Police Harassment

If you go climb mountains in Pakistan, Nepal, India, or China. Because if you didn't fork over for rescue insurance you are on your own.

Some decades ago I was involved in a mountaineering accident in Alaska and all of our party were billed for the rescue. It certainly didn't cover all of the costs and I happily paid my share.

I'm not sure we are discussing Pakistan, Nepal, India or China. If we are, I will bow out as what they do has nothing to do with me.

Consider a helmet that multitasks like the Sena X1. It adds convenience to the safety factor of wearing a helmet. It connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth so you can make calls and listen to music. The built in speakers don't obstruct your ears and produce amazingly clear sound. You can also converse up to a quarter mile with 3 other people via it's intercom feature.

I'm not sure we are discussing Pakistan, Nepal, India or China. If we are, I will bow out as what they do has nothing to do with me.

It isn't clear at all to me exactly wtf we are discussing here, and I certainly haven't seen any rules about what is and is not relevant.

Okay, though. Closer to home. In nearly all of Europe if you are out hiking or climbing and need a rescue you need to have rescue insurance or you are left to die. In practice rescue insurance is very inexpensive and most outdoor club memberships (of which many people are members) include rescue insurance as a membership benefit. So kind of like AAA for your feet.

I think they are provoking you and trying to make some money from the people that aren't too familiar with the law. Of course, you can write a complaint if you remember any of their names, or if you don't feel confident enough, some platforms may help you.

you need to have rescue insurance or you are left to die.
Wow! That's like having emergency response systems, like OnStar, in your vehicle. If you get in an accident and don't subscribe, they won't help you. It doesn't matter that you paid for the equipment when you bought the car. To me, this is like charging someone to use a seat belt.

I understand that it costs money and puts others at risk to rescue someone but does it cost less to recover the body? Do they just let the corpse rot?

Last edited:
Wow! That's like having emergency response systems, like OnStar, in your vehicle. If you get in an accident and don't subscribe, they won't help you. It doesn't matter that you paid for the equipment when you bought the car. To me, this is like charging someone to use a seat belt.

I understand that it costs money and puts others at risk to rescue someone but does it cost less to recover the body? Do they just let the corpse rot?
I think Onstar is a little different in that it is run by a private company and has costs to operate beyond the initial hardware in the vehicle. That said a relay of gps coordinates to the local authorities when airbags are deployed would be the human thing to do.

In some cases they just leave the carcass to rot. If it is judged too dangerous to recover the body they won't do it. Actually, that happens in the states in some surprising places. In places where the corpse is safely accessible usually the local police run the body recovery.

At least in France and Switzerland, rescue operations are usually ran by semi-NGO operations (kind of akin to volunteer fire departments here, but with much better gear and training) and are mostly funded by those rescue insurance fees.

Note that in Nepal, there isn't really any rescue insurance system. So you'll have to post a bond (usually on the order of $50,000) before the helicopter will even take off and come get you. So if you travel there (or anyplace similar) make sure to invest in good travel insurance that will pay for that kind of stuff and knows how to do it. You don't want to have a fractured femur on the Tibetan frontier and have to argue with some idiots in New York City via satellite phone about how to get it all set up.

Wow! That's like having emergency response systems, like OnStar, in your vehicle. If you get in an accident and don't subscribe, they won't help you. It doesn't matter that you paid for the equipment...
I know! Like when I bought my new cellphone-- I paid cash and they still hit me with a monthly fee! Don't they know how things work???

TT

Back