Price increase - 2021 - 25% Chinese Tariff

Heard that eBikes are getting a dispensation from the tariff war.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has ruled that e-bikes fall under the same category as electric motorcycles and therefore share an exclusion, granted in September, from the Trump administration's Section 301 tariffs on Chinese imports. The decision means importers of Chinese e-bikes are now exempt from paying the 25% tariff the administration imposed in August 2018. Importers should be able to collect previously paid tariffs as well.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has ruled that e-bikes fall under the same category as electric motorcycles and therefore share an exclusion, granted in September, from the Trump administration's Section 301 tariffs on Chinese imports. The decision means importers of Chinese e-bikes are now exempt from paying the 25% tariff the administration imposed in August 2018. Importers should be able to collect previously paid tariffs as well.

It sounds like it is still up in the air. The OP is from Aug of 2020 and the article you share in your post is from Sept of 2019.

Kevin Dugger made another reference to tariffs yesterday, stating:

"Now we have to absorb 25% tariffs on most of these containers and lose all profit margin."

and when asked if pricing will be going up...

"That's definitely the expectation right now. As soon as the first bills start coming in,"

No. No. No. Buy, buy, buy before they're all gone (pump n dump, pump n dump, pump n dump). last chance to buy !!!

How can what hasn't been here "return"? Is Sept 20th a magic day that transcends time?
I knew I bought with an advanced company.
Your post makes no sense. Sept 20, 2020 has come and gone. The tariffs ended up coming back more recently, as stated in by Ride1Up's owner as shown in his comment that I linked to in my most recent comment in this thread before your three posts. Geesh. Come on now, attention to detail! Read the dates including the YEAR on the posts/links above before responding with nonsense to an old post.

Last edited:
It's official.

"Due to 25% tariffs on electric bikes (Jan 1st 2021) our prices have increased +$100 per model."

Order before March 10th to beat the price increase. I just ordered mine last weekend not aware this was coming.

The 'arrival' of the tariffs is pretty confusing to be honest. They started a long time ago. But were granted exemption extensions, which ended, but then were extended again (pre-election), for political reasons no doubt, but it looks like they are finally here to stay. All of this has been quite difficult and confusing for planning purposes.

It looks like the price increase finally spilled over into batteries.

1617470959274.png

Last edited:
This battery price increase is separate from the tariffs. Battery prices jumped 160% because Samsung LG, and PA have a shortage of high-capacity 18650 cells. So we're possibly changing to 21700 or looking for any other solution. They've increased base prices. This shortage should be temporary, and we hope to lower battery prices again soon. https://ride1up.com/battery-prices/
It is costing us a lot more for battery packs right now :(

This battery price increase is separate from the tariffs. Battery prices jumped 160% because Samsung LG, and PA have a shortage of high-capacity 18650 cells. So we're possibly changing to 21700 or looking for any other solution. They've increased base prices. This shortage should be temporary, and we hope to lower battery prices again soon. https://ride1up.com/battery-prices/
That was quick. Thanks for the response.

i rather to pay $100 more to get a brand battery (LG or Samsung) than an unknown brand. I just ordered by second bikes from them for my oldest son since he liked my Ride1up roadster and I used the plege discount to get $40 off. 😁

the $100 increase is still a good deal since we get good product and free shipping and no sale taxes for me. I also purchased a Radpower bike for my youngest son today and it charged me 6.25% tax which is around $70 dollars

"still a good deal since we get good product and free shipping and no sale taxes for me" (Cali sales tax is 9 point something. I paid a bundle to have my R1U bike shipped - AND Sales Tax).
Can you explain yourself a bit further.
Are you a Montana tax objector or what's your secret to avoid CA Tax Franchise Board?
LOL. We that live here all want to know !!!

It's been all over the financial news for a month that there's a bottle-neck/ shortage of the good 18650's.
Surprised you held prices this low this long. 18650's have been going up for a while. Good show you're looking to real alternatives (21700's).

"still a good deal since we get good product and free shipping and no sale taxes for me" (Cali sales tax is 9 point something. I paid a bundle to have my R1U bike shipped - AND Sales Tax).
Can you explain yourself a bit further.
Are you a Montana tax objector or what's your secret to avoid CA Tax Franchise Board?
LOL. We that live here all want to know !!!
I live in MA and ride1up didn't charge me sale tax. but radpower did.

The 700 series went up another $100 on top of the first $100 increase, so it's now $200 more than what I purchased mine for in early March ($1495, not including the pledge discount). It's now $1695. Glad I got it when I did.

Back