Pulled the trigger on a Scorpion today

Bruce Arnold

I love my CCS. A little over 2 years old, with 4000+ miles on it. But I'm not getting any younger. The arthritis in my knees makes it hard to get on and off. I've dreamed about getting a CCX since they came out out, but swinging that leg over the seat to get on and off is more difficult all the time. So I started looking around at step-through bikes. And in the end, the Scorpion won out.

Hard to beat the price. It's been lowered from $2199 to $1899 already, and with the $100 off for Mother's Day, it costs hundreds less than my CCS with the old 17.4 Ah battery.

19.2 Ah, 52 V battery -- that alone is hard to beat. Mag wheels - I've had a couple of broken spokes on the rear wheel and it's a pain. No more! Pedaling won't be the same, and I do like to pedal to get the exercise. I'm looking at it as being like -- what do they call it? -- pedal forward geometry? Apparently some people like it, and I think I'll adapt.

I'm not crazy about fat tires, but they look good on this bike. My wife's Pedego has Schwalbe Fat Franks and she likes them -- very comfortable ride. I expect I will like the tires on the Scorpion.

So, this will be different. A new chapter in my ebike journey.

Now, we wait.

Edit: I was mistaken about the 19.2 Ah battery. It's the 13 Ah. That's fine. Not as cool, but fine.

Last edited:
Been waiting since placing my order in early Feb for a HyperScorpion for my wife. Was able to get it at that time for almost the same price - $1,999 plus tax - by using their Valentine's day promotion (and before they raised the price).

I'll probably try it out, but at 6'4" tall I'll likely look like a monkey on a football when riding it ... ;)

You have been following Tora's weekly blog on Scorpion/Hyper progress? He updates every Friday:
https://www.juicedbikes.com/blogs/news

So the blue Scorpions are probably at sea by now. Still say July 2020 ship date for them, just like the Hypers. However I think that it is likely that you will get your bike before I get mine. Hypers are still in development. Hope they are worth the wait, but I am anxious to see my wife's grin as she returns from her first trip out on it.

Now, we wait...
Today's update from Tora looks like Scorpion production is moving along well. I do hope that the packaging provides adequate protection!!!

But I think that Juiced likely opens all bikes in San Diego before shipping them to the customers, so they should be able to replace a cracked mirror, etc.

Speed tests of the Hyper look promising. I wonder what the range will be throttle only and WFO...

But I think that Juiced likely opens all bikes in San Diego before shipping them to the customers, so they should be able to replace a cracked mirror, etc.

I would think that highly unlikely, unless a box shows signs of damage. Just think of the cost to unbox, test, and rebox. They sure aren't going to assemble then disassemble to rebox.

I would think that highly unlikely, unless a box shows signs of damage. Just think of the cost to unbox, test, and rebox. They sure aren't going to assemble then disassemble to rebox.
You may be right. My only experience with receiving a Juiced bike so far was my RipCurrent S, and that box had been re-sealed.

But then again, I bought it as an 'open box special'! :D

I had an online chat with Kayla at JB today. They estimate they'll ship the Scorpions out of San Diego in July.

Dejà vu for me. I had to wait 3 months to get my CCS, back in 2017. At least I have my CCS to ride while I wait this time.

Reactions: TMH
With the full suspension the Scorpion might be the first bike in this style I'd even think about buying, but it needs a higher top speed because as the battery is used this will drop, and the larger battery. Those slick tires need some some grip. However; as a city/road bike this one might end up having a lot of happy customers.

I had an online chat with Kayla at JB today. They estimate they'll ship the Scorpions out of San Diego in July.

Dejà vu for me. I had to wait 3 months to get my CCS, back in 2017. At least I have my CCS to ride while I wait this time.
While we are waiting for this week's update video to hit, what color did you order?

I ordered the clearcoat brushed aluminum model. Interesting how they are producing the standard Scorpions in big batches per color at a time - I guess they are just trying to get them built as quickly as possible changing the paint booth parameters as little as possible. I will guess that they know volume production better than I.

I just hope that the brushed aluminum Hypers will be the easiest to 'paint' and don't get processed last. Will probably be decided by the number chosen during the pre-order period as compared to the colors.

