Q: If I restrict my Class 3 to 20mph is it now a Class 1?

tylerrrrrr

Just looking for some specific clarification;

If I bought a Class 3 but went into the settings and limited the speed would it be considered a Class 1? So like, if I got pulled over (haha) then that would be proof enough? or like, the sticker says Class 3 so its class 3 no matter what settings / speed youre going?

Depends on your country, here in germany no way.
Things like that have to go through a complex process of the company applying at the state for the registry of some sort, so it gets legal.
Just because you change something which you can change back easily and nobody checked it doesnt mean, that its done.

Last edited:
Depends on your country, here in germany now way.
Things like that have to go through a complex process of the company applying at the state for the registry of some sort, so it is legal.
Just because you change something which you can change back easily and nobody checked it doesnt mean, that its done.

I'm not sure how it is in the U.S. that's what I'm wondering, but I like your logic - seems like it would be better to get a class 2 and overclock if anything

I'm not sure how it is in the U.S. that's what I'm wondering, but I like your logic - seems like it would be better to get a class 2 and overclock if anything

I´d just say, if you dont know it for sure, go with the safer option if you dont know or cant handle the conesquences ;)

Just looking for some specific clarification;

If I bought a Class 3 but went into the settings and limited the speed would it be considered a Class 1? So like, if I got pulled over (haha) then that would be proof enough? or like, the sticker says Class 3 so its class 3 no matter what settings / speed youre going?

You should consult an attorney, but my guess is yes. And I would cover the sticker with another one.

In my research I cannot find any restrictions on who can set the speed limitation. The classification seems to be whatever the current configuration is, whether configuration was done by factory, dealer or end user (as in the case of a diy bike).

Case in point - the bike I just purchased is Class 3. But the software allows me to make it "off-road" with no speed limit. Does that ability void the Class 3 designation (while off-road mode is disabled)? Presumably not. Adding to the complication is having a throttle available on a Class 3 when the wording I have seen defines Class 3 as pedal assist only. If I turn pedal assist off, and just use (20mph limited) throttle, is it a Class 2? Seems to be. What if I use both at the same time but stay under 20 mph, under 28 mph? I would put that outside the Classes

Last edited:
You should consult an attorney, but my guess is yes. And I would cover the sticker with another one.

In my research I cannot find any restrictions on who can set the speed limitation. The classification seems to be whatever the current configuration is, whether configuration was done by factory, dealer or end user (as in the case of a diy bike).

Case in point - the bike I just purchased is Class 3. But the software allows me to make it "off-road" with no speed limit. Does that ability void the Class 3 designation (while off-road mode is disabled)? Presumably not. Adding to the complication is having a throttle available on a Class 3 when the wording I have seen defines Class 3 as pedal assist only. If I turn pedal assist off, and just use (20mph limited) throttle, is it a Class 2? Seems to be. What if I use both at the same time but stay under 20 mph, under 28 mph?

I agree with your logic there, but if all you have to do is change the setting down, then how come the bikes are regulated by classes instead of just saying "stay under 20mph on class 1 paths" ? I'm just trying to be ultra thorough and make the right decision but this aspect seems like a grey area

I agree with your logic there, but if all you have to do is change the setting down, then how come the bikes are regulated by classes instead of just saying "stay under 20mph on class 1 paths" ? I'm just trying to be ultra thorough and make the right decision but this aspect seems like a grey area
Well, you're asking a question that a lot of us have asked.

It seems like it would be easier to define and enforce ebike laws by using speed limits instead of Class 1 etc. Any cop can use a radar gun to see if you're going over the speed limit for a given trail, or if state law has set a 20 mph limit and you're doing 25, something like that. How many cops are going to know what the 3 classes are, how to distinguish one ebike from another, etc? California requires stickers, but I can't for the life of me see anything preventing someone from putting their own (very official looking) sticker on a bike.

Best advice I can give you: being thorough is good. Over-thinking stuff is not. You get to set your own comfort level between the two. Just know how easy it is to slide from one to the other.

It seems like it would be easier to define and enforce ebike laws by using speed limits instead of Class 1 etc. Any cop can use a radar gun to see if you're going over the speed limit for a given trail, or if state law has set a 20 mph limit and you're doing 25, something like that.

So you are saying its ok to ride any 2-wheeled vehicle on a bike path as long as you are riding under the restricted speed? As you know there is a specific legal definition of a bicycle; should we ignore that also? Your logic presents a slippery slope

If you have to register your ebike where you live, AND somewhere on that registration it lists what Class the ebike is, AND Class 3 is not permitted where you intend to ride then I wouldn't get a Class 3 bike. My thinking is that if you were to get into an accident that caused injury to someone or damage to something then even a novice attorney is going to use that bike registration against you.

Now, if you don't have to register your bike or declare what Class of ebike you're riding then I think changing your configuration in the console is sufficient. However, I'd sleep better at night knowing I had some sort of way of proving that it was correctly set before an accident.

So you are saying its ok to ride any 2-wheeled vehicle on a bike path as long as you are riding under the restricted speed? As you know there is a specific legal definition of a bicycle; should we ignore that also? Your logic presents a slippery slope
I wasn't trying to provide a complete legal definition.

I would think you would have to double-check any local or state laws for Class I, II, or III restrictions. Sounds like if your ebike doesn't provide PAS after 20 mph (or have a throttle); then it is a Class I ebike. Add a throttle with a 20 mph cutoff and it becomes a Class II ebike. As soon as you have PAS between +20-28 mph, it becomes a Class III ebike. Class IV motorbike rules seem to start if your PAS above 28 mph, +750 watts of power, and/or a throttle above 20 mph. I'm assuming you are in USA.

