Poor Mans Satiator

The length of charge and the delay of starting the charge is highly variable, I think it would be safe bet that I could plug in my battery set the timer and completely forget about it faster than you get a response from Alexa.
Not so. I've used the kind you're talking about -- said so, even -- and this is more flexible and faster.

If you are using Alexa and it's that slow for you, I'd wonder about your internet connection. Good modems are available inexpensively, and my internet provider recently upgraded us to 100mbps at no extra charge. Worth thinking about.

I'm not letting Alexa, Siri, Google or any other listening (or camera enabled) device in my house!
I have enough spare time to push a button ;)

Because I have multiple ebikes and I'm helping friends with their ebike projects this year, I did pick up the Grin Satiator capable of up to 100V and 5A max to have a universal charger in my home shop. I have only used it thus far when I was working on a friend's DIY 72V setup with him at my place - I consider it a long term investment in a tool.

And yes, it wasn't cheap. Perhaps being locked in at home for 6 months made me spend a little more than I should. ;-)

I did order over the summer some batteries from EM3EV. Thus far they are working out awesome for me. I went to their website to find the option for just the charger to link here to share, but for the life of me I cannot find it. I apologize, only way I can show the charger is a link to one of their batteries and it's an option you can choose with each battery:

I ended up with multiple 4A 90%/100% units for my collection of batteries. A simple switch from 'Lo' to 'Hi' changes from the 90% charge to 100% charge value. Checking the BMS and with a volt meter I have been happy to see multiple chargers finish out within 0.1V of each other both on the 90% and 100% charge settings. This is important for any plans I have to parallel connect batteries in my projects.

Quick final note - EM3EV will ship the charger with the connector of your choice.

At $80-100 Cdn for each charger that had the cut off options of 90 and 100, along with the connector that matched up to the batteries I was purchasing, made this an easy choice for me.

I'm a big fan of Cyklefanatic's efforts and posts...just wanted to add some experience in a similar theme to this thread.

Cheers

Not so. I've used the kind you're talking about -- said so, even -- and this is more flexible and faster.

If you are using Alexa and it's that slow for you, I'd wonder about your internet connection. Good modems are available inexpensively, and my internet provider recently upgraded us to 100mbps at no extra charge. Worth thinking about.
My point is that I spend less than 10 seconds start to finish. In the time you take to talk to Alexa to tell her when to turn on and when to turn off I am already done. Nothing to do with internet speed, just the speed of simplicity.

My point is that I spend less than 10 seconds start to finish. In the time you take to talk to Alexa to tell her when to turn on and when to turn off I am already done. Nothing to do with internet speed, just the speed of simplicity.
"Alexa, recharge Scorpion." Less than two seconds. It runs a routine I've already set up to turn the smart outlet on for a specified period of time.

Even if I use the app instead of Alexa, because maybe I don't want it to start right now, it only takes 8 seconds. I just timed it.

For some reason, you made this claim, and now you want to make it true, even though it demonstrably isn't. Tell you what: You can have the last word. I won't reply any more.

"Alexa, recharge Scorpion." Less than two seconds. It runs a routine I've already set up to turn the smart outlet on for a specified period of time.

Even if I use the app instead of Alexa, because maybe I don't want it to start right now, it only takes 8 seconds. I just timed it.

For some reason, you made this claim, and now you want to make it true, even though it demonstrably isn't. Tell you what: You can have the last word. I won't reply any more.
What your missing is that you need to run a different routine every time, how long does it take to setup a new routine and load it. For me 10 seconds for a custom routine adjusting delay and length of charge.

I still have you both beat!!
I set the solar charge controller to my 80% once and now when I charge it stops at 50.5V every time no matter what voltage I started from!!!
🎶 Na_na_na_na_na 🎶 🙃

So looking back at my original idea I was after some way of extending my battery life without spending a lot of money. Others have come up with other ways of achieving the same thing. Good for you. To everybody else it shows that it can be done.

I still have a handful of these... s-l400.jpg

Back