Problems with the wallke april batch: no regen, 22mph top speed, 0mph coasting.

Curcutie

Region
USA
I’m seeing that many of the recent buyers, including myself, are having these same issues with their new X3 pros. First, my display says that I’m going 30 mph but then the speed on Strava is only just 22mph (26 mph on bike = 18 mph on strava). My speed on my Lectric XP was able to match with Strava. Second, there’s no indication of regen anywhere on the display but I do see fluctuation on the battery bar. The other issue is that the display says 0mph when I’m speeding downhill. Now, I do enjoy the bike but it kinda annoys me that the older models aren’t having these issues. Idk what to do.

Last edited:
What do you mean by regen?
Looks like it has a geared hub motor, most likely Bafang G060.. so it doesn't come with regen.

Well everyone else with this model has regen, plus its being advertised in every review videos. Somehow this feature becomes nonexistent in this latest shipment batch. Regarding the 0mph while coasting, Yes it’s the same with flat surface. The display shows 0mph when the bike is running while no peddling/throttling. Once again, other x3 pros don’t do that, it’s just for people who bought the bike recently.

Okay based on what you just said, here's my guess.
I said "guess" so please take this as a grain of salt. I could be completely wrong.

1) The bike probably had regen capable direct drive hub motor.
2) They switched to geared hub motor without regen, for whatever reason.
3) They did NOT switch the controller, they kept using the controller that's meant for direct drive hub motor, which explains 0mph indication when you're not pedaling.

The best solution would be to contact Wallke though.
Ok I see. This person has already contacted them. They just said the bike is not “compatible” for braking regen??? I kinda feel cheated since everyone else has it. I mean it’s basically one of the main added feature to the 2021 model.

It's not about the bike, you can put regen on virtually any bike, just a matter of getting right system (controller, display, motor, etc).
For example, GMAC motor comes with regen, and you can install them on normal bicycles.

From what you're telling me, you have a controller that was meant for direct drive (most likely with regen) but with a geared hub motor.
You can use controller that's meant for direct hub on geared hub, however, it will cause it to show 0mph if you're coasting.

Basically, your bike's system is a mishmash of everything. My guess is that, Wallke ran out of direct drive motor supply, so without doing anything, they simply replaced the motor to geared hub, without changing controller (and maybe display).
Thanks for this explanation. Your guess makes more sense to me than Wallke's service and sales replies to my same problems from the April/May 2021 shipment. I also have a slower bike than what I expected from reviews on Youtube, no regen, and speedometer that only reads speed when power is going to the motor. I was hoping for a broken wire that may be fixed with some troubleshooting. Bummer.

Last edited:
Just received mine. Seeing the same issues. PAS not working, only throttle no matter what the assist level setting. Speed is wrong, about 7mph off at 22mph, and the speed gauge reads zero unless power is applied.

Just received mine. Seeing the same issues. PAS not working, only throttle no matter what the assist level setting. Speed is wrong, about 7mph off at 22mph, and the speed gauge reads zero unless power is applied.
Yea, me too. Wallke rep says mine was the first complaint hes had... lol. They have done nothing for me for regen or the speedo malfunction. They changed something and its disappointing for sure. I had 2 other issues that they took care of, or, I should say, the parts in the mail.... only after pleading though. Serms these forums and Amazon reviews are our only recourse. Good luck with the WPAS and the speedometer issue. Please keep us informed.

I am also facing similar issues from my Wallke X3 from this batch. Not only does it show zero when I'm not pedaling, it's also not registering distance during that time either. I did a 10 mile bike ride the other day and only 4 miles showed on the trip meter when I got back.

I am very disappointed it's not regenerating like it should - that was the main selling point for me with the bike. I was really excited to get into e-biking, but this is definitely leaving a sour taste in my mouth =/.

Yea, me too. Wallke rep says mine was the first complaint hes had... lol. They have done nothing for me for regen or the speedo malfunction. They changed something and its disappointing for sure. I had 2 other issues that they took care of, or, I should say, the parts in the mail.... only after pleading though. Serms these forums and Amazon reviews are our only recourse. Good luck with the WPAS and the speedometer issue. Please keep us informed.
I am also facing similar issues from my Wallke X3 from this batch. Not only does it show zero when I'm not pedaling, it's also not registering distance during that time either. I did a 10 mile bike ride the other day and only 4 miles showed on the trip meter when I got back.

I am very disappointed it's not regenerating like it should - that was the main selling point for me with the bike. I was really excited to get into e-biking, but this is definitely leaving a sour taste in my mouth =/.
yes you guys are not alone. So far I'm seeing four people on this forum and one other person on reddit that are experiencing these issues. And replying to johnwebike, Wallke support actaully told me I'm the first to send in a complaint but you did it before me. sighhhh. and right now, they just want me to accept that there will be no regen and no coasting speed shown. I'm so annoyed. I mean we're looking at a two thousand dollar bike here. They did want me to send them a gps comparison video. Its gunna be really difficult to film. I'm losing hope here.

Do you think you guys can dm me your order number so I can include them in my email. They act like I'm the only person having these issues.

My order # is 1917. They had me run a no-load speed test on video and send last night. I'm getting between 34 and 35 mph (actual 28 mph, based on my GPS comparisons) when running the throttle with the bike tipped up on the kickstand.

Here's what they had to say about the speed readout:

"The display only count miles during pedal assist or throttle mode. Speed is measured at the motor, and is sensed and displayed only when the motor is providing motive power."

I don't believe this to be true because it makes no sense from a design perspective and I see posts from other owners that counter this statement. Really feels like they changed the configuration and it's not well matched. Motor, controller, etc..

