Purchasing a new Electric Bike soon for commuting. Need help!

I used to own a Crosscurrent S and I thought it was a great bike and would suit your needs except for the weight and carrying it up two flights of stairs. I agree that would suck, and would advise against the Juiced bikes because of that.

Of the other bikes I think all of them would meet your needs. In fact at 27 years old and riding 5 days a week I'd guess that you could do a 12 mile flat ride without a motor and not need assistance at all.

You mentioned you're selling your car. If you're replacing a car then I'd think more about what will you haul on the bike and possibly a trailer to carry more. If that's the case then I'd suggest one of the more powerful motors with torque. That would help in hauling heavier loads. I've found that when I do light grocery shopping on my bike once you start buying liquids and canned goods the weight can really add up fast! Of course if you get delivery then I guess not an issue.

But since I think you might have no problem doing your commute without a motor I'd suggest thinking about your other uses for the bike and let that guide what you buy.

I used to own a Crosscurrent S and I thought it was a great bike and would suit your needs except for the weight and carrying it up two flights of stairs. I agree that would suck, and would advise against the Juiced bikes because of that.

Of the other bikes I think all of them would meet your needs. In fact at 27 years old and riding 5 days a week I'd guess that you could do a 12 mile flat ride without a motor and not need assistance at all.

You mentioned you're selling your car. If you're replacing a car then I'd think more about what will you haul on the bike and possibly a trailer to carry more. If that's the case then I'd suggest one of the more powerful motors with torque. That would help in hauling heavier loads. I've found that when I do light grocery shopping on my bike once you start buying liquids and canned goods the weight can really add up fast! Of course if you get delivery then I guess not an issue.

But since I think you might have no problem doing your commute without a motor I'd suggest thinking about your other uses for the bike and let that guide what you buy.
I ended up with the Bulls Urban EVO. Did a test ride to and from work today and averaged 16.9mph going there (55mins w/stops) and 19mph going back (45mins w/stops). My fiancé and I have another car so we use that for everything else other than me commuting and going for rides.

22T chainring? OMG. That's tiny. When I was looking for an e-bike, I was getting turned off by 42T and smaller chainrings that were fairly common. I ended up getting one with a 45T chainring (11T is smallest cog on the cassette). My Trek standard hybrid bike has a 48T chainring. I think some of the Juiced bikes have 52T chainrings.

22T chainring? OMG. That's tiny. When I was looking for an e-bike, I was getting turned off by 42T and smaller chainrings that were fairly common. I ended up getting one with a 45T chainring (11T is smallest cog on the cassette). My Trek standard hybrid bike has a 48T chainring. I think some of the Juiced bikes have 52T chainrings.
That's the last gen Bosch speed motor with a reduction gear inside. I think it's about 2.5, so that's about equivalent to a 55T

That is a fine bike. I had a very similar one, with the the same older gen motor, similar geometry and components. Cadence at higher speeds should be fine with that 22T chainring.

I also would be interested in his average speed on his 14 mile commute, reported by strava preferably.
Hey Johnny, I have a bit more data now that I've done the commute a few more times (starting this week I'm at 4 days a week, 2 days using the train and 2 days going the full 14 miles).

So far, my average MPH is trending upwards. I'm starting to hover around 20mph for the whole trip. If I hit the lights right I can get the commute done in sub 40minutes. I've done that now twice, and I wasn't overly tired afterword.

The bike has been stellar so far, had an issue with the front brake pads rubbing on the rotor, so I took it in to the shop and they adjusted the rotors under warrantee. I can do the whole commute in a single charge if I wanted, but only on either Tour or Eco settings. If I leave it on turbo I definitely can't make it on one charge.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.36.48 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.36.48 AM (2).png
    111.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.37.08 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.37.08 AM (2).png
    116.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.37.34 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.37.34 AM (2).png
    115.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.37.47 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.37.47 AM (2).png
    114.8 KB · Views: 203
looks great ! enjoy!

would love to hear how quickly you’re able to make that commute.
So far I'm averaging about 40-45 minutes averaging around 20mph. Should go up as my fitness level goes up and I can hold those higher speeds for longer/get up to speed faster.

Now that I have a kiox and a nyon on the tandem I dont go by my speed average I go by watts average. that tells me how I am really doing and its not relaly effected by lights. it is effected by downhills though it it really lets me know and my heart rate how well I am doing.

Hey Johnny, I have a bit more data now that I've done the commute a few more times (starting this week I'm at 4 days a week, 2 days using the train and 2 days going the full 14 miles).

So far, my average MPH is trending upwards. I'm starting to hover around 20mph for the whole trip. If I hit the lights right I can get the commute done in sub 40minutes. I've done that now twice, and I wasn't overly tired afterword.

The bike has been stellar so far, had an issue with the front brake pads rubbing on the rotor, so I took it in to the shop and they adjusted the rotors under warrantee. I can do the whole commute in a single charge if I wanted, but only on either Tour or Eco settings. If I leave it on turbo I definitely can't make it on one charge.

18-20mph is a good commuting speed average.

Don't worry about the brakes, all new brakes rub, it will pass in time and with small adjustments.

Enjoy your rides...

Back