Portable, medium-high security lock suggestions for new Magnum Ui6 appreciated.

europa_66

Hello! New here, and just brought my new bike home last week. Need some recommendations for fitting a lock. I'd like a U-lock, but wondering if it will fit with the thicker frame and balloon tires. Maybe 2 locks? Needs to be portable. I park inside for work, so just looking for a lock for short period lock ups - say maximum 1 hour.

Thanks!

I've got the Metro, came with QR front wheel and seat post. I've replaced QR with regular hex pieces and got a Foldylock Compact (https://seatylock.com) lock, just ordered Hexlox (https://hexlox.com) locks for front wheel, seat post and saddle.

The Foldylock is 30" long, will not go around frame, wheel and stanchion most of the time. I lock the frame and use a cable lock for wheel right now, will skip cable. lock when Hexlox get installed. I think it's basically level 4 out of 5 security setup. Use my bike for errands, rec & ex. Longest public lockup only about 2-3. hours. for food/shopping.

IMG_6033.JPGIMG_6034.JPG

My unfortunate experience is that any lock can be defeated. I often use the two lock method. One fairly heavy cable lock to lock down the bike and a lighter cable to secure the wheels. Two locks at a minimum slows down a thief. I hate u locks because they are heavy and bulky. When I had to park all day at the train station I bought a junk bike off craigslist. When I commuted longer distances I was either able to park near a guard station, bring the bike inside or park where I could see the bike. Since you are able to park inside for work you’ll probably be fine with some good cable locks. Avoid any lock that can be snipped in a second. Usually the weakest part is the lock, not the cable.

Ironically I’ve had few bikes stolen and all from my home. In fact I have mostly locked them when stored indoors. And even then they were stolen.

Thanks to all for the input. I have decided on two locks. I purchased the Kryptonite New York long shank U Lock as my primary lock for frame and back wheel. The extra length is perfect for securing over the thicker frame, back wheel and fender, while not allowing too much extra room for leverage tools. For storage, I just lay it on top of the rack and secure with a bungee. The secondary is still being considered-I've ordered a mid security Kryptonite U-Lock with a cable and the 8mm Kryptonite chain lock. I'm thinking there may be slightly more versatility with the ULock and cable, but ease of storing the chain lock around my seat post is also a consideration.

Last edited:
Two strong locks and removing all quick releases is going to be your best option. I have a balloon tire ebike and due to the thicker frame and tires it's not often possible to lock it up well with just a single lock.

What I do on the rare occasion I need to lock it up outside is use my Abus bordo 6500 (very nice folding lock), Kryptonite U-Lock, and also a kryptonite cable with loops on each end. Both locks are somewhat portable and can mount to the bike. Ideally i'll have one lock going through the frame to pole, one going through the rear tire to pole, and then run the long cable through the seat and both tires, locking the loops into the u-lock or folding lock.

If you can squeeze the rear tire and frame into one lock (I can sometimes do that with the folding lock) even better. Often I can't do this though because of the bigger tires and frame

Two strong locks and removing all quick releases is going to be your best option. I have a balloon tire ebike and due to the thicker frame and tires it's not often possible to lock it up well with just a single lock.

What I do on the rare occasion I need to lock it up outside is use my Abus bordo 6500 (very nice folding lock), Kryptonite U-Lock, and also a kryptonite cable with loops on each end. Both locks are somewhat portable and can mount to the bike. Ideally i'll have one lock going through the frame to pole, one going through the rear tire to pole, and then run the long cable through the seat and both tires, locking the loops into the u-lock or folding lock.

If you can squeeze the rear tire and frame into one lock (I can sometimes do that with the folding lock) even better. Often I can't do this though because of the bigger tires and frame
Luckily my stops around town have all had dedicated bike racks, so I've managed to use the long shank U-Lock to secure both the frame and back wheel to the rack with no issue. I had been wondering about replacing the quick releases too, but thought it was maybe overkill. I'm sure however, that would be something that would add that extra bit of security, so I am considering it.

