Possible Giant Hack

How quickly did you press the light buttons and did the display switch off after you did it ?

Thanks
very quick, probably almost as fast as I possibly could. Display went off right after I did it. Note hte display said "maximum speed: 28.0" mph even when it was in "slow" mode

Ok, hands up all of us who have tried this and only managed to switch the display from day to night?

Btw, mine says " maximun speed 51.8 k" - that's not the max boost level, it's the fastest I've ridden it . As an aside, is there amy way to clear this?

Ok, hands up all of us who have tried this and only managed to switch the display from day to night?

Btw, mine says " maximun speed 51.8 k" - that's not the max boost level, it's the fastest I've ridden it . As an aside, is there amy way to clear this?
Which Giant E-bike do you have. 51.8km/h?
Is this with pedalling?

if you want to reset any of the display settings, scroll to the display you want to reset and then press the centre of the up/down arrows until it resets to zero.

if you want to reset any of the display settings, scroll to the display you want to reset and then press the centre of the up/down arrows until it resets to zero.

I don't know how many times I've reset trip time / distance using that technique, but it's never worked on top speed - until tonight! Thanks.

Going back to my original post, 5 times sets the Uk 25kph limit, the USA etc must be different than that, either different combinations or more than 5 times?

Or 5 just sets it to whatever your countries limit is?
This is most likely the case. I bet each motor has region specific firmware with the limit set, so no amount of button presses will change it to another limit (hope I'm wrong as it would be a freebie for us).
You would probably need to upload a modified firmware with a new top speed set. Only giant probably has this software, unless it has been leaked by someone online.

This is most likely the case. I bet each motor has region specific firmware with the limit set, so no amount of button presses will change it to another limit (hope I'm wrong as it would be a freebie for us).
You would probably need to upload a modified firmware with a new top speed set. Only giant probably has this software, unless it has been leaked by someone online.

This must be the case. Mine said "top speed 28.0 mph" before and after doing the 5 button trick to get it out of the demo 10 mph max mode. now it says 30.4 as thats my new highest speed. Assist seems to cut out around 27.6 mph, but I'm so rarely at that speed its hard to say for sure.

Hi. My Giant Quick-E+ 2018 from Canada, pressed the light 5 times when on and it did 3 things on 3 different occasions one after the other. Remove the assist completely, 2nd: Top Speed 20km/h , and 3rd: 32km/h. I managed to get info from Giant Canada and this was their response:

"Unfortunately the speed restriction is not as simple as a governor or software, the motor itself is a 32km/h motor, countries with higher speed limits receive different motors on their Giant E-Bikes. We are aware of some speed limit hacks on speed dongles that are available over the internet, however, I would advise your customer stays away from such techniques as this will void his warranty and can cause damage to the E-components. "

Not sure if they would supply different motors as in Canada and in South Africa they are both advertised as: Motor: Giant SyncDrive Sport, 80Nm, 500W, Powered by Yamaha .

Could be a firmware and my guess is Giant may have also updated their software to prevent users from using the by pass of pressing the light 5 times.

I will contact and ask Giant South Africa for any tips as all the Giant E-Bikes that are sold here, go 45km/h

Hi. My Giant Quick-E+ 2018 from Canada, pressed the light 5 times when on and it did 3 things on 3 different occasions one after the other. Remove the assist completely, 2nd: Top Speed 20km/h , and 3rd: 32km/h. I managed to get info from Giant Canada and this was their response:

"Unfortunately the speed restriction is not as simple as a governor or software, the motor itself is a 32km/h motor, countries with higher speed limits receive different motors on their Giant E-Bikes. We are aware of some speed limit hacks on speed dongles that are available over the internet, however, I would advise your customer stays away from such techniques as this will void his warranty and can cause damage to the E-components. "

Not sure if they would supply different motors as in Canada and in South Africa they are both advertised as: Motor: Giant SyncDrive Sport, 80Nm, 500W, Powered by Yamaha .

Could be a firmware and my guess is Giant may have also updated their software to prevent users from using the by pass of pressing the light 5 times.

I will contact and ask Giant South Africa for any tips as all the Giant E-Bikes that are sold here, go 45km/h

As the owner of a 2019 Quick-E from Canada it saddens me to confirm the light 5 times does not seem to do anything.

When I first picked up my bike the assistance was limited to about 20km/h, so I brought it back to the LBS, they hit some buttons to "disable demo mode", and it then assisted to 32km/h as expected. I was happy.

Fast forward a month and I find this thread. I had high hopes but the key press sequence appears to be disabled or different for the 2019 model. The LBS won't give me the "code" either.

Great bike. Just would like to go a smidge faster.

I tried this on my US-CA Quick E -- five light presses put it into a slower mode(~15 mph). One light press restored default settings(28 mph).

I've a trance e+2, limited to 15.5mph/25kmph due to being in UK. Would love to get an extra 5mph assist on top like the US bikes.

I've tried this on a 2019 Quick E in Australia and it appears to do nothing, just changes the screen brightness and lights.

Hi Guys,
I am thinking about buying a 2020 Giant Fathom E+3 25km/h, do you think that the hack can work on this bike?
Would love to get an extra 5 km/h.
Cheers.

Last edited:
This must be the case. Mine said "top speed 28.0 mph" before and after doing the 5 button trick to get it out of the demo 10 mph max mode. now it says 30.4 as thats my new highest speed. Assist seems to cut out around 27.6 mph, but I'm so rarely at that speed its hard to say for sure.
Which button? Can u boys tell me exactly how I do it?

Back