Quick-E+

Just saw on the Giant website that they've announced 2018 models for the quickie and roadie (also mtb, but I don't really follow those.) I was thinking maybe they'd have the new Yamaha motor, but no joy. Different brakes, derailleur, lights- and a $50 price hike. The site is kinda hard to read, would love to know if anyone figures out any other, more significant differences...

I've gotten used to shifting, and love almost everything about this bike now. I commute to class with it every day, and use it to go grocery shopping.

The only real problem with it I still have is the rack. The "minimalist" design of the rack really limits functionality as well as options when it comes to attaching panniers, rack bags, or rear baskets. Of course there is no option to use any kind of bag that would require a flat bed on top. You are limited to panniers that can attach to the rack bars. The rack bars themselves also suffer from a couple of problems. First, the rack is angled, giving any basket or pannier you attach to it limited support. In the case of a wire frame basket, this could actually result in an eventual bending of the frame of the basket. Second, the rack bars are too low to accommodate some panniers that require you to use some sort of bungee system that keeps the bag secure by fastening onto the bottom of a traditional rack, using tension to make sure the pannier stays put. This is most grocery panniers out there. It seems you would probably be limited to using more expensive types of panniers that have a more advanced hook system. The only grocery panniers with this type of fastening system I could find are from Ortlieb, and they run from $100-$140.

There isn't much of an option to add your own rack to this bike, because there are no eyelets to mount one, and the integrated rack gets in the way of most other types of racks that might clamp on to the seat stay. I think Giant should have left this rack out of their design, and instead have just mounted the fenders on with something more lightweight, and give people the option to add their own rack if they want to use one. Or I should have gone with a similar bike that comes with a better rack.
I use a beam rack attached to my seatpost.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,242
Just saw on the Giant website that they've announced 2018 models for the quickie and roadie (also mtb, but I don't really follow those.) I was thinking maybe they'd have the new Yamaha motor, but no joy. Different brakes, derailleur, lights- and a $50 price hike. The site is kinda hard to read, would love to know if anyone figures out any other, more significant differences...

One difference between the 2017 and the 2018 is the controller on the latter has been updated to the EVO. For me that's a big difference.

The Giant brand rear rack should work well. They can either attach to side frame eyelets, or to the center eyelet that also holds the fenders. The bottom of the rack mounts directly onto the rear quick-release axle - the rack comes with a longer replacement axle for the rear wheel.

I've just placed an order for the 2018 Quick E+. Talked with my LBS about adapting one of the Giant racks to work with it. If it works out I'll post pictures.

I learned from my local dealer that Giant is developing an add-on rack for this bike, currently on a test release in Europe (dang Europeans and their developed bicycle infrastructure).

My LBS contacted Giant about a rack for the Quick E+ and got the same story about one being developed in Germany but not available for the U.S. market. My LBS has just ordered a fat tire rack to see if that would work on my Quick E+. If it doesn't work I'm going with aTopeak seat post mounted rack and then add a support bar down to the OEM rack. That should make it possible to carry a little heavier load on the rack and make it a little steadier. I just got a reply from Trek that none of their Bontrager racks will fit a Super Commuter S+.

On their gear page Giant is showing a new rack for the Quick E+. It's not available yet but is coming.
Ah, this must be the e-bike specific rack they were talking about that's only available in Europe for now.

I actually got the Rack-It Disc Anyroad/Fastroad Rear Rack that came out this summer, and my LBS was able to install it. It looks a little busy in the back with both this rack and the integrated rack, but it's working great so far.

I also wasn't able to see any other significant differences other than the ones you mentioned.

Some other Giant ebike updates:
The Dirt-E and Full-E both got price cuts.

They also added two new bikes for the American market.
The Explore E+, and urban ebike that looks the same as the Quick-E but with front suspension shocks and cheaper components. Has a mid-step version.

The Toughroad GX E+, a trekking/gravel ebike with drop bars and knobby tires. Looks cool.

I have a 2017 Quick E+ US spec and have been commuting on it for about 4 months/4000 miles so far. It has been generally great and allows me to get to work faster over my 20 miles each way commute (LA really sucks to drive), while getting in a little exercise and fresh air. I've made a few modifications to the basic spec changing the contact points (pedals, grips and saddle) to ones that suit me plus fitting some faster tyres. There is a noticeable difference between the standard tyres and the WTB Horizons 47c (Thank you Andrew for the tip) and the bike retains way more speed while being more grippy and comfortable.

For anyone commuting in dense traffic I would recommend trimming down the bars (Mine are at 580mm) as the stock ones come in very wide and embarrassingly led to me hitting the deck while filtering in my first week riding the bike and breaking a few ribs.

