Priority Bicycles just launched the most affordable Gates belt mid-drive e-bike

I got the Priority Current, have 100 miles on it, and get about 35-40 mph on the battery. I think the trick is to learn to use the CVT to get proper use of PAS and miles out of the battery. The bike is worth the money for a 500 watt mid drive. It takes hills well but willl suck up the battery. I’d have put a 600 battery on it.
I agree..any tips and tricks you might have to help me use the Nuvinci to extend the battery life would be much appreciated. I can't figure it out. If Priority came out with a 600wh battery, I'd buy it.

Last edited:
I agree..any tips and tricks you might have to help me use the Nuvinci to extend the battery life would be much appreciated. I can't figure it out. If Priority came out with a 600wh battery, I'd buy it.
The twist shifter does need to be broken in—I noticed battery mileage increased and became more subtle as I worked it. I found you could arrive at the right tension on the shifter, which is when it becomes harder to shift backwards. Also, I think you can get good mileage by rarely using PA5. 4 seems to have the same power as 5. 2-3 seems the sweet spot. I also find if I want to go fast I jack it up to 20mph using 4-5 and then back it down to 0 and pedal vigorously.

108 lb/ft of Torque? A Harley-Davidson 1200 cc Sportster makes 66.8 lb/ft. I wonder how long a bicycle gear box can stand up to that kind of pressure.

The twist shifter does need to be broken in—I noticed battery mileage increased and became more subtle as I worked it. I found you could arrive at the right tension on the shifter, which is when it becomes harder to shift backwards. Also, I think you can get good mileage by rarely using PA5. 4 seems to have the same power as 5. 2-3 seems the sweet spot. I also find if I want to go fast I jack it up to 20mph using 4-5 and then back it down to 0 and pedal vigorously.

Took a ride and tried this...I think you are on to something about the point on the shifter where is becomes hard to shift back. I also agree about PA5. I rode 15 miles with 1700 ft. of elevation. 6/10 bars remaining.

Could anyone who owns one comment on the speed? After setting it to class 3, I shouldn't have trouble keeping up with my buddy on his Stromer ST3 right?Not taking the riders in to account.
( <--newbie)

I shouldn't have trouble keeping up with my buddy on his Stromer ST3 right?

It would be difficult to keep up with the Stromer ST3. It has a powerful motor that shines once you get up to speed and it can be quite efficient as well.
You would be able to reach 20+ mph but holding that speed for a prolonged duration is a different scenario.

See:

The Electrek guy, Micah Toll, explains the pros and cons of belt drives using his personal Priority Current as an example --- so probably a review to come from him in the near future.
See:

for Toll's review of the Current. I pretty much agree with all his conclusions, but I do have a few minor criticisms.

1. No brake inhibitor switches --- probably a carry over from their Embark Bosch design. I view this as a backup safety feature with the added convenience of adding a brake light if desired. Note, while we're on the subject of brakes, I replaced the front 160 mm with a 203 mm Magura Storm rotor I had lying around which greatly improved the feel of the brake lever (i.e., modulation feel). You'll need a post to post mount adapter and some new m6 bolts to do this.
2. Coming from a full suspension Frey CC as my first ebike, the hardtail/rigid fork Current's ride seems harsh. To help I added a full Kinekt system including the bodyfloat suspension seatpost/Brook Flyer saddle combo and their 30 degree suspension handlebar stem (to install the stem you'll need a riser adapter to replace the adjustable stock stem). These additions considerably improve ride comfort, but they're no substitution for the Frey's pretty sophisticated full suspension setup.

