Quick-E+

I just got one. It's pretty nice. Right now I'm trying to find a rear rack for it, as it does not come with one.

It amazes me that there are not better provisions for a rear rack, vis a vis brazeons on this bike. You might look to see if there are any that attach to the seatpost with struts that attach to the seat stays. I am pretty sure there is something like that available.

I like that it is more focused on the commuter market than mtb however as that seems to be taking a distant second to the amount of e mtb's being marketed by the manufacturers.

Seems that Giant is re-entering the electric bike market in a big way with choices in the mountain bike, road and commuter categories. The Quick-E+ is a commuter style ebike powered with an 80Nm Yamaha mid drive motor, not too shabby on the power side! and a 500 watt hour frame mounted battery. Definitely more stylish than earlier ebike models by Giant from the 1990's. Like the integrated headlight and matching fenders and wonder if the cross struts on the rear fender are study enough for a small set of saddlebags. At $3K, a good price for a powerful speed pedelec.

Quick-E-plus--28mph.jpg

I hadn't noticed the cross bars. I think you might be right Ann in that panniers could be hung from them but the one point attachment to the frame, even though it looks integral to the seat stays, seems like it might be a weak point and some struts to the upper part of the stays would have been nice. But at least Giant is in the ball park with the fenders, lights and at least the potential for adding a rack. I see so many bikes in the commuter class that try for style points instead of sensibility.

I'm not really one to go into an in-depth review since this is my first e-bike, and I haven't been riding it regularly yet as I got it to commute to school and the spring semester has not started yet, but I can give some first impressions.

I picked this bike because it met all of my criteria, mainly a speed pedelec with a mid-drive motor at a reasonable price. I wanted a mid-drive because I live in a hilly area. It is quite powerful, able to ride up the very steep hill I live on with a little effort. The acceleration is not as zippy as the Stromer ST1 I test drove; that might be because it's a mid-drive as opposed to a hub motor. It's got integrated headlight and rear light, but they don't flash. It has three modes, Power, Normal, and Eco, with power giving the most assist while using the most battery power. I rode it today on my commute route which is about 15 miles, and used up about 40% of the battery. I'm sure it would have used less if you weren't going up a lot of hills like I do on my route.

I learned from my local dealer that Giant is developing an add-on rack for this bike, currently on a test release in Europe (dang Europeans and their developed bicycle infrastructure). If you take a look on the insides of those cross-bars on the fender you can see a couple islets where the rack should attach. He says they should be available in the US this summer. Besides the nice fender, it also comes with a really nice kickstand.

Over-all, I really like this bike, although I'm a bit worried about it being stolen since I'll be riding it to a college campus. I'll probably be parking it in the bike cage over there. One other down side to this bike is it's really heavy, maybe over 50 lbs, although I haven't weighed it. I suppose a lot of e-bikes are on the heavy side though. The seat is a little uncomfortable as well.

20170103_153123.jpg
My bike next to a park bench.
20170103_153139.jpg
The islets for the rack that hasn't come out yet.
20170103_153343.jpg
I put my U-lock here. Stays put here, but rattles around a bit.

Nice @Christopher Castillo

I really like this bike, especially at the price. Give yourself a little time with the saddle, you'll be surprised what 3, 4 or 5 days a week in the saddle will do for your comfort. Rumps tend to toughen up with regular riding.

Enjoy your new ride, let us know how it's going and welcome to the forum.

I like the look of their Road-E+.
Right now I'm happy with my Pedego Ridgerider for the trails and my two road bikes for group rides, but I'm 65 and somewhere down the road I'm going to want a bit of help going up those long hills, which, for some reason, seem to get longer as I get older. :)

I've had a couple of major failures on my Pedego Ridgeline. The pedal sense component and the electric motor both failed at the same time. Luckily, the bike was still under warranty.

I guess I just got mad the chain fell off. It's been a while since I've commuted by bike, and maybe I forgot the maintenance that comes with bicycles. I think that nowadays, things like cars are made to simpler and require less maintenance, so I was kind of expecting that to be the case with ebikes. That being said, I'll stick with this one for now. It still runs nicely, and gets me there at the end of the day.

