question on battery care and charging

Joef

I have the Panasonic Shark lithium battery 48V 11.6AH. I've read that it's best not to fully charge it and let it sit, and that it's best to charge it to 90% but do a full charge every month or so to balance the batteries. Is this true? If so, what's the damage letting it sit at full?

I have a cycle analyst which shows, among other things, how much voltage is available. Whent he battery is fully charged, it's around 54. I was thinking maybe charging it till the cycle analyst shows 52 or so. What do you think?

thanks,
Joe

You should probably use the forum search function for this question which get asked all the time

@Joef, there are a number of posts on this matter within the EBR Forum, just use the search box at the top of every page. What would help me help you better is to know how often and how far you tend to ride each week as a way to help you craft an optimal charging plan. You mention a 48V 14ah pack with Panasonic cells (good setup), what is the amperage rating on your charger? 2 Amps/3Amps?

If you ride your ebike a lot, almost every day; say as a commuter ebike, riding almost to the capacity of the battery, then you want 100% charge for those rides. Yes, you will shorten the lifespan of your battery if you charge it to 100% every day; however that is more likely if you run the battery down very low without topping off the charge in between. If you don't ride that often, then a periodic full charge will allow the Battery Management System (BMS) to do the cell balancing (trickle charge) you mention. Plus much of that is dependent upon the configuration of your battery and the Amp Hour rating of your charger. A charger that runs at more than 2 or 3 amps is going to potentially degrade a battery faster. Some manufacturers, like BionX have created deep sleep setups for their batteries so you don't have to wake it up every 30 days.

In general, for non-everyday rides; charge to approx. 80%. For some batteries, storing for a month or so, 50-80% is recommended and do not store where it is hot. So there are a lot of "If's" here. If you want to maximize your charging then invest in the Cycle Satiator made by Grin Technologies in Canada; it's programmable for voltage, chemistry & level of charge wanted, so you're not guessing. It's a great tool if you really need it.

Ann,

Thanks for your reply. I have the Magic Pie 1000W motor and ride once or twice a week on hilly bike trails. If fully charged, after three or four rides, it's ready for another charge. I read about the Satiator, and it looks like a good product but a bit pricey.

I searched the site and was able to find other posts and replies on this subject, including a link to the "How To Double The Life Of Your Lithium Batteries" video which I found very informative. This is a great site and community here.

Joe

Back