I have a Class II Radrover and I can disable the throttle (on/off button or disconnecting throttle cable or remove entire twist throttle), adjust the PAS motor cut-off between 7-25 mph, adjust the throttle motor cut-off between 7-25 mph, adjust the wheel size to "fool it" into different PAS/throttle cut-off levels, or remove the battery to make it a regular bike. I can make my Rover perform like a class I, II, III, or low speed IV. I keep my Rover at Class II levels; but, I've had pedaled +25 mph (no PAS/throttle) with a stiff tailwind and/or declines.

I've looked around for the answer to this as well. I live in Colorado/Denver which has rules on the books for which Class bike is allowed where. I have a Class 3 capable CrossCurrent S

(28.5) “Electrical assisted bicycle” means a vehicle having two or three wheels,
fully operable pedals, and an electric motor not exceeding seven hundred
fifty watts of power. Electrical assisted bicycles are further required to
conform to one of three classes as follows:
(a) “Class 1 electrical assisted bicycle” means an electrical assisted bicycle
equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is
pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a
speed of twenty miles per hour.
(b) “Class 2 electrical assisted bicycle” means an electrical assisted bicycle
equipped with a motor that provides assistance regardless of whether the
rider is pedaling but ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches
a speed of twenty miles per hour.
(c) “Class 3 electrical assisted bicycle” means an electrical assisted bicycle
equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is
pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a
speed of twenty-eight miles per hour.

All of these say 'an electrical assisted bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance up to xxx and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches x mph'. I am not a lawyer but in my mind it means a bike that is is governed to not go over a certain speed amount. Any bike with a 750W motor can go over 20mph, it just is limited through an artificial limiter to do so. If they said that any bike that has a motor capable of going over 20mph than a ton of bikes couldn't be ridden on bike paths.

I believe until they start making us register our bikes by class and such with the local government I think we should be ok with putting the govenor on 20 and moving forward. That is at least how I see it.

I think the moral of the story is don't be a jerk. All bike paths in Denver are 15MPH. There are ton of kitted up cyclists(I used to be one of them) that would fly down the path going 24mph with no motor, so we are not the only ones breaking laws. Its the guy/girl that decides to fly by a family walking their dog at 24MPH and then split two cyclists heading in opposite directions that should be getting the attention. Its also important to note that going 5 mph over a speed limit of 15mph is not the same as going 5mph over the speed limit of 65mph.

case in point @Bruce Arnold I built my bike is 1000w or is it 750w.......just to be safe its a 730w hehe

Attachments

• 15269084033311760287501.jpg
    15269084033311760287501.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 1,636
Well that sticker actually gets you busted with the "governed at 25mph" wording as Class II is limited to 20mph. Here is a pic of the type of sticker that is certified for use in CA..

IMG_9999a.jpg

Just add the appropriate Class # and act responsibly as this is really all they are looking for as it pertains to the letter of the law, and even then only in CA at this time.

Well that sticker actually gets you busted with the "governed at 25mph" wording as Class II is limited to 20mph. Here is a pic of the type of sticker that is certified for use in CA..

View attachment 22081

Just add the appropriate Class # and act responsibly as this is really all they are looking for as it pertains to the letter of the law, and even then only in CA at this time.

Ill have another made, by law we can ride 30mph but I keep it around 15. Thanls

Ill have another made, by law we can ride 30mph but I keep it around 15. Thanls
David, if I remember correctly you ride in Tennessee? If not disregard this. If so they adopted the same classes as California. I'd hate to see you rely on the 30 mph and get pulled over. You can have a speed pedelec of 28, but without throttle.

"Electric Bicycles
TCA 55-8-301: Part definitions.

As used in this part:
(1) "Class 1 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of twenty miles per hour (20 mph);

(2) "Class 2 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of twenty miles per hour (20 mph);

(3) "Class 3 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of twenty-eight miles per hour (28 mph); and

(4) "Electric bicycle" means a device upon which any person may ride that is equipped with two (2) or three (3) wheels, any of which is twenty inches (20") or more in diameter, fully operable pedals for human propulsion, and an electric motor of less than seven hundred fifty (750) watts, and meets the requirements of one (1) of the three (3) classes of electric bicycles defined in subdivision (1), (2), or (3)."

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/multimodal-...pedestrian-program/tennesse-bicycle-laws.html

It's also noted on the People For Bikes website.

David, if I remember correctly you ride in Tennessee? If not disregard this. If so they adopted the same classes as California. I'd hate to see you rely on the 30 mph and get pulled over. You can have a speed pedelec of 28, but without throttle.

"Electric Bicycles
TCA 55-8-301: Part definitions.

As used in this part:
(1) "Class 1 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of twenty miles per hour (20 mph);

(2) "Class 2 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of twenty miles per hour (20 mph);

(3) "Class 3 electric bicycle" means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of twenty-eight miles per hour (28 mph); and

(4) "Electric bicycle" means a device upon which any person may ride that is equipped with two (2) or three (3) wheels, any of which is twenty inches (20") or more in diameter, fully operable pedals for human propulsion, and an electric motor of less than seven hundred fifty (750) watts, and meets the requirements of one (1) of the three (3) classes of electric bicycles defined in subdivision (1), (2), or (3)."

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/multimodal-...pedestrian-program/tennesse-bicycle-laws.html

It's also noted on the People For Bikes website.
Yep @J.R. you are correct. But this it was i was given by a local cop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-01-15-24-44.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-01-15-24-44.png
    89 KB · Views: 970
I will double check though......but at 15 mph I don't think they will bother me, and im old so that may help to.

(4) "Electric bicycle" means a device upon which any person may ride that is equipped with two (2) or three (3) wheels, any of which is twenty inches (20") or more in diameter...
You know someone is looking at this definition and thinking, "I'm going to offer a folding ebike with a 19" wheel." :cool:

Back