Question about "bad" batteries.

andyw

Hello. I locally purchased a "non-functioning" ST1 from the original owner for a steal of a deal. This bike had been left out in the rain and was neglected for quite a while. Apparently, it had not been charged for over a year. At the price he was offering, I figured that at the very least I had a good frame and a bunch of spare parts for my existing ST1.

After a bunch of cleaning and troubleshooting, I discovered that the only non-working components were the battery and the charger. Sliding my working battery into my newly purchased bike, it runs like a dream.

So here's my question: With the bad battery in the bike, the display reads NO_BATT. Is this the standard error code for a battery that is not outputting the proper voltage? Using a voltmeter, I am getting about 1.5volts across the two main contacts on the battery. Is there any way I can determine if the controller in the battery is good if I was thinking of sending it in and having it rebuilt?

Hello. I locally purchased a "non-functioning" ST1 from the original owner for a steal of a deal. This bike had been left out in the rain and was neglected for quite a while. Apparently, it had not been charged for over a year. At the price he was offering, I figured that at the very least I had a good frame and a bunch of spare parts for my existing ST1.

After a bunch of cleaning and troubleshooting, I discovered that the only non-working components were the battery and the charger. Sliding my working battery into my newly purchased bike, it runs like a dream.

So here's my question: With the bad battery in the bike, the display reads NO_BATT. Is this the standard error code for a battery that is not outputting the proper voltage? Using a voltmeter, I am getting about 1.5volts across the two main contacts on the battery. Is there any way I can determine if the controller in the battery is good if I was thinking of sending it in and having it rebuilt?

The controller is in the wheel.
The one inside the battery is the BMS. "No batt" could be from a malfunctioning controller or display console (I can't remember exactly). Give a call to one of the nearest dealers and they should be able to help you out.

Years ago I had the same issue. If I remember correctly, the Stromer tech I called told me to check the connection at the bottom of the battery compartment. I removed the battery, and found and reattached the connection and the issue was corrected. My wife had to help me with the fix, as she had much thinner fingers. You may need to find someone with small fingers to help you too.

Back