Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

Very good points but does it warrant over double the price of a RipC?
I didnt realize that Juiced raised the base price of the HF1000 to $3749? At that price point would rather buy a 2nd Bosch bike with 500wh battery.

Considering some of the quirky behavior of the HF1000 motor/controller combo at low speed, I’d pass at the current price.

I think the HF is that price all optioned out, but given it's sold out and with the new RC I doubt it will go back on sale, as it is a niche non street legal bike.

The RC takes what they learned from the HF and CCS and makes a nice fat bike that is street legal....which I would assume there is a bigger demand for.

My .02

public service announcement. I have about 300 miles on my HF1000. Checked the rear spoke tension and there were a number of spokes, maybe 4-6 that were almost completely loose. Loose enough that I could hand tighten the nipples. I ended up taking it to the LBS to have them recheck everything. So, everyone check your spoke tension regularly, especially after the first couple hundred miles.

public service announcement. I have about 300 miles on my HF1000. Checked the rear spoke tension and there were a number of spokes, maybe 4-6 that were almost completely loose. Loose enough that I could hand tighten the nipples. I ended up taking it to the LBS to have them recheck everything. So, everyone check your spoke tension regularly, especially after the first couple hundred miles.
I have about 250 miles and had the LBS check and one was slightly loose. It's good to keep an eye on it though.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a quick 999 mile update to my experience with my modified HF1000. Overall, I am satisfied with its performance. In Seattle winter weather it has performed well. I have only had to lay it down once in the snowy slush due to loss of traction on my street tires (Origin8 Supercell). 99% of my riding has been on asphalt. I was caught in a pea-sized hail downpour that lasted long enough to put down about 1". My tires gripped surprisingly well until the hail started to melt; which is when I fell. The Supercells do have good traction and are quiet, but their amount of self-steer (or whatever you want to call it) is pretty extreme. However, it is not so bad that I would consider tossing the tires. I have found that the 42-tooth chainring has worked well for me. I was able to bike without battery power for about 13 miles on the flat with no problem (68 and 40 lbs overweight). My battery has performed well. With 999 miles I think I have lost maybe 2 tenths of a volt on the top end. I haven't had to have any of my spokes adjusted. In order to get some exercise I generally ride in ECO & 9 on a 14 mile ride with about 622 ft of ascent. On the steepest parts I'll use assist levels 1-3 for a short time. This gives me an extrapolated range of approximately 40 miles with my 17.4 battery. Attached are some stats that may be of some interest.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a quick 999 mile update to my experience with my modified HF1000. Overall, I am satisfied with its performance. In Seattle winter weather it has performed well. I have only had to lay it down once in the snowy slush due to loss of traction on my street tires (Origin8 Supercell). 99% of my riding has been on asphalt. I was caught in a pea-sized hail downpour that lasted long enough to put down about 1". My tires gripped surprisingly well until the hail started to melt; which is when I fell. The Supercells do have good traction and are quiet, but their amount of self-steer (or whatever you want to call it) is pretty extreme. However, it is not so bad that I would consider tossing the tires. I have found that the 42-tooth chainring has worked well for me. I was able to bike without battery power for about 13 miles on the flat with no problem (68 and 40 lbs overweight). My battery has performed well. With 999 miles I think I have lost maybe 2 tenths of a volt on the top end. I haven't had to have any of my spokes adjusted. In order to get some exercise I generally ride in ECO & 9 on a 14 mile ride with about 622 ft of ascent. On the steepest parts I'll use assist levels 1-3 for a short time. This gives me an extrapolated range of approximately 40 miles with my 17.4 battery. Attached are some stats that may be of some interest.

View attachment 20180

You've kept really good data on your rides. I've been meaning to inquire with other HF1000 owners if they've had trouble with the motor or the controller. I have a current support ticket with Juiced Bike open to address my controller that sometimes cuts power after only a mile or less of riding. Also, does your motor have that quirky feeling of stuttering or bogging down when you start from stand still?

You've kept really good data on your rides. I've been meaning to inquire with other HF1000 owners if they've had trouble with the motor or the controller. I have a current support ticket with Juiced Bike open to address my controller that sometimes cuts power after only a mile or less of riding. Also, does your motor have that quirky feeling of stuttering or bogging down when you start from stand still?
I haven't had the issue of cutting power, but your second issue is something I have occasionally experienced. It has been difficult to nail down just when or why it happens. I have observed that it does not seem to happen in ECO and since I spend most of my time in ECO I have not been overly concerned about it. Before I determined this I thought the problem may have been the result of the controller temperature since it seemed that it happened toward the end of my rides, but the temp at which it happened seemed to vary between the low 40's to mid 50's. Something that may have some effect on the frequency is my 42-tooth chainring, but since I spend most of my time in 9th gear I'm not so sure. The slightly lower rolling resistance of my street tires could have some small effect, but unlikely. Frankly, nowadays it happens so seldom that it has been difficult for me to nail down the cause or circumstances. Perhaps when the weather warms up and I do more trail riding it'll then be more of an issue and I'll have more data to pass on.

anyone experiencing a very weird sound coming from the back wheel/motor when riding?
It's happening also when in high speeds, and it's not the spikes since I tightened all of them after reading issues here about it, hoping it will fix the noise. But nope, noise still there.

It's like if something was moving around in the motor, some loose screws or something...

anyone experiencing a very weird sound coming from the back wheel/motor when riding?
It's happening also when in high speeds, and it's not the spikes since I tightened all of them after reading issues here about it, hoping it will fix the noise. But nope, noise still there.

It's like if something was moving around in the motor, some loose screws or something...
Is it the geared motor from Bafang? Could be the clutch/gear assembly. Does it make noise stating off?

The motor on the HF is made by MAC. From what you describe, it sounds like maybe a gear tooth sheared off and its rattling around inside the housing. If a magnet unbonded from the motor casing it would sound a lot worse.

That is a pretty easy fix, the MAC clutch and gear assembley is essentially the same. Juiced should have parts.

Google mac clutch replacement. Several good videos and EM3ev seems to have the best price, even with high shipping. $50.

Do they have a metal gear replacement like the Bafang Ultra ?
NOT a good idea. The gears are fine, and should last MUCH longer. Could be a clutch problem. Typically, unless you want a screamer one metal gear can help, but again, the quality synthetic ought to last thousands of miles. IMO.

Back