Picking an eBike: Gazelle Vs. Specialized

WillHall46

Region
USA
Hi everyone, I want to thank you all for sharing so much helpful information. I'm new to this website, but I've been reading a lot of reviews and advice on here already. I'm in the market for an eBike and could use some help in picking what might work best for me. I started a new job last summer that is less than ten miles from my house and so I'm hoping to use an eBike to commute a few days a week once the weather warms up here in Connecticut. I started my search last fall and narrowed down my options to the Gazelle 10+ (either the Medeo or Ultimate models) or the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 (or possibly 5.0). I originally considered the Trek Verve or FX+ but didn't love the ride when testing them out. My price range is around $3,000 to 3,500, but I'm willing to spend a little more for a solid, higher quality product.

I've read some really great things about Gazelle as a brand and the bike shop I'd like to use (best customer service of all the local shops I've visited) carries the brand and would be able to service the bike should I run into any issues. I like the look of the 10+ models and while I was only able to test ride the T9 when I visited the shop, I did really like the feel of the bike.

The Specialized Vado SL 4.0 EQ is at a different bike shop in CT that isn't very close to where I live, but it's around the same price ($3750--including Turbo Connect screen) and would include a better screen and access to the iPhone app (not my most important feature but a nice add). It is also lighter weight if I had to carry it. I also looked at the 5.0 version, but that's likely out of my price range right now. Doing some research online I've found Specialized bikes to be highly rated, but I was also warned that Specialized is moving away from doing business with local shops and I want to be able to get help locally if I need it. Between the two bikes this felt like I'd be getting a little more 'bang for the buck' with the Vado, but that could be just my perception and not actually the case.

I'd also like to use the eBike for weekend bike rides (mostly roads but maybe one or two trails as well... something I can't really do with my road bike). I want the bike to have a regular bike feel (and look) to it as much as possible and be able to use it without any assist for at least part of the rides. Both brands seem like they would be good choices, but for this amount of money I want to make sure I'm really getting the best fit. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

My wife and I like our C380s, basically the same geometry as an Ultimate. I liked better than Specialized we tried. If you like the feel of both, I'd go with dealer choice.

Last edited:
I have never owned or ridden a Gazelle, so I don't have much to contribute on that particular ebike. I have owned Specialized, Giant, and Trek ebikes. Last year, I sold my Vado SL 4.0 and traded to the Vado 4.0 (full power) and have never regretted it. Yes, it is heavier than the SL, but when you are riding it, you can't really feel the heavier weight. What is quite evident though, is the additional 35 nm of torque from the 2.0 motor. This motor is powerful, and for me, the extra $250 for the Vado 4 is worth the price. I hope this helps. Also, with almost 4,000 miles split between the two bikes, not one problem.

For me, riding on washboard roads, the lack of front suspension was a key factor for not choosing the Turbo Vado sl.

The major differences here are the e-bike weight and the motor power. Vado SL is especially good for healthy cyclists who only need low to moderate assistance. Also, the low weight of Vado SL is compelling.

I would not cry over the lack of suspension with Vado SL 4.0 SL. I added Redshift ShockStop stem and seat post to mine, making it an extremely comfortable ride for me.

Do you find that those seat and seat post mods help your elbows too? Relief from elbow soreness after a bouncy ride, is the reason I'm focusing on front suspension. I guess a more upright position could help take weight off the hands and arms, but that would require a mindset mod. ;-)

How would you rate the suspension stem versus front shocks for absorbing bumps and vibrations?
That depends on riding surface (size of bumps, potholes etc.) and suspension fork quality, in my experience.

I have a Redshift stem on my gravel conversion, cheap coil front suspension on the Haibike hardtail I use for road rides, and high end air suspension on my eMTB for "technical" trails.

When riding the gravel bike on mildly rough surfaces (not MTB trails), the suspension stem is enough to reduce the neck, hand and arm discomfort I got before installing it. I tried the gravel with the new stem on some rooty trails, however, and found it to be miserably inadequate - not much better than a regular stem.

My hardtail's coil fork handles bumpier roads and light trails well (and is easier on my upper body), but also sucked wind on hardcore MTB trails. Bottom line: I think that using expensive forks on bikes that won't see much more than light trail use is a waste of money...

Thank you for the replies! I'm hoping to test ride the Vado SL bikes this weekend. The shop just confirmed they have the 4.0 and 5.0 in stock. The 5.0 is a little out of my price range at the moment, but based on your comments do you think is it worth considering the extra money for the upgraded features of the 5.0? I'm not planning on taking the bike off road very often, but some of the roads in town are a little bumpy so I want to be comfortable when riding.

