Question: Do Vado's Include the Turbo Connect Display (TCD)

Eheller

Hi folks, I'm just about ready to order a 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 It's hard to tell from the Specialized website if the TCD Display is included, or if this is a separate item to order. Hard to imagine how you could get an ebike without a display, but it does not seem very clear.

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks, I'm just about ready to order a 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 It's hard to tell from the Specialized website if the TCD Display is included, or if this is a separate item to order. Hard to imagine how you could get an ebike without a display, but it does not seem very clear.

Thanks in advance!
A lot of things are hard to tell from Specialized website. ( e.g. model year)
I suppose you’ve seen that there are two Vado 3.0. The one for $3,104.99 is an older version and it does NOT come with the TCD according to specifications list ( and picture if we could trust that)
The newer $2,700.00 version does not specify any display but the describing text ( press Read more) mentions the TCD.
Ok, it doesn’t expressly say it’s included but I would be very surprised if they sold them without any display.
I’m not selling the bike to you so I I can’t promise anything.
Hopefully you’ll get more answers from US buyers on this site.

A lot of things are hard to tell from Specialized website. ( e.g. model year)
The model year is here (19 for 2019, 20 for 2020):
1581374810537.png

Ok, it doesn’t expressly say it’s included but I would be very surprised if they sold them without any display.
No Vado can ride without a display. It works as the TCU (Turbo Control Unit). Other models such as Levo or Kenevo have the TCU enclosed in the motor and are wireless. The Vado/Como TCD-W is a wired display, and the TCU is inside the display..

@Eheller, just call the Specialized dealer. They are paid for answering such questions.

The 2020 and 2019 both have displays. The 2020 can use Mission Control app whereas 2019 cannot. The components were downgraded for 2020 to bring the price down (I looked at both side by side when buying my 2019). Either is a good choice, just depends on your priorities.

I just put down a deposit on a Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon and the $6,500 bike does not include a display. I negotiated with the dealer to include the TCD.

I just put down a deposit on a Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon and the $6,500 bike does not include a display. I negotiated with the dealer to include the TCD.
This is because the Turbo Creo SL has its wireless TCU together with the motor. Turbo Levo, Kenevo, Creo don't need a display at all. The wireless TCD display is an optional feature. The user can control the bike and gets the stats via a smartphone.

Turbo Vado and Como use a wired TCU (although the TCD-W works with smartphones too). This is for you @Eheller so you don't draw wrong conclusions :)

The 2020 and 2019 both have displays. The 2020 can use Mission Control app whereas 2019 cannot. The components were downgraded for 2020 to bring the price down (I looked at both side by side when buying my 2019). Either is a good choice, just depends on your priorities.
All Vado and Como always have had a display. The point is, the 2019 and older models have had the obsolete BLOKS display (no smartphone connectivity). The 2020 models should come with the modern TCD-W display and it is why @Eheller asks if they indeed have got the new display.

Regarding the component downgrade, I do agree. If one is concerned with having top-tier components, choosing the top model of Vado is greatly advisable.

Let me give you an example just looking at the brakes:
2017 Vado 5.0: TRP Zurich 4-piston, 180x180 mm
2020 Vado 5.0: Shimano Deore XT T8000, 180x180 mm
2020 Vado 6.0 (Europe): TRP Zurich 4-piston, 180x180 mm
2020 Vado 4.0 (Europe): Shimano BR-MT200, 180x160 mm

As you can see, the 2017 Vado 5.0 had the same top-tier brakes as the 2020 Vado 6.0 has got.

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes
My 2017 Vado 4.0 had the removable Bloks LCD display. I could ride it without the display and change assist modes. May not be the same with your TFT.
The TCD is not removable unless you cut the wiring. Haven’t tried it :D
I know that all Vados come a display but I don’t want to say - Order a 2020 and you’ll get the TCD.
We know that some dealers don’t always have the same ”opinion” as Specialized of what a model year is.
Advice to OP - check with the seller.

My 2017 Vado 4.0 had the removable Bloks LCD display. I could ride it without the display and change assist modes. May not be the same with your TFT.
Mine does not work without the display.
Yes, the OP should check with the seller.

Following up on my original post - I called the LBS where I'll be purchasing and confirmed that YES the 2020 Vado 3.0 in the US does include the Turbo Connect Display (TCD). So, all good!

Thanks for the great info guys. I put a down payment on the sucker - so I will keep everyone apprised of my experiences when it arrives next week or so.

Following up on my original post - I called the LBS where I'll be purchasing and confirmed that YES the 2020 Vado 3.0 in the US does include the Turbo Connect Display (TCD). So, all good!

Thanks for the great info guys. I put a down payment on the sucker - so I will keep everyone apprised of my experiences when it arrives next week or so.
Ehheler. You will be a happy man. Good luck and many happy rides.

Does anyone know if the Turbo Vado becomes "disabled" when the TCD is taken off the mount / contact points? I was wondering if in addition to locking up the bike with good locks and chains dismounting the TCD would provide additional security. I guess you would just let the display hang off to the side since the TCD is not totally removable like the BLOKS display.

Does anyone know if the Turbo Vado becomes "disabled" when the TCD is taken off the mount / contact points? I was wondering if in addition to locking up the bike with good locks and chains dismounting the TCD would provide additional security. I guess you would just let the display hang off to the side since the TCD is not totally removable like the BLOKS display.
I don't believe there are an 'contact points' in the TCD mount. All the wiring cables terminate inside the TCD so removing it from its mount shouldn't disable it.

Since the TCD is 'hard wired' to the bike I would think anyone determined enough to cut your locks isn't going to worry too much about an expensive bike that he can start up and ride off, even with a dangling display. The screw securing the TCD threads into plastic so it's not really intended to be removed too many times anyway.

I don't believe there are an 'contact points' in the TCD mount. All the wiring cables terminate inside the TCD so removing it from its mount shouldn't disable it.

Since the TCD is 'hard wired' to the bike I would think anyone determined enough to cut your locks isn't going to worry too much about an expensive bike that he can start up and ride off, even with a dangling display. The screw securing the TCD threads into plastic so it's not really intended to be removed too many times anyway.
Thanks. Took a look under the display and you are absolutely spot on, totally hard wired and no contact points like the BLOKs display. Guess I should also refrain from taking the display off. Take care.

Thanks. Took a look under the display and you are absolutely spot on, totally hard wired and no contact points like the BLOKs display. Guess I should also refrain from taking the display off. Take care.
There was a post on this forum about changing the display from block to TCD. Way too much involved. Definitely not a device to mess with. Only LBS job.

Please don't confuse the TCD, which is a wireless removable display used on Turbo Levo (including the SL), Kenevo, Vado SL and Creo SL with TCD-W (wired) used on Vados and Comos.

Please don't confuse the TCD, which is a wireless removable display used on Turbo Levo (including the SL), Kenevo, Vado SL and Creo SL with TCD-W (wired) used on Vados and Comos.

Yep, TCD is hardwired into the bike. There's an extra part you can install to prevent folks from removing the display. Recommended to install, but not required. It looks like a metal butterfly stitch kind of thing.

Back