Question about Torque Wrenches

I have one that's very similar, made by Venzo. I think they're out of the bike tool game now, but it has the same case and bits, with a 2-24nm range.

It's actually identical to the one @pelman posted.

Definitely too big to haul on a ride. I've got my multitools for on-the-offroad emergencies, but I'm not too concerned about precise torque settings on the go. If I have to adjust something during a ride, judging by feel is enough to get me home and do the real work.

I'm already hauling more tools than most on my rides, judging by the number of people who I've stopped to help with a wrench or Allen key, or given away my missing link to. :)

If I carried much more, I might as well get a trailer and haul a second bike, as my partner in crime said. She's always giving me flack (and ideas). :)

I also have the Venzo Torque Wrench. Makes a good home shop tool. I don't carry it on rides, just my bike multi-tool. If I had a carbon frame or any carbon components (handlebars, seat post, etc) I'd feel different about this and carry a mini-torque set to avoid any frame or component damage.

I have one that's very similar, made by Venzo. I think they're out of the bike tool game now, but it has the same case and bits, with a 2-24nm range.

It's actually identical to the one @pelman posted.

Definitely too big to haul on a ride. I've got my multitools for on-the-offroad emergencies, but I'm not too concerned about precise torque settings on the go. If I have to adjust something during a ride, judging by feel is enough to get me home and do the real work.

I also have the Venzo Torque Wrench. Makes a good home shop tool. I don't carry it on rides, just my bike multi-tool. If I had a carbon frame or any carbon components (handlebars, seat post, etc) I'd feel different about this and carry a mini-torque set to avoid any frame or component damage.
Yeah, I have no intention of carrying a torque wrench on a day ride but I would like to have a decent one meant for a bicycle.😎👍

I was pointed to this thread by the other one on a beam torque wrench going on and thought I'd chime in.

In 2018 I bought this Venzo wrench, which is a little different than the other one above. A little cheaper I think. I use torque wrenches frequently and I recently noticed it wasn't clicking when it ought to. Before I came to this conclusion, I sheared a bolt on a seatpost clamp and blamed the torque spec on the side of the clamp. Fortunately it was the kind of bolt (an M4) that sheared at such a low value nothing but the bolt was damaged.

I also had a fairly decent 3/8" torque wrench where the same thing happened on a crankarm bolt. I initially thought I was at fault because I set the wrench without having my glasses on, but it turned out I was only a couple foot pounds high.

This is a longwinded way of saying that torque wrenches after a lot of use go out of spec and maybe bad things can happen.

Given the above, I treated myself to new 1/4" and 3/8" wrenches whose maker provides a re-calibration service: Wera, a German company with the tools manufactured in Taiwan. They are not cheap I'm afraid, but they are also way cheaper than most wrenches that have a service like this you can use. They are certified to +/- 3%, and the little individual test printout that came with the 3/8" showed 5 tests (apparently in Germany), with an average across all of them at 1.1%. Not so bad. The 1/4" is the A5 which ranges from 2.5-25 Nm and the 3/8" is the B2 ranging from 20-100Nm. I paid more than what I would for the Park versions, but these are *much* nicer wrenches, and when I wear them out I hopefully can just send them in for a recalibration.

So any convienent source for those? And around $450 for the pair? (If you don't mind me asking.)
I got them both on EBay. $185 for the B2 and $179 for the smaller A5. Gap30 Cycles is still selling the A5 there.

You can pay quite a bit more, of course. And even if you don't its a long term investment not an impulse buy. In particular the B2 compared to the big Park wrench is a big step up in quality. But the small A5 is the one you'll use frequently.

Back