Some changes I made that weren't totally essential were removing the computer mount (half a pound of metal!) and getting rid of the front mech - really why does it even have two chainrings? Security skewers and seat post binder give me more peace of mind, although i'd never leave this locked up for long. I also ran it derestricted for a while by relocating the speed sensor but wouldn't advise this as it really doesn't have the power to go much faster that 30mph (without an additional 500watt effort from me) and I got frequent error messages and shut offs. Not good. I also have a child seat on it to run errands with my 14mo, he loves it!

The rack has been an issue for some but works great for me. I haven't needed a top to it and a Brooks Pannier or two works great and keeps the weight down low. I've had up to 40lb on this rack and it holds fine although i'm not sure what it's rated for?

Next mods are lights, I have an AXA Blueline 50 LUX on order which I'm hoping will work better than the 30 LUX thats stock. I would love to hear other owners experience on wired lights as these really need to be addressed for the winter. I also have a new handlebar going on and some brake upgrades as they are another weak point on the stock bike. I'll tidy up all the cables at that point too. I will report back on those when I've had a chance to ride them. Perhaps a powermeter too. I wish I could add a larger chainring - If anyone knows a solution other than a Sram XD conversion let me know!

Anyway here's some pics, let me know if I can help answer any questions

Alasdair
IMG_3846.jpeg
IMG_3847.jpeg
IMG_3849.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,867
Last edited:
Interesting, thanks. Have you seen the specs for the just announced 2018 model? I would like to know if you felt the Tektro brakes constituted an 'upgrade', and if any of the other changes addressed the shortcomings you describe in the 2017...

Hi Carterk, hard to say but if the Retail price is anything to go by ($200 vs. $60 for mine) they should be a big upgrade. They are specific e bike brakes with a sensor built in, I don’t really have any experience with this.

@Carterk also worth pointing out that despite the shortcomings highlighted, for a $3000 these are perfectly reasonable and I think it’s one of the best value ebikes out there! 2017 and 2018.

Good writeup - a few questions:

-Can you describe how you got rid of the front chainring, or which shop had it done for you? I'd definitely do this since I haven't used the second chainring once. I'm in Orange County near the coast...I'd feel a little nervous about trying to do that myself.
-Do you just not use your display, then? Is it mounted somewhere else that I'm not seeing?
-Have you seen any replacements for the rear light? Are there any options out there that flash as well?
-What brand of security skewers are you using?

Thanks!
Andrew

@aschwep the chainring is fairly simple and most good bike shops can do it for you. I always go to Giant Santa Monica and Elon there has always been great. Parts wise you just need a chain guide, I used a Origin8 guide as it's cheap and adjustable, but I would replace the chain at the same time as these bikes are tough on chains. I'm replacing mine every 2-3k miles or so. You need to remove the chain, then remove the shifter, front mech and cables, then reattach the chain (or new one) then adjust the guide close to the chain.
IMG_3851.jpeg
IMG_3852.jpeg

I did remount the display, although if I could hide it I would. I like the clean look and don't really need any of the info it displays. It's a personal thing though, pics below. The mount is (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) and seems to work fine.

Rear lights is my next area to research. I would be keen to hear anyone else experience here as i'm not finding much info. I use a battery one right now and it only needs charged every couple of weeks. Not the case with the front hence why I'm looking for a wired upgrade.

The skewers are Pinhead. A little fiddly but they seem to work fine.

Thanks,
Alasdair

alasdir - thanks for the info on the rack. I've had my 2017 Quick-E for 2 weeks and love it. The rack situation has been puzzling me and still does. what is the thing that comes on the bike? When I bought the rack I assumed that my regular panniers would fit right one but no.. the thing that comes on the bike is so low, it slopes and is weird. Was it Giant's intention that people buying the Quick-E would upgrade once the rack you posted came out? you probably can't answer that but if you do have any insight about how to use the racks that come built with the bike please let me know.

Hi @Catty Wampy i hear your frustrations, they seem to be shared by a few here. I can’t speak for giant and I have no inside knowledge I’m afraid.

Personally I really like what they did, the panniers I have work well and are on the ortleib standard so I’m sure most will work (see my pics up thread) The thing that drew me to this bike was the lack of clutter and fuss on the bike and I may not have been so interested had it come with a more traditional rack. Oh well, different strokes and all that - good to see they might finally be providing a new option.

I get my bike back tomorrow with the brake upgrades, can’t wait!

Thanks @alasdair. I love the way the bike looks too and have been having a blast on it. I am hitting amazing speeds on my commute to work. I was really only disappointed because I didn't want to buy new panniers. I bought this bike from my local bike shop and they really don't know much about it. I enjoyed reading about your improvements (esp. the handlebar width) and will some of the same to my bike after I get some wear and tear on it. I hope you let us know about how the new brakes work.

Back