Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

Here is a update on the HyperFat project http://www.hype-bikes.com/. We also show a quick demonstration of the torque sensor working. The bike is coming together nicely and has amazing performance unlike anything on the market. We have ordered all of the parts for the Founders Series units and now working on the controller's software as we wait for parts to arrive to start assembly.

Last edited:
HyperFat 1000 Watt E-Bike: Custom Wire Harness

One of the problems we encountered with building the HyperFat is the motor cable. The 1000 Watt MAC motor uses an external speed sensor while the Bafang uses the internal speed sensor. The MAC also has a temperature sensor and the result is more wires needed for the motor.

Also there are a few additional cables for the speed sensor and LED lights etc. To give the bike a professional look we needed to make some custom wire harnesses. For such a small batch of totally custom cables we needed to call on a favor or two to pull it off.

The cables are mocked up on the bike and then drawings are made for the cable supplier to follow. Once the cables are made they are separated out and sent to the various suppliers for installation onto each part.

In this case we send the unterminated cables out to the Brake Supplier, Motor Supplier, Display Supplier, Controller Supplier and Torque Sensor Supplier. They solder the wires onto the parts and then send them to final assembly. Like a jigsaw puzzle, everything should go back together and look clean when installed on the bike.

Unfortunately it is never the case that we get things perfect on the first go. It's just too many factors to align perfectly, so we iterate and eventually the wires appear more and more orderly.

@Tora Harris - So are you saying on the Founder's Series first run we should expect things to be "beta" or things to be a "work in progress"?

Also, on this first run will the suspension fork and hydro brakes be available as an upgrade once the bikes are at the final assembly point? Is it to early in the process to even know.

The bike looks great!
Thanks

@Tora Harris - So are you saying on the Founder's Series first run we should expect things to be "beta" or things to be a "work in progress"?

Also, on this first run will the suspension fork and hydro brakes be available as an upgrade once the bikes are at the final assembly point? Is it to early in the process to even know.

The bike looks great!
Thanks

I dont understand the distinction. The initial bikes will but as good as we can make it. As time goes on we for sure will make improvements, some in software some in hardware. The bike is designed in a open way so upgrades can be made very easily. This industry is moving very rapidly. We will slot in parts as soon as it becomes practical.

We will make an announcement about the Hydraulic Disc and the Suspension fork etc. shortly. Pre-orders will have the ability to upgrade to those parts.

I dont understand the distinction. The initial bikes will but as good as we can make it. As time goes on we for sure will make improvements, some in software some in hardware. The bike is designed in a open way so upgrades can be made very easily. This industry is moving very rapidly. We will slot in parts as soon as it becomes practical.

Thanks Tora.. That is great! I look forward to the process... I appreciate the info.

Just bought my HyperFat Founders Series last night. Can't wait! I added the 1000W MAC, the torque sensor and the 17.4ah battery.

I'm 6'1" 235lbs in Venice, CA and was wanting to ride a bike to work for exercise but there is a MASSIVE hill on the way in to the office that would be a deal breaker. That led me to e-bikes and I eventually found my way to Juiced. I had decided on the CrossCurrent but once i saw it was backordered I discovered the hyperfat which looks amazing. I'm a long time motorcycle rider and am excited to find such an interesting combination of a bike and motorcycle.

Anyway sorry for rambling but I'll be sure to check in here with my initial review.

The MAC motor is one of the highest performance E-bike motors available today. http://www.macmotortech.com We visit the factory to check up on our HyperFat motor order.

The motor is rated for 1,000 Watts and can send the bike past 30 mph very easily. The motor is made with high quality materials to start, but also manufactured with great care.

The combination of the 1000 Watt MAC motor, our 30 Amp controller, torque sensor and our massive 48 V / 21 Ah packs makes for an incredible e-bike riding experience.

Learn more ‎www.hype-bikes.com

@Tora Harris again should I consider getting a torque arm just for peace of mind? How is the dropout on the hyper fat frame since its not a steel frame, or would you guys be looking into that. Thanks

Question on the front suspension. The website does not show a front suspension when ordering however the you tube videos do. Will the production model have the front suspension?
Jim as Tora said in a reply few posts above "We will make an announcement about the Hydraulic Disc and the Suspension fork etc. shortly. Pre-orders will have the ability to upgrade to those parts." they are looking into suspension forks right now, since there aren't that many for fat bikes.

is that $99 a good deal? I don't know pricing ranges here.

and darn it you still got me thinking about that torque sensor. I was convinced I really didn't need it but I've never ridden a bike with one and after a few reviews...im not sure.
Not a great deal if the charger has a problem. ALWAYS look at warrantees. I have two $80 chargers that died a month out of their 90 day warranties, now what? Start by doing he numbers. Someone in this thread also mentioned the Satiator. A charger with a very good warrantee and one that can grow with your hobby. Peer reviewed research has sown that charging to 80% can more than double the battery life. So it I take my $500 battery and double the life, essentially I have $1000 in value. That $300 charger has me ahead on one battery by $200. 200 in my pocket. Next battery or backup battery or different voltage battery and I can use the same charger. I just saved myself another $50 to $100 bucks. Maybe it's the mindset that everything should be low end and value priced to be worth buying, frankly that confuses me. Batteries are the most expensive drain on the eBikers wallet. Anything I can find to extend life leaves dollars in my pocket. No brainer for me. It IS hard to swallow. I mean on face $300 is steep. But being able to charge ALL my batteries from 12-60V. Change at a full range of rates, fast if a need hit, slow for best pack health. Charge at user determined percentage. 50% for storage 80% for longevity. 100% for a longer ride. A history of the battery charge cycles, and more. I used o have 4 chargers. Even if they were ;ow end I'd still have near $175 in and no warranty over a couple of months. I sold them and the same guys selling the $80 chargers sold hundreds of Satiators. But the margin on Satiators is nowhere near that of the China chargers and the warrantees, are, well, abysmal.