At the non discounted price, not counting shipping, both the Current and the Frey CC come in at about 3 grand. I have 1100 miles on the Frey and 150 on the Priority. With the stock controllers both are "non jerky" and ride just like an enhanced bicycle although the Frey with the ultra Bafang motor feels more powerful at all lower PAS settings plus it has a left thumb throttle which the Current lacks. But at PAS 5, the Current feels similarly torquey as Toll describes, seeming capable of climbing any tractionable hill. Note the Frey comes only in one size while the Priority comes in S,M. and L. At 5-8 29 inch inseam the S Priority fits me better than the Frey, but I guess I've adapted to it. The Frey is a big relatively heavy bike so it's not probably a good fit for smaller people, whereas the Priority maybe 15-20 lbs lighter with slightly skinnier tires (1.9 vs 2.4 inch) feels a bit more nimble and lithe to ride.

I've had no issues with the Shimano Deore shifter on the Frey, and although I haven't gotten around to checking the chain wear yet, I suspect to be able to get at least another riding season out of it. I did add an outer chainring guide/guard to keep grease off my pants/socks. There are entire separate lengthy threads on belt/IGH vs conventional chain derailleurs, so I won't go into that here.

If the Current just had front suspension (a throttle would an extra bonus for me) they would have my money even if it added a bit to the price.

for Toll's review of the Current. I pretty much agree with all his conclusions, but I do have a few minor criticisms.

1. No brake inhibitor switches
Brake inhibitor switches are unnecessay on mid-drive bikes. You stop pedaling, and the motor shuts off. There is not really any scenario where you would both be pedaling and braking to the point of needing to stop.

From the Priority FB page: Just got my new Current yesterday. Charged the battery after assembly and went for a 20 mile ride today. 10 miles downhill (700 foot elevation change) in PAS 0 & 1. Ten miles up the same route ~50% in PAS 2 10-12MPH, 30% in PAS 3 12-15MPH, and the last 20% (Steepest part of the climb back to my house) in PAS 5 at 18-20MPH. Got home with 8 out of 10 bars remaining. I LOVE THIS Thing!
What you didn't tell us is that you weigh only 60 lbs 😁.

I bought this bike after a Pace 500 earlier in the summer—the Pace 500 is the best hub drive bike out there. Yet, I also wanted the mid-drive experience. I wanted a reliable mid drive bike powerful enough to to take me up the steep hills in upstate NY where I visit and in Pennsylvania where I live. I wanted an e-bike with the Gates because chains brake. The Enviolo shifter was a plus because Derailleurs are so touchy. The mid drive certainly can get me up hills at a battery cost at PED 5 the Aventon does not experience. Yet, The current gets 30-43 miles. I think if it had a 600w instead of 500w battery and maybe a throttle, although a 600w battery would do the same effect, this 9-10 bike would be a ten.

I bought this bike after a Pace 500 earlier in the summer—the Pace 500 is the best hub drive bike out there. Yet, I also wanted the mid-drive experience. I wanted a reliable mid drive bike powerful enough to to take me up the steep hills in upstate NY where I visit and in Pennsylvania where I live. I wanted an e-bike with the Gates because chains brake. The Enviolo shifter was a plus because Derailleurs are so touchy. The mid drive certainly can get me up hills at a battery cost at PED 5 the Aventon does not experience. Yet, The current gets 30-43 miles. I think if it had a 600w instead of 500w battery and maybe a throttle, although a 600w battery would do the same effect, this 9-10 bike would be a ten.
I agree. I have to use PAS level 4-5 more than I want to, and the battery pays the price. A 600wh battery would solve the issue.

I agree. I have to use PAS level 4-5 more than I want to, and the battery pays the price. A 600wh battery would solve the issue.
I spoke with Priority and they said they will be selling extra batteries (wattage unknown) sometime in December. The battery really is the only thing that limits this bike.

I noticed that the website only has the Shimano hub option for the Current, the original CVT hub is not available (but the cost of the bike is still $3k, I assume no discount now). The Shimano hub was available as an option before (+$300). My research indicates that this hub has a 200 260% range of gear ratios, much less than the CVT hub (I measured 310% which matches up with the "City" groupset. Shipping mid-December.

Last edited:
Back