@TMH I ordered the blue. That brushed aluminum is nice; I've liked it ever since they started making the CrossCurrents in that color. But the blue really does it for me, even more than the red I got on my CCS.

I'm preparing myself to wait until the end of July, and willing to be pleasantly surprised. I hope your hyper comes in then, too.

Reactions: TMH
@TMH I ordered the blue. That brushed aluminum is nice; I've liked it ever since they started making the CrossCurrents in that color. But the blue really does it for me, even more than the red I got on my CCS.

I'm preparing myself to wait until the end of July, and willing to be pleasantly surprised. I hope your hyper comes in then, too.
Oh well, looks like we both wait a bit longer as the black ones are being built first.

I'm sure these bikes will be worth the wait though based on the 5/25 update video!

“ but swinging that leg over the seat to get on and off is more difficult all the time. So I started looking around at step-through bikes. And in the end, the Scorpion won out.”

I understand where you are coming from, Bruce. I have been researching e-bikes for the same reason and some others. So into it, that I went a little funny and wrote to Juiced Bikes with strange epiphany. Maybe I should ease off the pain meds before doing these things. I mean offense to anyone.
Here, for better or worse, is the letter.

“Hello,

I have been looking at your line up of bikes lately and I like what I see. Why?

Unlike other potential e-bike riders, I am approaching choice from a nontypical angle. I just thought it would be interesting for your company to see from where I’m coming.

Background: I have had so many Big C operations in the past few years that my midriff is held together with abdominal reconstructive surgery and a Velcro binder. Really. In my the past I could and did ride my road and mountain bikes. Those were the Good Days, the Salad Days. Not anymore. I’m always in slight pain and constrained. So I gave away my road bike and hung up my mountain bike. Heavy pedaling, and even getting on, the bike is too difficult. Also I am un-young. Time can be cruel, especially while going through treatments. Ages you a tad more.

Then I saw a few step thru e-bikes and thought, “Hey, this could work for me.” No step over top tube and I can rely on the throttle to ride, while pedaling as much as is safe for me. Fresh air and as much exercise as I can handle.
Also, and this is a big one, I probably can’t handle the bumps as much any more. I am 6’ even and 205 pounds and jolts pull at my scars. That’s why the suspension bikes look good. The big moped style seats look better.

So step thru and good suspension. But which bike?

Rad Power Bikes: RadRunner? RadRunner Plus? RadRover Step Thru? (Hard tails. Runner+ has the passenger seat that can be used and front suspension but is still a hardtail and isn’t ready for months)
Zugo: Rhino? (Handlebars look like a reach.)
Monday: Gateway (wimpy 500w)
and of course, the Juiced Scorpion.

The Scorpion checks a lot of boxes, as they say. Power, suspension, seat. Looks cool as hell.

Now this is what I wanted to talk to you about.

A whole untapped market of Men Of A Certain Age!
Sure your bikes are for hip, speed loving youngsters with energy and legs for days. But think about the IRA flush customers eager to get back on the road to relive their Glory Days, to feel the wind in their hair-y ears.
This is a lithium Ion and rubber tire youth tonic.
You could place ads in AARP Magazine, right next to the U.S. Mint coin offers.

The fact that the Scorpion front looks chopper-like is a plus. At least with me. I’d set mine up the play Harley Davidson engine noise through my phone and a bluetooth speaker.

This idea has been bumping around my head for a bit. I like the Scorpion. What’s holding me back is the price point, which is bit higher than I had budgeted, and the weight. The other bikes are lighter than the Scorpion and I am forbidden from lifting too much, lest my hernias tear open again. I do have to think about how much strength I need to handle a bike, on and off.

There ya go. My two cents. Thank you for your time,” Ericcson006

Last edited:
...I mean offense to anyone.
...to feel the wind in their hair-y ears.
You, my friend, fit in just perfect around here!!! ;)

I was really fortunate: $2,144 shipped, including sales tax for my HyperScorpion. Was on a pretty good sale back in Feb, and Juiced let me get the $400 Valentine's Day discount because I had just bought a bike from them a couple of weeks earlier.

