightly larger battery and single front sprocket.

wow, I assumed the bikes would be the same globally (with minor changes) but it seems like the US spec 2017 & 2018 are pretty much the same bike but in Australia we got the newer model for 2018. I'm a bit surprised especially when researching I read that some people had issues with the double chain ring on the crankset, my 2018 is a single chain ring and I haven't had any chain issues.

Thought I'd give an update after nearly 3 months of ownership:
What I hate: Front Mudguard, on slow speed sharp turns my foot occasionally hits it, it distorts and jams in the wheel or the metal arms pop off. The handlebar grips have softened a bit and are more bearable now but should really have been better. There should have been another step between normal and sports mode
What I like: This bike has lots of torque and doesn't struggle up hills, built in lights are great. I can get nearly 60km range in normal mode (my commute hardly has any flat bits)

Back