If you own a Stromer ST2S, what's your level of satisfaction?

• Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Steve Wehba

I've had an ST1 for a couple of years. I commute on it, and now have around 10K miles on it. Still works fine, but I was interested in the ST2S because I wanted better brakes, better shifting, smart phone connectivity, and better distance. Now having bought an ST2S and ridden it for about a month, I can say it has been nothing but trouble. The headset, as delivered, was very loose. Some of the LEDs on the headlight are not working. But, most annoying is that the front disc rubs producing a noticeable sound and impeding the wheel's free rotation. I've taken the bike in three times for repairs, but the brake is still not right.

Anyone else out there had similar problems? Stromer and the dealer I purchased the bike from have been incredibly nice, but I can't depend on this bike like my old ST1. In fact, I set out to ride into work today, and the disc rubbing was so intense I turned around and grabbed the ST1.

The headset on my ST2S was also loose, and I tightened it as much as I dared - snugged it up pretty good but any tighter and I am concerned about stripping or snapping the bolt.

Any disc brake can get a high spot on it, be it a car, motorcycle or bicycle. It's almost always caused by pad material adhering to the disc. The simple solution is to clean the disc, sometimes a simple cleaner will do the job, other times you need to use steel wool or emery paper. It only takes a few minutes to knock down the high spots - try it.

Those 3 things = nothing but trouble?
After 10,000 happy miles on st1?
Once headset was tighten, YOU can't even see the couple of leds, and noisy brakes are almost inherent in disc. Brakes.
You must have had a care-free life if those 3 things are "nothing but trouble". I would have fixed 2 of 3 in 10 minutes and would have never noticed a couple leds were out.
Well, there is one bash against a mfg. that likely won't affect any future sales!

The headset on my ST1 was loose (did we all buy them from the same place?) when I received it. Keep in mind it's a compression headset. You cant just tighten the bolt at the top and expect it to to tighten the headset. There are two rotating elements that have to be rotated to make it tight. There is one to compress the headset to the fork (expands the bottom part outward) then another to draw up the fork and compress against the head tube/cap.

Check YouTube for a video showing how it's done for compression headsets. This special headset is used because of the carbon fiber fork.

You may want to forward the video to the bike shop(s) you bought it from as well because they are incompetent. I had to fix a ton of stuff on my ST1 after I bought it. All of the problems were the fault of the shop not knowing how to put it together.

I had constant brake problems with my ST1. I have come to hate hydraulic brakes. I prefer a good set of mechanical brakes like Avid BB7s any day. You said you notice the drag, which sounds like something more than a bent rotor or pad debris.
Your brake problem sounds like the shop bleeding the brakes without the STROMER Magura spacer installed. When you bleed you have to put the proper spacer in to gap the pads correctly (it's a small yellow thing that should have come with your STROMER). Wrong spacer and the pads won't retract to proper position when released, resulting in a constant drag. Of course, if you just ride it long enough the pads will wear away to set the gap and the problem will fix itself.

Last edited:
I've had an ST1 for a couple of years. I commute on it, and now have around 10K miles on it. Still works fine, but I was interested in the ST2S because I wanted better brakes, better shifting, smart phone connectivity, and better distance. Now having bought an ST2S and ridden it for about a month, I can say it has been nothing but trouble. The headset, as delivered, was very loose. Some of the LEDs on the headlight are not working. But, most annoying is that the front disc rubs producing a noticeable sound and impeding the wheel's free rotation. I've taken the bike in three times for repairs, but the brake is still not right.

Anyone else out there had similar problems? Stromer and the dealer I purchased the bike from have been incredibly nice, but I can't depend on this bike like my old ST1. In fact, I set out to ride into work today, and the disc rubbing was so intense I turned around and grabbed the ST1.
Most of the time a bike owner can do a better job than a busy and over worked LBS mechanic when it comes to fine finishing touches. Maybe you might want to see for yourself if you can do something about it.
You might need additional 2 mm headset spacer or replace the existing spacer with a slightly thicker one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749RMWQ...t=&hvlocphy=9004251&hvtargid=pla-351545233371

Last edited:
Many thanks Gus for the tip on compression headsets for carbon Forks news to me. Thank goodness for YouTube!

Back