OK off the soapbox. Can someone show me the data proving that a torque sensor saves on battery power? I do get the difference, and it is nice for the bicycle purist, but does the torque sensor have a payback as short and obvious as a programable charger? Please educate me. As I understand the physics, the power has to come from somewhere. If you increase range with the TS, it's because you provided additional power. Important for a EU 250W limit with no throttle, but you'll save more with a $300 charger than a $200-$300 torque sensor. Promise.

Use high quality torque arms. Those stamped steel Chinese clones are poor protection. Mac motors have a lot of torque. If an alloy frame, use TWO. The largest distributors of Mac motors sell Grin torque arms. I had my last set powder coated and they even look nice. I wish there was an alternative to the hose clamps. There's a really good thread on ESdotCom on custom torque arms. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26444&start=15

Use high quality torque arms. Those stamped steel Chinese clones are poor protection. Mac motors have a lot of torque. If an alloy frame, use TWO. The largest distributors of Mac motors sell Grin torque arms. I had my last set powder coated and they even look nice. I wish there was an alternative to the hose clamps. There's a really good thread on ESdotCom on custom torque arms. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26444&start=15

We are machining our own torque arms that screw into the frame.

Not a great deal if the charger has a problem. ALWAYS look at warrantees. I have two $80 chargers that died a month out of their 90 day warranties, now what? Start by doing he numbers. Someone in this thread also mentioned the Satiator. A charger with a very good warrantee and one that can grow with your hobby. Peer reviewed research has sown that charging to 80% can more than double the battery life. So it I take my $500 battery and double the life, essentially I have $1000 in value. That $300 charger has me ahead on one battery by $200. 200 in my pocket. Next battery or backup battery or different voltage battery and I can use the same charger. I just saved myself another $50 to $100 bucks. Maybe it's the mindset that everything should be low end and value priced to be worth buying, frankly that confuses me. Batteries are the most expensive drain on the eBikers wallet. Anything I can find to extend life leaves dollars in my pocket. No brainer for me. It IS hard to swallow. I mean on face $300 is steep. But being able to charge ALL my batteries from 12-60V. Change at a full range of rates, fast if a need hit, slow for best pack health. Charge at user determined percentage. 50% for storage 80% for longevity. 100% for a longer ride. A history of the battery charge cycles, and more. I used o have 4 chargers. Even if they were ;ow end I'd still have near $175 in and no warranty over a couple of months. I sold them and the same guys selling the $80 chargers sold hundreds of Satiators. But the margin on Satiators is nowhere near that of the China chargers and the warrantees, are, well, abysmal.

OK off the soapbox. Can someone show me the data proving that a torque sensor saves on battery power? I do get the difference, and it is nice for the bicycle purist, but does the torque sensor have a payback as short and obvious as a programable charger? Please educate me. As I understand the physics, the power has to come from somewhere. If you increase range with the TS, it's because you provided additional power. Important for a EU 250W limit with no throttle, but you'll save more with a $300 charger than a $200-$300 torque sensor. Promise.

The Cycle Satiator is the best charger for e-bikes period. It basically does everything and built to be nearly indestructible. It can charge very fast, very slow, any battery and charge to any charge level. If you can afford it, just get it. It's worth it.

Torque Sensor can save battery energy if set up correctly.
It is easy to understand why by thinking about it like this: A car's gas pedal is not a on/off switch. It has many levels of actuation so you can modulate your power in the starts and coasting etc.

The cadence sensor-only type bikes are like on/off switches. It flicks the motor on when you start pedaling and turns it off when you stop pedaling. If you ever use them you will realize that it very often turns the motor on at times when you don't really want or need the boost. That is what is wasting energy. If the boost is set too low and you pedal harder to accelerate, it will feel like the motor is inhibiting you. In those moments you are wasting energy. Those little inefficient moments add up and overall you can have less range.

The torque sensor measures the pressure you put on the pedals and also can measure how fast you are turning the pedals. With those 2 bits of information it can work out your intensions quite precisely (if programmed right). The controller can apply power to the motor to exactly match those intentions. So when you want to speed up, pedal harder and the bikes speeds up. If you want to go slower, pedal softer and the bike will slow down. Your intensions and the motor's power are in harmony. This is more efficient.

On less powerful bikes with around 250W, you may not feel the difference as the motor just does not have the power or torque to really accelerate forward when you push down harder.

On the HyperFat which can peak at 1,500 Watts, the feeling is very impressive. The bike can react to your every move and amplifies your effort by around 5x. The bike feels totally weightless. However, even in the highest boost setting, you can ride the bike very slowly, controlling the bike's speed with just the pressure you put on the pedals.

On a completely different note, any suggestions on a rack for this bike that can fit a 1 1/4 in hitch. The most I've seen won't be able to handle the weight. Right now I'm leaning toward the 1 Up rack.

http://www.hype-bikes.com/ It's difficult to wrap your head around the HF's performance just by looking at the specifications. With double the power, up to double the battery capacity of the average e-bike, combined with torque sensing pedal assist, the HyperFat absolutely flies on the ground.

Because the torque sensor is so sensitive and the MAC motor has so much top end, it never feels like you can push down hard enough to saturate the system. No matter how hard you push on the pedals, it still feels like there is more to give. No matter how soft you push, the torque sensor can detect it and drive the motor in the slightest bit enough to engage the clutch so its zero lag in acceleration when you do crank down. This feels totally limitless.

When you are done riding, just toss it on Grin's charger and it's done charging in like 1 hour, insane! It's a dream come true for e-bikes. We will post more videos of the onboard riding experience.

Back