Presta chuck for air compressor?

Telkwa

Has anyone found an air chuck with gauge that fills Presta valves? There's the $100+ Park tool which I assume works great but don't want to spend that much.

I took a chance with a PrestaFlator Pro. What a joke. The so-called Presta chuck leaks so much air it's useless.

My Joe Blow hand pump has a nice head on it with a lever that locks down securely on Presta stems with a twist of the lever and releases quickly too. If I could figure out a way to adapt the Joe Blow chuck to my air compressor or to the PrestaFlator handle I'd do it.

I had a similar experience with a Prestaflator Pro and my air compressor. If you hold it on with one hand while inflating with the other, it works. I sprang for the 'big head'.

But for sure its not worth the money.

I no longer bother with a traditional air compressor. I have a few onboard air compressors (one for each bike) that use the ebike battery as a power source. Wrote it all up here. These have passed the test of time for repeated use and durability.

A few months back I decided to give pumps with an onboard battery a try. If you do your homework, you can find pumps that more than likely use a hi-capacity single 18650 or 21700 cell inside so they have great longevity and still have low weight. Riding on remote beaches for miles, I needed to deflate (for traction) and then reinflate once the ride on the beach was done and the several-miles-long paved trail home remained. This is the one I've been using the longest and what matters is it has a 2600mah capacity battery inside. Thats huge as these things go.

It has a follow-on version and I also bought one of those. Same 2600mah pack and its lighter (plastic case vs. alloy).

Both work great and can be relied upon for multiple LONG runs - I was pumping two 26x4.8" fat tires up from 5 psi to 15 psi.

Most importantly all of them have locking chucks.

v
v
Here’s what I’ve been using for years with complete success: Enjoy !!!

RideAir ConvertAir (Pair) Presta to Schrader Converter (not Adapter) Aluminium Anodized Black Change Your Tube or tubeless Valve to Schrader Easily - for Presta Removable Core​

1648350176653.jpeg

fooferdoggie - I don't understand how that SKS chuck fits onto your Makita hose? Your second link goes to the Prestaflator that I bought. I think that Presta chuck is called a Silca? I believe that refers to a chuck from the company Silca, and I imagine to Silca knock-offs? As mentioned in the original post, the Prestaflator was an expensive mistake AFAIC. I'm trying - trying is the key word - to go to tubeless. Our rims are Bontrager so I bought the Bontrager TLR system. Rim strips and valve stems. The rim strips are a hard plastic. The valve stem base is supposed to key into a recess in the rim strips but in reality all it takes is a small twisting force and the valve stems pop out of the recess resulting in complete loss of air. There's too much twisting and shoving involved to get the Silca style chuck on or off the valve stem. Once air starts leaking I've gotta spin the wheel and get sealant to flow to the leak. This valve stem trouble area is exacerbated by the Bontrager asymmetrical rims. The rim isn't flat where the valve stem goes thru. The valve stem ring nut contacts the rim on one side and hangs out into space on the other side.

I'm about ready to either give up on tubeless or rip out the flawed Bontrager system and go with tubeless parts that seem to have a good rep, like DT Swiss.

I'm looking at chucks with hoses, like this one. Figure I could remove the Prestaflator hose and adapt this to it. It might take some shopping around for the right fittings. I hate spending money on things that might or might not work...

M@ Robertson, I admire your inventiveness. Don't understand how you got power from your bike battery. Our Bosch batteries don't have any wires hanging off them. I have no desire to start poking around inside the multi-contact port.
The two links you provided to units with onboard batteries - it looks like the first one relies on USB "C"? Don't have that. Could buy an adapter but it wouldn't be the amount of power that USB "C" can provide. The second one; does it use a mini-USB connection? Like a cellphone?

I dunno, there's something about using adapters that convert back to Schraeder that rubs me the wrong way. I woulda been happy to stick with Schraeder in the first place but the industry has moved on for the most part.

I appreciate the ideas. It's just really frustrating - Presta has been widely used for years now but there are few devices that connect to an air compressor unless you want to shell out the big bucks for the Park tool.

Back