Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

M2S and Biktrix and others look similar to me i.e. off the shelf existing Chinese supply and designs. These bikes are already developed, tested, and proven.

Juice on the other hand is designing their own, which have drawbacks e.g. delays from testing and supply issues. Patience is needed and running out LOL.

However don't be shocked to see the Juiced design get copied. The next crop of Chinese Fat Tire bikes could look and perform like Juiced. I say this because Juiced seem to me like a small independent start up that are at the mercy of Chinese factories. Trek, Felt Specialized don't have this problem because they are backed by deeper pockets and able to leverage Chinese factories.

M2S and Biktrix and others look similar to me i.e. off the shelf existing Chinese supply and designs. These bikes are already developed, tested, and proven.

Juice on the other hand is designing their own, which have drawbacks e.g. delays from testing and supply issues. Patience is needed and running out LOL.

However don't be shocked to see the Juiced design get copied. The next crop of Chinese Fat Tire bikes could look and perform like Juiced. I say this because Juiced seem to me like a small independent start up that are at the mercy of Chinese factories. Trek, Felt Specialized don't have this problem because they are backed by deeper pockets and able to leverage Chinese factories.
Agreed! Almost all of these small ebike companies are all using off the shelf products with just a few customizations here and there to make them somewhat their own. If you look at most of the specs on these bikes from different companies, you will definitely notice a similarity in components that are more on the inexpensive end from front suspensions to brake systems to tires. There is nothing wrong with using off-the-shelf components and you can be a little more selective with pricing and especially customer service when dealing with these companies.

@Tora Harris,

If I was noob, I would be very excited about that video but as someone who advocates E-bikes and invested in the space, I have strong negative feelings about it.
"With great power, comes great responsibility"

A video from a reputed manufacturer showing their ebike can do 35mph is not a well thought out promotional material. It may attract some kind of buyers but it enoucrages impulsive and reckless behavior.
I am glad more Cross Current S are coming to the market. 28mph is plenty enough on a 2" tire ebike. But, if more people start riding at 30mph, it may lead to some adverse situations.
HyperFat is becoming almost like a motorcycle. I am sure the weight is around 70lbs with a 17Ah pack. If someone crashes at 35mph without proper gear, it can be tragic.
Manufacturers like Shimano or Bosch or Brose can easily design a 2KW motor and 2KW battery pack. They have the resources but they don't do it because they respect the laws. If companies find a loophole and start exploiting it to push 30+ mph bikes, many states will end up like NYC.

See you at Interbike.

Last edited:
@Tora Harris,

If I was noob, I would be very excited about that video but as someone who advocates E-bikes and invested in the space, I have strong negative feelings about it.

A video a from a reputed manufacturer showing their ebike can do 35mph is not a well thought promotional material. It may attract some kind of buyers but it enoucrages impulsive and reckless behavior.
I am glad more Cross Current S are coming to the market. 28mph is plenty enough on a 2" tire ebike. But, if more people start riding at 30mph, it may lead to some adverse situations.
HyperFat is becoming almost like a motorcycle. I am sure the weight is around 70lbs with a 17Ah pack. If someone crashes at 35mph without proper gear, it can be tragic.
Manufacturers like Shimano or Bosch or Brose can easily design a 2KW motor and 2KW battery pack. They have the resources but they don't do it because they respect the laws. If companies find a loophole and start exploiting it to push 30+ mph bikes, many states will end up like NYC.

See you at Interbike.

Ok, good points, but realistically how is Juiced getting these bikes made without staying within the ebike class definitions?

I don't fully agree with the current ebike class definition structures around class 3 bikes. I think the legal assisted speed should be more like 32mph. Is there some law that would make this type of bike illegal in its current form?

realistically how is Juiced getting these bikes made without staying within the ebike class definitions?

It's all grey area. Most companies who want to bypass the regulation just put a button like "sport mode" that will bypass all speed limits. if the user decides to engage it, then the liability is on the user.
In the US, ebiking is new and nobody is enforcing anything but in EU, cycling is serious business. From moms to professors to kids, everyone rides a bike and you can't do such things in the EU. There will be repercussions.

Here are the problematic states in the US. You can read more about the E-bike laws and regulations here.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I don't fully agree with the current ebike class definition structures around class 3 bikes.

I respect your opinion. Each one is entitled their own.

I ride Class 3 bikes all the time and very rarely maintain 28mph sustained. It's for a very brief period that I hit. Even some of my hardcore biking friends who put 10K miles a year think ~23mph is the sweet spot. Anything above you're just draining the battery too quickly and I find it is just a cheap thrill. I value my safety more and I also want every ebiker/walker on the trails to be safe. It is not a nice feeling to walk your kid or dog and find an ebike zipping at 30mph closeby.

I was watching this video today and I really wish the US society had more of this mindfulness aspect.

Almost like a Motorcycle? 35mph i hope it goes Faster! Thats why I bought this bike to begin with. Since day one this bike was shown and promised to deliver over 30mph thats why I bought it and I'm sure everyone else did too. Hell there are many e-bikes out there that go 50 mph offered to the public or easily built. My only problem with Juiced is their lack of Transparency. A simple e-mail to their 150 or so investors into this bike should be their #1 concern, not publishing more BS videos.

