Pro bike cover, also covered up truck tail lights

Bought xxl Pro bike cover for 26 in step thru mountain fat tire ebike. Put on , ready to go, guess what? Can’t see tail lights.
Had to jury rig in order to travel 1800 miles home. Bummer. Surely manufacturer would have anticipated this. Have full sized Nissan Titan. Should have tested before time to go. What was covered was fine, but has to wrap hub motor and rear disc brake with plastic and duct tape to prevent most grime. Anybody else have this issue. Or am I just a doofus for not anticipating this issue?

Attachments

• 16215BC2-0427-4725-A385-3BFCE6716F9A.jpeg
    16215BC2-0427-4725-A385-3BFCE6716F9A.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 507
I thought the bike carrier for the car should be equipped with the tail-light repeater and the copy of the registration plate?

No idea about that. Drove from Phoenix to British Columbia in 4 days thru SaltLake Spokane etc. no one stopped or questioned me about things you’ve mentioned. Makes sense though.

In Europe you need to make sure all the lights and plate number is visible. Otherwise you would be fined for sure. Not a chance to drive 2 hours like that.
I’m using THULE VELOCOMPACT. You can put your plate number on it as well.

Attachments

• A2ACD410-2F53-4D08-8559-09F687D85413.jpeg
    A2ACD410-2F53-4D08-8559-09F687D85413.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 490
I have the same cover on my motorhome, but with such a large vehicle the covered bikes don't block the brake/turn lights.

I'd like to make two recommendations:
1. A cargo net makes wrapping the cover a lot easier. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D6LTL7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that this is Amazon Canada

2. You could install a set of turn/brake lights on your bike carrier. I used a set of these to tow my 1974 VW Thing behind my motorhome. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PJT2TVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Again, these are Canadian prices.

If your vehicle has an electrical connector for a trailer installing a set of lights would be a relatively easy task. Having to install a wiring kit would be a bit more complicated.

to my knowledge the US does not require lights and tag- they should

although I am sure you can get a ticket if your taillights are covered up

I have a second set of magnetic lights to put on my racks, 1up now has one you can add easier to their system but it is pricey- it was not available when I first bought my racks from them or I would have gotten it

there used to be a cover that had clear plastic on the tire areas so the lights could be seen but last I checked it was not available anymore

I’ve used a cover with clear plastic but didn’t last more then 2 short trips. Definitely for 1800 miles you need something strong.

Thanks everyone. What's really interesting is that Pro Bike, mentions none of this. Even more disappointing is they have not responded to my inquiry to them, or the poor review I gave them... although the cover itself held up well. Their website really comes on strong regarding product and service. My final impression is this cover is really not meant to be put on a truck/car unless you buy light attachments etc. Cheers.

I would hazard to guess Pro Bike doesn't mention the problem with hiding the tail lights because it might hurt sales. You most definitely need lights on your bike rack.
Magnetic lights is a good option, but some cheaper models don't stay in place on bumpy roads. Before buying a set read any and all reviews.

I notice a lot of pro bike products are flagrant ripoffs of other companies stuff. They also say they have superior service etc...red flag in my book.

And some car racks like mine are aluminum and won’t work with magnets so it has to be strapped on there.. pia

Bought xxl Pro bike cover for 26 in step thru mountain fat tire ebike. Put on , ready to go, guess what? Can’t see tail lights.
Had to jury rig in order to travel 1800 miles home. Bummer. Surely manufacturer would have anticipated this. Have full sized Nissan Titan. Should have tested before time to go. What was covered was fine, but has to wrap hub motor and rear disc brake with plastic and duct tape to prevent most grime. Anybody else have this issue. Or am I just a doofus for not anticipating this issue?

Cover fiasco aside, how has the rack worked out for you?

The rack which is called a Rolla Convoy was fantastic. Bought a two bike rack although only used one due to cover fiasco.. these racks can handle fat and regular tires. Super strong, well made easy install.
all big name racks were 450 -600 online other than junk knock offs. I paid 260 plus tax. Plus because of step thru bike bought a Yakima adapter bar for 40. Worked great. I used the rope as a precaution because I never used rack on long drive...not needed. You can use the rack hooks on front wheel or center of bike.
Cant say enough good things. Bought from eTrailer. Com. Wentzville, Missouri. Look them up. Cheers

The rack which is called a Rolla Convoy was fantastic. Bought a two bike rack although only used one due to cover fiasco.. these racks can handle fat and regular tires. Super strong, well made easy install.
all big name racks were 450 -600 online other than junk knock offs. I paid 260 plus tax. Plus because of step thru bike bought a Yakima adapter bar for 40. Worked great. I used the rope as a precaution because I never used rack on long drive...not needed. You can use the rack hooks on front wheel or center of bike.
Cant say enough good things. Bought from eTrailer. Com. Wentzville, Missouri. Look them up. Cheers
:) You forgot it was me that steered you toward the Rola.....happy to see you super happy with it. I feel same about mine.

When I'm concerned about road crime I throw everything in the bed, Not always optimal, but I do it when I can.

My rack is very stable on the bed with a bike on it. I was very surprised how well it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4289.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 327
When I'm concerned about road crime I throw everything in the bed, Not always optimal, but I do it when I can.

My rack is very stable on the bed with a bike on it. I was very surprised how well it worked.

Are you just sitting the rack in the bed of the truck? If so, how is that any different from just standing the bike up in the bed, with no rack?

Back