My unfortunate experience is that any lock can be defeated. I often use the two lock method. One fairly heavy cable lock to lock down the bike and a lighter cable to secure the wheels. Two locks at a minimum slows down a thief. I hate u locks because they are heavy and bulky. When I had to park all day at the train station I bought a junk bike off craigslist. When I commuted longer distances I was either able to park near a guard station, bring the bike inside or park where I could see the bike. Since you are able to park inside for work you’ll probably be fine with some good cable locks. Avoid any lock that can be snipped in a second. Usually the weakest part is the lock, not the cable.

Ironically I’ve had few bikes stolen and all from my home. In fact I have mostly locked them when stored indoors. And even then they were stolen.
I know first hand how quickly these thefts can occur...I just want to try and make it a little more inconvenient for them. Katysax, I'm sorry to hear about your losses. Where the ones stolen from home at least covered by insurance?

I've got the Metro, came with QR front wheel and seat post. I've replaced QR with regular hex pieces and got a Foldylock Compact (https://seatylock.com) lock, just ordered Hexlox (https://hexlox.com) locks for front wheel, seat post and saddle.

The Foldylock is 30" long, will not go around frame, wheel and stanchion most of the time. I lock the frame and use a cable lock for wheel right now, will skip cable. lock when Hexlox get installed. I think it's basically level 4 out of 5 security setup. Use my bike for errands, rec & ex. Longest public lockup only about 2-3. hours. for food/shopping.

View attachment 33815View attachment 33816
I see you've got the fold down carry baskets. How do you like them? Are they suitable size for groceries? What brand did you purchase?

I see you've got the fold down carry baskets. How do you like them? Are they suitable size for groceries? What brand did you purchase?

Those are Wald baskets, I love them. Well, really like them; there were some problems getting them situated on my Metro.

I carry a reusable grocery bag easily in each side, if they're particularly full I have a 15"x15" stretchy cargo net I put overtop to avoid losing something. Two months no problems, easily carry garden tools, 12 pack of beer/boxed wine etc. I love them for running errands.

About the mounting problems. The design of the Metro rack with it's bulgy back support is what gave me problems. I tried geared clamps, no joy. Finally figured out to hang them pretty far back and use 3-4 zip ties to secure them to the rack, letting a bit protrude. Took a few tries of different configs to find what worked for me.IMG_6080.JPGIMG_6081.JPGIMG_6082.JPG

The closing clip also did not work well for me. I use zip ties and snips I carry in repair kit at bottom of baskets to secure them when not in use.

Hello! New here, and just brought my new bike home last week. Need some recommendations for fitting a lock. I'd like a U-lock, but wondering if it will fit with the thicker frame and balloon tires. Maybe 2 locks? Needs to be portable. I park inside for work, so just looking for a lock for short period lock ups - say maximum 1 hour.

Thanks!
Hi.
-I bought pinhead locks for my previous bike. It turns out I can only use one on the Metro+, so i put one on my front wheel.
I also use :
-a long Kryptonite u-lock $125
-a Kryptonite cable. $50
-a disc brake lock for $6. It's actually commonly-used by motorcyclists, but adds security if I'm in a sketchy place. It was recommended to me to attach a tether of some kind to it so I don't forget to remove it. I bought a bright coily plastic one.
- I also use a school lock attached to the chain sprocket.
- besides all this, I have a motion-sensor alarm that I've hidden and jammed under my seat. It won't come out without removing the seat from the post. When someone bumps or moves my bike, it gives a loud warning, another the 2nd time, but a continuous alarm if moved a 3rd time. I'm hoping this will deter a thief.

I don't ever use all of these, but I use at least 2 locks and the alarm everytime.

One of the guys at the bike store agreed with me. A bike thief will take the bike that's easiest to steal. Mine won't be. Lol.

Back