Buy once, cry once. Get your Scorpion even if it is a bit above your budget, and get to having some fun riding it! Fun is priceless, especially when we get to the age where our ear hair is outgrowing our head hair!

I was really fortunate: $2,144 shipped, including sales tax for my HyperScorpion. Was on a pretty good sale back in Feb, and Juiced let me get the $400 Valentine's Day discount because I had just bought a bike from them a couple of weeks earlier.

Buy once, cry once. Get your Scorpion even if it is a bit above your budget, and get to having some fun riding it! Fun is priceless, especially when we get to the age where our ear hair is outgrowing our head hair!

Hello Bruce,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I was laid out on the floor and unconscious with Envy.

$2144?

dang

Happy Riding My Fiend.

I thought you might be interested in the video posted on Electrek today.

Seems like Juiced might have 'Scorpion style' bike production running pretty well. Scorpions themselves delayed due to COVID-19 shutdowns, and Hypers delayed from the same, as well as final design validations.

But now it looks like they are cranking the bikes out. Maybe my wife will still get her brushed aluminum one in July.

She won't need it, but maybe I should pre-order the tall seat option part 'just in case'... ;)

I had in my mind the top speed was slower, looks pretty impressive for a 20" wheel, and it should have some decent torque. Maybe they'll do a more enduro version with a little more tire tread. I'd have to replace those mirrors, but if you are really into the retro look it does it. The headlight, which Kirby used in a build, the mirrors and number-plate bracket might have the police stopping you just thinking you need it registered.

I backed the HyperScorpion way back in September of last year on Indiegogo but it looks like it will have been worth the wait. There's really nothing else quite like it. I've been following the progress and the delays. It's been such a welcome distraction during this crazy messed up year.

Many have received the base model Scorpion and are happy with it but several have said they wished they had spent more for the HyperScorpion. I originally backed the standard Scorpion and then switched to the Hyper. I'm so glad I did. 30+mph on throttle only, turn signals, torque sensor, 8-speed cassette gearing, 1000W custom motor, custom mag wheels, daytime running light and alarm system on a bike I paid $1999 for was a pretty good deal!

The accessories that are being developed now look great too. It's going to be a fun bike. Yes, there are other bikes that are much more suitable for pedaling but that's not what the HyperScorpion is about. :)

I'll be posting my thoughts on it for sure. I should be getting it in mid-July it looks like. I chose the brushed aluminum color but it doesn't look like I'll have to wait much longer for it. The bikes are in full production now.

I backed the HyperScorpion way back in September of last year on Indiegogo but it looks like it will have been worth the wait. There's really nothing else quite like it. I've been following the progress and the delays. It's been such a welcome distraction during this crazy messed up year.

Many have received the base model Scorpion and are happy with it but several have said they wished they had spent more for the HyperScorpion. I originally backed the standard Scorpion and then switched to the Hyper. I'm so glad I did. 30+mph on throttle only, turn signals, torque sensor, 8-speed cassette gearing, 1000W custom motor, custom mag wheels, daytime running light and alarm system on a bike I paid $1999 for was a pretty good deal!

The accessories that are being developed now look great too. It's going to be a fun bike. Yes, there are other bikes that are much more suitable for pedaling but that's not what the HyperScorpion is about. :)

I'll be posting my thoughts on it for sure. I should be getting it in mid-July it looks like. I chose the brushed aluminum color but it doesn't look like I'll have to wait much longer for it. The bikes are in full production now.
Bruce says here that the last of the indiegogo orders have been shipped, so you might get your bike a bit earlier. You got a good price, definitely a good switch if you are happy with the style. A lot of nice small touches on that bike.

Somebody made a joke about Alibaba version Scorpions showing up soon. "Skopeon" or such. It seems that American brands mix and match many of the same components from China.
Hard to tell who is copying who.
But wondered... So I searched to see how many "familiar" brand bike would be seen there.

Somebody made a joke about Alibaba version Scorpions showing up soon. "Skopeon" or such. It seems that American brands mix and match many of the same components from China.
Hard to tell who is copying who.
But wondered... So I searched to see how many "familiar" brand bike would be seen there.

Something looks familiar here... just can't seem to put my finger on it. 😉

1592279303580.png

Back