Top speeds really depend on the situation and location of where the user depends on using a bike like this. My regular commute is 16 miles and runs along bike lanes in city streets with 35 mph speed limits. This is followed by a few more miles of city streets without a bike lane where one has to be brave enough to take the lane. Anything I can do to be a little bit faster, I believe is going to make me safer when sharing the road with cars that are moving much higher than the posted speed.

At the end of the day, for me it's about common sense. The last four miles of my commute is through a downtown area, and riding anything over 20 mph is unsafe for everyone.

I think for a lot of people who are interested in buying this bike, it's more about letting the user decide how fast to ride vs artificially limiting the bike to what is deemed "safe".

If anyone is deciding to use a HyperFat as a commuter like I am, anytime you can save a few minutes is a god send. I'm looking forward to making my morning commute in under 45 mins vs 50-55 it usually takes now.

Speed and acceleration make you safer when taking the lane. If I ride this in bike lanes I would not be doing 35. In my city commute the speed limits are mostly 25 so this way I don't have to worry about slowing any cars down or being passed in an unsafe way. I don't see this as very different than my 40 mph gas moped. I do wear a snell tested motorcycle helmet, jacket and gloves and I plan on using all that with the Hyperfat. I'm in KY, where they are more lenient with what has to be registered.

I have no problems with the video. Whether 35mph is safe or not is relative. 35 on a bike path is reckless. 35 on a county road is safe and needed.

35mph near people could be reckless but as it was said above, it really depends on the situation. Many people are riding ebikes in cities or populated areas not country roads. As far as safety goes regarding that video, riding 35mph in an open lane is fine, but 35mph on the shoulder of the road is not safe.

Last edited:
@Tora Harris,

A video from a reputed manufacturer showing their ebike can do 35mph is not a well thought out promotional material. It may attract some kind of buyers but it enoucrages impulsive and reckless behavior.

See you at Interbike.
The California law is pretty easy to understand. At the very least, an ebike should be labelled for the speeds and the power, whether it has a throttle. No lawyer would sign off on a separate setting.

The industry got 'everyone' on board for California. I think it passed the legislature unanimously. But then one vendor out there, Moonboy or something, trashed it. Basically the industry could have called him out, a long time ago. Instead, they seem to be following in his footsteps. The next time there is legislation in California, it will probably be a grim reaction to the problems out there, right now. Cal is not a model for anything except futility.

Oh well. I set my bikes for 750 watts. A speed around 20 mph works well if you want to pedal, on a basic conversion bike. I thought ebikes would build on the liberal opportunity that California presented. Instead, it got completely perverted. I think Harris needs to ask where he is going.

The speed this bike is capable of is the most important reason behind my purchase.

I live on the east coast and I'm from the south, I couldn't care less about California law. Legislating on something as diverse as bikes is stupid. Most states in the country aren't bothering to legislate on this issue and with the exception of a few cities (which I'd never go to anyway) no ones enforcing them.

The way many, if not most, subdivisions are made now mean you have one major road with little tree like branches connected to it and not each other. To get anywhere in the rural area I live in means I have to go down those 55mph roads to get anywhere. I'm taking the lane and it's a lot safer not to force traffic to slow down as much as they're less likely to try to pass you.

The close second reason it it's power, I have a 350w bike now and I still have to struggle up some of the hills here as I'm only about 40 miles from some mountains.

We ride kitted classic mopeds in the second largest city in KY, some of my friend's single-gear bikes can hit 70+ mph, yet the police don't care unless you are on an unregistered shifty, or doing something stupid. Individual bike trails should restrict whatever they want, but we don't need nanny-state laws like in Europe or CA. What we need is to eliminate dependence on fossil fuels however we can. If I have to pay motorcycle insurance on the Hyperfat (doubtful) it is a small price compared to all the expenses of owning a car. The hand-wringing is pretty funny to me.

Last edited:
It's still not clear if the recently announced integrated GPS option they mentioned will be available or not. I don't mind waiting a bit longer as I have a generic bike I can use to exercise with for now. I asked via support message to confirm they won't ship my order without this feature since I'm waiting to wait. (but they didn't say one way or the other) I was told to add it to my cart and link it to my order when it's ready.

Hub, im a big guy and i live in a very hilly area. I have a 350w hub now and while it does struggle up hills, it does beat them with a lot of work. On a flat area with a more powerful bike its a no brainer. The hub is cheaper and simpler as well so it has fewer points of failure.

Generally speaking, for a heavy rider that will mainly use on flat roads - mid drive or rear hub?
Coach, I'm going to respectfully disagree with raymann above. While hub motors certainly work fine, and you could get one that has more power which will do the job for you, I would recommend a mid drive instead. Since you mentioned you are a larger person, you'll need a bike that has both power and torque to distribute that power appropriately. A hub drive is basically just trying its best to rotate the wheel it is mounted to (usually the back wheel), and therefore it's gear ratio is statically defined by the diameter of your tire. Mid drives, on the other hand, are driving the gear train through the shifter/derailleur, which allows you to choose a gear to maximize torque when needed, say when going up a hill. Hopefully that makes sense. If I've got any of this wrong someone feel free to correct me.

A good (and commonly referenced) company would be Luna Cycles, where you can either order a powerful pre-assembled bike or buy a kit to mount to your own bike. They have both mid drives and hub drives available. They also have more resources for you to read up on the advantages and disadvantages of each.

EDIT - I have no connection to Luna Cycles other than future plans to purchase a mid drive BBSH kit from them

Back