Please help me buy an e-bike!

BikingAl

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks trying to get info on my "dream" electric bike. I'm just struggling to pull the trigger and buy.

I must admit that I fell in love with everything I've seen about the Stromer ST2 but alas it's not available for sometime here in the USA. (I'm in Virginia)

What I want: More of a road bike. The biggie for me is being able to go with pedal assist over 50 miles on a single charge. Would love also to be able to get 25+ mph. Please help me decide. I really want the bike within the next month.

Thanks and a big hello from me! (Alan)

Have fun!

What you need to do is start shopping in person and demo riding a bunch of eBikes. You will be stuck with your Ebike for a while, unless you can take a 40% hit, so make sure it is the one you really like.

No matter what the rest of us think, buying an Ebike is based on a lot of personal preferences, your budget, and your location. Do you prefer and upright riding position, leaning forward, cruiser? Mid drive or Hub motor?

There are plenty of bikes that will take you 50 miles, or close to it.. And they can also exceed 25 mph.. Just not at the same time, so don't make that the criteria.. Most bikes have swappable batteries, so if you really want 50 mile range at 25 mph, just buy an extra battery later.

See Court's list of 28 mph Ebike reviews here: http://electricbikereview.com/tag/speed/

If it were me I'd find all the ebike dealers within a 2 hour drive of my home and see what they have to offer.. I would avoid any bikes with the battery hanging out the back.. it really compromises the handling....Then compare those to Court's review.. Then takes some rides!

Last edited:
It sounds like you want a speed pedelec road bike. Some recommendations include:
Others that don't come to mind right now but other members will give chime in. Mileage is not a given for any bike. Many factors include use of assist, your weight, and proper gearing. The bikes that give the most efficient range are typically a mid-drive system such as Kahlkoff's Impulse 2 or Bosch's Gen 2 mid-drive.

If you are price sensitive I have a 30-day old Easy Motion Neo Carbon with upgrades for sale. My fail safe range in all conditions is 30 miles and a geared rear hub gives great kick off the line.

Best advice is to visit as many e-bike dealers as you can and go for many rides. Shopping is part of the fun.

Hi Alan, and welcome! I'm shopping as well, and finally took my first eBike ride yesterday...I'm so stoked! The Stromer St1 Elite will always have a place in my heart as my first eBike ride. :) I wasn't shopping for one, but the dealer I visited only carries a few bikes.

Unfortunately, eBike dealers aren't yet plentiful. Since you are in Virginia, you are fortunate to have HybridPedals in Arlington. Talk about a multi-line shop...they sell all the big brands, according to their website. There are also some reputable shops in Philly. Some of the bigger names in manufacturing and the retail side are members here, and you should keep bumping your thread to keep it active. Everyone is at Interbike right now, so it's a quiet week on the eBike retail front.

One piece of advice I have for you is to search Google (and keep an eye out on this forum) for ebike exclusive dealerships or stores. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted in goose chases after shops listed as "authorized dealers" by certain bike mfrs. Some of the retail bicycle chains (like "roll") carry eBikes, but I still think us new guys are better off with dedicated eBike salespeople to hold our hands.

Another point: it's cost-prohibitive to offer lots of frame sizes until eBikes truly explode in the States. So if your size is anything other than average, make that a priority. It sucks to spend time researching a bike or bikes that seem right for you, only to discover that the bike doesn't come in your size. Hopefully a conscientious salesperson will make sure you are comfortable. The eBike experience is new and interesting; the Stromer fit me well, so the "bike" aspect fell to the background and I concentrated on the "electric" operation and characteristics.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the "baby pics". :D

Thank you so much for this awesome information. It's all very helpful. I've spent the day reviewing different bikes online and watching many videos. I've come to the conclusion that the "Easy Motion Cross" will be a very good first ebike for me. It comes with the upgraded 12ah battery for longer range.

I've found a dealer a couple of hours away in VA Beach that has been very helpful over the phone so far. I will update if I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for now!
Alan.

Thank you so much for this awesome information. It's all very helpful. I've spent the day reviewing different bikes online and watching many videos. I've come to the conclusion that the "Easy Motion Cross" will be a very good first ebike for me. It comes with the upgraded 12ah battery for longer range.

I've found a dealer a couple of hours away in VA Beach that has been very helpful over the phone so far. I will update if I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for now!
Alan.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm............perhaps you should wait a few weeks and consider the Nitro Cross. Same bike but with bigger motor and 48V battery.

Super advice. I may just do that. Would you happen to have a link to this bike? Reading the specs of the nitro, I'm just seeing a bigger motor and higher cost. Would that be about right. I think I may prefer more range than faster bike. Any thoughts?

You can't make the bike faster but you can buy more batteries for distance. I have an ST1, take 2 spares on most trips....because I can. I now can run at top speed for 60+ miles, more on flats...I weigh 210 your mileage may be better

Mark

You can't make the bike faster but you can buy more batteries for distance. I have an ST1, take 2 spares on most trips....because I can. I now can run at top speed for 60+ miles, more on flats...I weigh 210 your mileage may be better

Mark
How do you carry the spares Mark?
Oh, I'm 6.1' and 180lbs. And pretty fit.

Last edited:
Ortleib classic roller bags ( panniers ) on the City Kit which is their rack from Stromer...and I am 58 not fit but not a complete blob lol. I can get over 30 more like 35 on eco per battery , more on flats. longest I have gone on 1 trip was 88 or so and felt like crap the next day :)

On my old original Stromers we went to FL for vacation and rode, much better mileage than local. I think we were above 30 there and 20+ here using the purple batteries . I currently have 4 old purples and 4 new golds for 2 bikes , the purples cant handle top power and hills under w/less than 30-40%, voltage sag and cut out. On a flat and a good pace they still work but they are as a old as 2010 and heavily used

Mark

batteries have met or exceeded my expectations on the Stromers, a hard feat

Thanks again everyone for the help! I was going to pre-order the upcoming Easy Motion Neo Nitro cross but ultimately went for the ST1 Platinum. Looking forward to getting it next week! (went for the city kit and extra 14amp battery).

Back