Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

The problem with the aftermarket mid-drive kits is that very few of them have torque sensors. A good torque sensor transforms the way an e-bike rides IMO. It feels less like an electric scooter and more like a normal bike where the electric assist is given proportional to how hard you pedal. A good hub motor is fine on flatter ground. Where mid-drives shine is on steeper climbs (above about 10%.) They give you the mechanical advantage of the gearing. As the video on the Juiced Bikes YouTube channel shows the Hyper Fat has no trouble climbing. The 30 amps of peak power goes a long way addressing the shortcomings of a hub motor on a hill. Another issue with mid-drives is that many of them cut assistance when you pedal over about 80rpm. Since I come from a road bike background that would be super annoying as I generally pedal 80-90rpm.

Coach, I'm going to respectfully disagree with raymann above. While hub motors certainly work fine, and you could get one that has more power which will do the job for you, I would recommend a mid drive instead. Since you mentioned you are a larger person, you'll need a bike that has both power and torque to distribute that power appropriately. A hub drive is basically just trying its best to rotate the wheel it is mounted to (usually the back wheel), and therefore it's gear ratio is statically defined by the diameter of your tire. Mid drives, on the other hand, are driving the gear train through the shifter/derailleur, which allows you to choose a gear to maximize torque when needed, say when going up a hill. Hopefully that makes sense. If I've got any of this wrong someone feel free to correct me.

No, you're right and I agree with you. My point is while a mid drive would do the job better, a hub motor can do the work as well and at a cheaper price. I'm at 260lbs although I was 293 two months ago when I got my first bike, ebikes and a change in diet are working wonders for me.

It's been two weeks since we've heard from @Tora Harris or anyone at Juiced. Previous communication stated November delivery contingent on September assembly. By now you should have line of sight to the possibility of meeting this revised schedule.

Please provide an update this week to maintain my confidence in the project and your company.

Also... you guys claimed the addition of the Mozo air fork was included in the June price increase - when shipping cost was rolled into the base price. The September update also says that the more recent price increase now includes that same fork. Claiming this is related to the more recent price increase is a double dipping, a practice know to some as lying. It really makes me question the level of honesty we're getting here.

It's been two weeks since we've heard from @Tora Harris or anyone at Juiced. Previous communication stated November delivery contingent on September assembly. By now you should have line of sight to the possibility of meeting this revised schedule.

Please provide an update this week to maintain my confidence in the project and your company.

Also... you guys claimed the addition of the Mozo air fork was included in the June price increase - when shipping cost was rolled into the base price. The September update also says that the more recent price increase now includes that same fork. Claiming this is related to the more recent price increase is a double dipping, a practice know to some as lying. It really makes me question the level of honesty we're getting here.

J51mtb,

Are you also contacting them directly? I think its great that they keep an eye on the forums but your best bet is to call or email?? just a suggestion.

Andy

Interbike is going on right now and a lot of new and updated electric bikes are entering the market. After watching Cort's video on the new 2018 Surface 604 Boar, it looks like it got more powerful, with throttle and a price drop. It could be an alternative to the HF.

They do make torque sensor in mid drive and just because you saw it on you tube don't mean shiot. Sorry but I have to agree, mid drives are the way to go. J.S.
So a mid drive with torque sensor and thumb throttle would also be an option. I'm having trouble finding that. I like the Biktrix EMoose 1.0 and Juggernaut Classic HD but neither have a torque sensor. Can you point me to a few to look at before making final decision?

the-alamo-at-san-antonio-th-1.jpg
someone told me my HF was safe in the basement

Too many other nice bikes out there to wait for something that you're not gonna be happy with anyway. I have been trying to get a hold of them for an existing problem for too long. No luck for me. Hope you have better luck.
If it is everything it is advertised to be, I'll be getting an excellent deal. I have looked and looked and it seems there is nothing comparable anywhere close to this price range. If there is another significant setback, though, I might look into motorcycles instead.

Since it looks like we won't be getting the bike for a while, any thoughts on winter riding? With the speed the bike can go, I'm thinking I might need a full balaclava and some mittens to go over my gloves. I been going winter camping for years so I think I'm fine when it comes to clothes.

Also I heard lithium batteries don't do to well in the cold, what kind of performance ya'll think we'll get out of this in the winter.

BTW, I live in Virginia, doesn't snow too much here but it can get cold.

Too many other nice bikes out there to wait for something that you're not gonna be happy with anyway. I have been trying to get a hold of them for an existing problem for too long. No luck for me. Hope you have better luck.
I guess I'm not the only one then. It took two weeks and five emails before I heard from Juiced.

Last edited:
I hope so. Coming up on a month since last update. A monthly update should be the absolute minimum on an already late product. More like every 2 weeks.

Last post: still really looking forward to this bike.

I answered someones question on another thread and the admins didnt like my response so they deleted it. Im not going to waste my time on a forum that does that so im out. Ya'll take it easy.

Back