I agree. Same issues, though since the problem I wonder if the "regen" may shorten battery life. Since the battery is good for say 1000 charges, then would regen of just a few minutes several times each ride be using recharge cycles and shortening the battery life cycle? I know little about the batteries but this is a concern Im not dealing with since Wallke boned us on the recharge. Really wish they would fix the speedometer at least. Someone on here suggested a solution by adding a 15.00 speed sensor, but it means cutting into the wiring. Not ready to do that yet. Wallke should issue a olug n play retro kit.
Wallke told me referencing the speedometer, "ive never had a complaint". So, maybe if we all make our voice heard, Wallke may send us a kit to fix the speedo... ??

I'm not an engineer, but I don't think that's how it works.

Your hypothesis is that every time you use regen, you lose 1 cycle of your battery charge capability.
So your battery will be done after 1000 regen brakings, which I don't think it's true. 🤔
Yea, as I said, no battery expert here, but I know items like a phone, was not reccommended to plug in unnecessarily with claim it would shorten battery life. plus im looming for any bright side to feeling ive been duped by Wallke for nixing the regen.
By the way, have you seen other bikes with geared drives that regen? Look up IPAS, and EPAS. There are other manufacturers that seem to be selling the same technology. Displays the same, as well. So its looking like Wallke is not the only user of the regen capable gear drives, and may have simply ran out of the "WPAS" motors, and shipped us non regen "PAS" systems in their place?? In any case, its necessary to keep the discussion and disapointment relavent with Wallke. Hope they make it right, even if it may shorten the battery, and especially if its fine for it.
Oh, and as I understand it, the regen was not ever brake activated on the X3Pro. It comes on any time the bike is over 14 mph while in PAS 0 or PAS 1. So, when you are pedaling or coasting, and switch down to either 1 or 0 PAS setting, the regen is activated, and motor generating would slow your speed. That was a complaint I read in here as well, if you pedal in PAS 0, over 14 mph, the regen kicks in and slows you down. So, there were undesirable issues with it working as well.

Last edited:
The photo attached is of whats on the 2021 April batch from Wallke. Maybe you can shed light on who makes it? It sounds geared to me, like a whining sound under power.
Others that appear to have geared hub regen motors are Eahora, https://www.eahoraebike.com/collections/eahora-folding-ebike/products/eahora-snow-x7-e-pas-ebike
and Yamee https://www.yameebike.com/pages/i-pas
These otber motors appear small diameter like a geared motor, but maybe they are direct drive?? Whats your opinion?
Wallke 750W motor April 2021 batch

Attachments

• 20210604_154655.jpg
    20210604_154655.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 202
What are the upsides?
I rode a bike 40 miles yesterday with huge climbs, 3,600 feet total, and high winds with a consciously disabled speedometer. A bike does not need a speedometer. You can use a phone app but why? It is unnecessary. Next geared hubs are better than direct drive because they are lighter and more efficient. Finally regen is kind-a sucky on a bike. It is not efficient and weighs a ton because it is a direct drive hub motor feature. You are lucky to not have a direct drive with regen. So now it is just a matter of getting the correct Bafang controller and likely a display that goes with it. Hopefully Wallke will pay for these parts plus a speed sensor with wheel magnet because they messed up.

What are the upsides?
I rode a bike 40 miles yesterday with huge climbs, 3,600 feet total, and high winds with a consciously disabled speedometer. A bike does not need a speedometer. You can use a phone app but why? It is unnecessary. Next geared hubs are better than direct drive because they are lighter and more efficient. Finally regen is kind-a sucky on a bike. It is not efficient and weighs a ton because it is a direct drive hub motor feature. You are lucky to not have a direct drive with regen. So now it is just a matter of getting the correct Bafang controller and likely a display that goes with it. Hopefully Wallke will pay for these parts plus a speed sensor with wheel magnet because they messed up.
I can sort of ignore not having regen but I do need a correct speedometer reading and more speed/power. My bike does not do well with hills at all. Shoot, it doesn’t even perform well on flat road. If I don’t pedal hard enough for a second, the power completely gives out and it’ll take another five seconds to comeback in. Plus I have to ride at the highest pas level to get any sort of speed since the actual speed is 8mph slower. My Lectric xp gives me power through and through. Yes wallke did mess up and right now I’m on my fourth email and being asked to send in a second video evidence showing a speed comparison with an app. Yea we are anything but lucky.

Yup. The regen simply isn't interesting to me as I don't think it adds that much back to the battery and adds complexity. I think the geared motor is great. Wish the other issues I'm having would be resolved though. The component mismatch makes me twitch:)

Just caught your screen name. I was stationed out at Two Rock for a few years. Miss that area.

What are the upsides?
Thats all I hope for is they give some solution since one exists.
A working speedometer/odometer is helpful in planning and navigating a trip. It also will prevent traffic tickets where I live. Not to mention, I was sold a bike with a speedometer, not a part time inaccurate one.

Last edited:
Just caught your screen name. I was stationed out at Two Rock for a few years. Miss that area.
The Coast Guard is the best. We do rides in Marin and Sonoma's rural hills and often go through Two Rock. "I was born Two Rock." Last Thursday we did a 39-mile lap of Sonoma Mountain with total climbs of 3,600 feet. We went up to Jack London Park. It was a blast. The heart rate is my friend's. I like that mid-drives can do sustained climbs and longer distances so I can do epic adventures with a three pound battery like the one on this blue bike.

Attachments

• GroupRide2103.JPG
    GroupRide2103.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 05202101.jpg
    05202101.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg