Propella (SS or 7spd) vs Wing Bike Freedom (or S)

Which would you choose, considering all factors?

• Propella SS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wing Freedom S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jkchang82

I'm torn which to get and needed some help deciding. I got rid of my old ebike because it was a foldable fat tire bike, a bit too unpractical to ride in NY. I also ordered it online without ever seeing it in person so didn't realize how big it was. But I've sold my bike and now back in the market for an affordable, commuter bike which I feel is more practical, and as a result will push me to ride more. Here are the two I'm debating over, although I have considered the E-Glide SS model as well.

Propella

Pro: I like them because it looks sleek and like a typical road bike, which is what I owned before jumping to the electric world. The battery looks like a bottle (does it really though?) so I think it could go pretty under the radar. The lightness is also a great plus. For this, I'm not sure whether I want the SS or 7 speed. The only deciding factor there is I'll be riding it across a bridge and in my past experience riding a SS across a bridge, it can be a workout (which I don't want for my work commute).

Cons: It doesn't have integrated lights or a way to hack a throttle on it, or is there? The battery also seems to be of low capacity with no upgrade options. No free shipping either, although $55 isn't too bad for a bike IMO.

Wing Bikes

Pro: Looks unique and sleek as well. It's got a lot of cool features like integrated lights, throttle which I love, plus the alarm system. I'm torn between the full size flagship or the S with 20" tires because while I like the traditional sizing, the small wheels are enticing for storage purposes. Free shipping but I did read about the packaging being on the weak side and people having to wait until new parts come. The build itself seems to be solid (took a test ride of the S today at their office).

Cons: The one issue I have with the frame is that it's super girthy (something I did not notice through the pics). I also am not a fan of the swept back handlebars and will likely upgrade as soon as I get the bike. Also, the alarm system is just a deterrent and with the battery off the bike, it doesn't even initiate. PLUS, I also read about their somewhat unethical digital marketing strategies, disguising as an owner of the bike so that makes it hard to really get an overall consensus on the bike.
When I went to a shop that carried the bike, the employee there also pooped on the Wing Bikes, although he seemed more like a bike snob than someone giving a fair assessment of the entry-level ebikes.

Final consideration: The Propella is a bit cheaper than the Wing Bikes ($100 diff, or $130 with the throttle added to the Wing Bike), not considering the shipping.

Decisions, decisions. Any words of advice from the experienced EBR community that can help me tip the scale on this??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.27.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.27.48 PM.png
    461.3 KB · Views: 565
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.27.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.27.38 PM.png
    267 KB · Views: 539
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.27.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 4.27.34 PM.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 508
I actually did test ride one of them but Propella is not available for that.
Sometimes these direct to consumer companies have Ambassador programs before purchase. Perhaps you can reach out to Propella and see if they have something like that? Try before you buy is something to always consider where applicable.

I know a few folks who purchased an ebike that’s not appropriate for them because they didn’t try it first. Online purchases are very easy but retuning a bike is difficult.

I know a few folks who purchased an ebike that’s not appropriate for them because they didn’t try it first. Online purchases are very easy but retuning a bike is difficult.

FYI-I was one of the lucky ones I guess. Purchased my Ebike online (never taking a test ride first), and I still have it today going strong. The other accessory I always purchase with that kind of bike is an adjustable stem for handlebars. Without it, the bike would have been a bad fit. With it, I was able to dial it in perfectly. Makes a huge difference in your overall adjustable riding position.

So what is your height leg & arm length? Are you standard sized? 6' & 32" leg these days. What size frame are they selling? (distance seat post to handlebar stem) 19 is standard, which would be waay to big for me. I wouldn't want a bike with 20" tires, not if there are any potholes or high (3 cm ) pavement separators or speed bumps.
I wouldn't want single speed if there was a failure & I had to ride home unpowered. Which I've had to do 3 times. In NYC there is more support, like vans that serve as taxis. I have to walk or pedal my bike home. Nobody I know owns a van or pickup.
I bought the bike left without a test, no demonstrators nearer than LA (3000 miles). I did measure very carefully before purchase, and I still had to do mods to the seat post because the frame was too long for me. Suitable for 63" people (they said) that have 30" legs, I suppose.

Thanks for considering us for your ebike purchase and coming by our office for a test ride! Either way you go, the Freedom and Freedom S are great choices for NYC. It comes down to what you find most comfortable between the two. The size of the S definitely comes in handy for storage, if you found it comfortable to ride, then it’s a great option. In addition to our signature integrated lights, alarm system and electric horn, The S has front suspension built into the fork. The Freedom S will be back in stock during the week of June 10.

The Freedom will give you the more traditional bike feel. Our top tube is larger than most bikes to encase big bright lights while also offering more strength in the frame. The Freedom is a very smooth ride, and keep in mind it ships with an optional stem extender to raise the handle bars if you find that more comfortable. The Freedom is in stock and ready to ship.

Back