Plz help, which BIKE fits flykly 28"????

Leila gray

Hello, I have asked flykly that question and they ignore me! I bought the 28 inch wheel motor thing a year ago now and I've tried three bicycles by the mail, All Schwinn, all 28 inch 700 CC, and one time because of the derailleur that scraped on the motor and wouldn't let it turn that didn't work, and another time the metal little thing on the bike that goes around the wheel part was too small. So I'm very disappointed with fly kly for making it sound like it's so easy to find the bicycle that it's motor will fit on. Please if any of you have the 28-inch flyk ly please tell me which bicycle you have. I simply need to know one bicycle that this thing will fit for sure so I can buy it online. I'm not near any bicycle shops I live in a small town and I am disabled I can't travel. Thank you so so so very much for your help, I finally want to be able to use my motor! I live in an area with tons of Hills that I always have to walk up

Hi @Leila gray, most bikes with wheels that are 28" are fairly narrow 700C wheels. Schwinn used this size in very early road bikes and it is still in use in some European touring bikes. The scenario with the derailleur scraping the motor is common with hub motor systems and can require a thin spacer (a big washer) on the axle of the motor to prevent that issue. The scraping can also happen with a slightly bent derailleur that needs some realignment or replacement. Occasionally, the derailleur hanger gets bent from one to many tumps of the bike or accidents. Those usually need a replacement of the hanger. You would most likely still need a spacer.

Now, if you were trying to convert a much older Schwinn 28" wheel bike, you may have issues with the spacing for the rear axle being a bit too narrow to accommodate the Flykly motor. This is not a failure of the Flykly system, just that you need a bike that has the minimum axle width for the motor. On the Flykly.com website the specs for the motor wheel require a minimum of 120mm between the rear dropouts (that's about standard for most hub motor systems). If you try to put the motor into a much older bike that doesn't have that much space at the dropouts (that's where the rear wheel slides into the back of the bike and is locked down) then you can have rubbing. It might be possible to spread the rear stays a bit with the help of a bike shop that has the tools; however, this can be risky and doesn't work if you need to spread those stays more than a few millimeters.

I can empathize with the hills issue, Leila; nothing in our Austin TX area is really flat :rolleyes:. There's bound to be a mechanically minded person in your town that can help you, whether you have a bike shop or not; please share this info with them and let's see if we can get your bike going. Hope that you've been keeping the battery in the motor charged; that's important whether you're riding or not.

@Ann M. since Leila's drive is at least a year old, wouldn't it's specs be from 2015? Which I believe is when Court's review, spec list is from.

Back