Maybe one day I'll save up enough money for an internally geared hub, or even a NuVinci CVT. Anyone have experience upgrading to one of those?

My chain falls off occasionally. Sometimes,shifting multiple gears quickly can cause the chain to come off.
Also, you may want to find out if your chain has stretched. This can also cause the chain to come off.

For new bikes of any sort, there's a bedding in period of a couple months where the chain and the cables stretch. If the front derailleur or rear derailleur cables have stretched, it's possible that the limiting screws aren't limiting the chain from shifting outside the gears, though the tuning didn't make that obvious before. Shifting quickly can also cause the chain to fall off. Going over hard hits can cause that, too. Basically, be extra careful about shifting - like a stickshift car - because the extra power from the motor stresses the bike parts beyond their usual design parameters.

I think I've been commuting with my Dirt-E about the same time you've had your Quick-E. It didn't come with fenders so I bought third party, though that's usually better in these cases. I even bought an extra Selle Royal saddle because Giant Connect saddles kind of suck. I can go up a hill sweat-free on a hot day, but it'd be pretty slow. I guess you can go fast or you can go sweat-free, but not both.

I haven't noticed it losing power. I have noticed that I notice the power less. That is, it feels like the motor isn't doing anything - exactly like just riding a bike. But then I take my push-bike out for a spin and boy, do I notice it when I get back on the ebike!

Hello Christopher,

I'm actually planning to buy the exact same bike and was wondering if you could give me an idea of the mileage i would get on 1 full battery if i rode flat out in 'power' mode?
The distance i have to cover to work is about 24 miles and consists of mostly flat terrain, so i'm planning on riding 25 mph non-stop.
Do you think this is possible?
If you did the 15 miles in 'power' mode and 'only' used 40% of the battery i guess it shouldn't be an issue, even with hard wind.

Thanks in advance!

Greetz,
Thomas

I've been wrenching in a shop for half my life. I just built 5 of these. I think that for an E-bike it's not bad. It certainly is fast and built well. The only problem I see and it's pretty major is, when the chain drops off the front ring. The spacing between the frame, plastic coweling and s small ring is so tight that if you don't catch it immediately there is going to be serious damage to

I would say that this is entirely possible. 25 miles on full power is no problem. Also I was surprised with the power on the lower settings as well. So you might not even need full power. Therefore extending your range. Just bring your charger and plug it in at the other end to get home.

I've gotten used to shifting, and love almost everything about this bike now. I commute to class with it every day, and use it to go grocery shopping.

The only real problem with it I still have is the rack. The "minimalist" design of the rack really limits functionality as well as options when it comes to attaching panniers, rack bags, or rear baskets. Of course there is no option to use any kind of bag that would require a flat bed on top. You are limited to panniers that can attach to the rack bars. The rack bars themselves also suffer from a couple of problems. First, the rack is angled, giving any basket or pannier you attach to it limited support. In the case of a wire frame basket, this could actually result in an eventual bending of the frame of the basket. Second, the rack bars are too low to accommodate some panniers that require you to use some sort of bungee system that keeps the bag secure by fastening onto the bottom of a traditional rack, using tension to make sure the pannier stays put. This is most grocery panniers out there. It seems you would probably be limited to using more expensive types of panniers that have a more advanced hook system. The only grocery panniers with this type of fastening system I could find are from Ortlieb, and they run from $100-$140.

There isn't much of an option to add your own rack to this bike, because there are no eyelets to mount one, and the integrated rack gets in the way of most other types of racks that might clamp on to the seat stay. I think Giant should have left this rack out of their design, and instead have just mounted the fenders on with something more lightweight, and give people the option to add their own rack if they want to use one. Or I should have gone with a similar bike that comes with a better rack.

The Giant brand rear rack should work well. They can either attach to side frame eyelets, or to the center eyelet that also holds the fenders. The bottom of the rack mounts directly onto the rear quick-release axle - the rack comes with a longer replacement axle for the rear wheel.

Roxlimn: Do you have the product/model number for the rack you mentioned. A picture of the rack installed on the Quick E+ would also be helpful. Just trying to imagine the connect points. I want to be able to show my Giant dealer exactly how to get a rack for a trunk bag on the bike. Thanks.

Back