Police Ebikes

Lots of info about police ebikes on the internet. Some seem to be roughly Class 3, some more powerful. The ones I saw look pretty heavy.

Bosch and Bulls teamed up to provide a whole fleet to the LAPD.

The company that makes Recon also builds ebikes for law enforcement.

Last edited:
Lots of info about police ebikes on the internet. Some seem to be roughly Class 3, some more powerful. The ones I saw look pretty heavy.

Bosch and Bulls teamed up to provide a whole fleet to the LAPD.

The company that makes Recon also builds ebikes for law enforcement.

Whoa!

Of course, I have mixed feelings about this. I do not, particularly, want to run into an officer if I'm riding a bike whose legality might be... shall we say, ambiguous for the particular trail that I am on. I'm not saying that would happen, of course, just hypothetically.

OTOH, if I were pulled over, I'd rather be stopped by an officer who knew bikes... and understood that if I had strayed onto the wrong side of the law, it was only by a very small margin. And I love the idea of some trails being patrolled to catch reckless riders, muggers, bike thieves, violent homeless folks or EDPs, etc.

Jeremy, the Sentinel actually is pretty light-- supposedly, 48 lbs and Class 3! That's pretty much the same weight as Seeker was stock, but faster. And if that weight includes pedals and the rear rack, that's kind of an SL. Check out the specs... and now that I have, I'm guessing I won't see these on the trail. Not with those tires.

Whoa!

Of course, I have mixed feelings about this. I do not, particularly, want to run into an officer if I'm riding a bike whose legality might be... shall we say, ambiguous for the particular trail that I am on. I'm not saying that would happen, of course, just hypothetically.

OTOH, if I were pulled over, I'd rather be stopped by an officer who knew bikes... and understood that if I had strayed onto the wrong side of the law, it was only by a very small margin. And I love the idea of some trails being patrolled to catch reckless riders, muggers, bike thieves, violent homeless folks or EDPs, etc.

Jeremy, the Sentinel actually is pretty light-- supposedly, 48 lbs and Class 3! That's pretty much the same weight as Seeker was stock, but faster. And if that weight includes pedals and the rear rack, that's kind of an SL. Check out the specs... and now that I have, I'm guessing I won't see these on the trail. Not with those tires.

These cops are largely patrolling urban areas I think.

Does anyone know if police ebikes are souped up. How fast are they. Just wondering..Thanks
I've seen these:

Screenshot (55).jpg

They don't have to be souped up. The rider they are chasing is usually laughing too hard to pedal very fast. 😄

Our police had Pedego ebikes for awhile and last I saw they had a fleet of Specialized ebikes. I don't mind one bit of them slipping silently in our 'hood. I actually raced one of them on my E-Lux Malibu GT and left him behind. That E-Lux was crazy fast and they were impressed by its speed. This was when they had the Pedegos. I bet I'd loose to the Specialized ebikes, plus I no longer own the E-Lux.

Back