The pricing of the Specialized 4.0 at the shop I'm going to visit this weekend is actually a little less than what Gazelle Medeo T10+ is going for at a different shop in CT. (Neither shop sells both brands). I keep going back to the quality of the build/parts and curious whether anyone here has experience with both bike brands and can share experiences that might sway me one way or the other. Thanks again for the comments and advice!

Thank you for the replies! I'm hoping to test ride the Vado SL bikes this weekend. The shop just confirmed they have the 4.0 and 5.0 in stock. The 5.0 is a little out of my price range at the moment, but based on your comments do you think is it worth considering the extra money for the upgraded features of the 5.0? I'm not planning on taking the bike off road very often, but some of the roads in town are a little bumpy so I want to be comfortable when riding.
I made an aware choice of Vado SL 4 because I knew I would spend the price difference to 5.0 for the front/rear suspension I wanted (Redshift ShockStop) and for a Range Extender. If you have money to burn, the SL 5.0 is a good choice, especially as it is already equipped with the FutureShock front suspension and a carbon fork, and the componentry is better there.

I have a Gazelle T-10+ Ultimate and love the bike!! I changed the pedals, and added a Suntour seat suspension and I find it has all I want or would need. Excellent components, strong hydraulic disc brakes and great build quality. I also added the Gazelle Paniers with the MIK rack lock system, another wonderful pairing!! Specialized seems to have more dealers nationwide, but personally I did not like their bikes as well. Your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• 47CE1D3E-F604-4430-8408-7BCFEA5B06E7.jpeg
    47CE1D3E-F604-4430-8408-7BCFEA5B06E7.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 389
  • DB7667ED-A8F2-474B-B029-F89132515537.jpeg
    DB7667ED-A8F2-474B-B029-F89132515537.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 6681AE1F-5D85-484E-B071-5C3C24D434C2.jpeg
    6681AE1F-5D85-484E-B071-5C3C24D434C2.jpeg
    918.3 KB · Views: 390
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the front suspension on my Como 3.0. I bought a new low step to replace my 2018 Como 2.0 due to arthritis and ease of mounting and dismounting. I can't find anywhere online more details about the front suspension as to best setting and how it works. We took the front tire off to get the Como 3.0 home. Would that mean I need to reset anything on the it? Thanks.

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the front suspension on my Como 3.0. I bought a new low step to replace my 2018 Como 2.0 due to arthritis and ease of mounting and dismounting. I can't find anywhere online more details about the front suspension as to best setting and how it works. We took the front tire off to get the Como 3.0 home. Would that mean I need to reset anything on the it? Thanks.
Como 3.0 has the Suntour Mobie A32, a steel coil suspension fork with damping. It hardly requires any setup. In case you are a lightweight rider, just turn the knob on the left fork leg anti-clockwise. If you are a heavy person, turn the knob clockwise. That's it. (Make sure the knob on the right fork leg is all way counter-clockwise!)

It is so simple there are even no instructions published!

Last edited:
I upgraded from a Vado 4 to a 380+ and still very happy with the Gazelle after 2000 miles. I wrote up a detailed comparison last year https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/specialized-vado-4-vs-gazelle-ultimate-380-long.49738/
Hi Newts, I just today sold my Vado 5.0 because I found the riding position too forward for and that set up neck and back aches. I am eyeing a couple of class 3 Gazelles. The 389+ is described as having the "sportive" posture-their most forward, while the Eclipse is "active" (between the sportive and their most upright "easy" line). So, I would love to hear how you experience the 380+riding position vs the Vado. Thank you!

Last edited:
The Gazelle might be a little more upright than the Vado 4 as I recall but not a full upright. For me it is about perfect. And there is always a little adjustment with the saddle position and stem height to play with. For every day commuting at 10-20 MPH it is a little out of the wind than full upright but sometimes against the wind I lean a bit more forward.

BTW I just passed 4k miles this week. I tightened the belt once at the beginning and a minor tweak last year but otherwise no maintenance. I ride 10 mile round trip daily commute in Turbo mode about 20-25 MPH mostly flat with weekend rail trail trips in ECO or off mode. Still love it. I removed the cafe brake as the only read mod besides the usual panniers and light accessories. For signs of wear I noticed a little rust on some fender hardware and there is also some cracks on part of the battery pack where it fits into the frame. I used to have trouble getting the pack in (not as bad as the Vado but close) but I think the cracks made it easier now and I don't think they are any problem.

Thanks for the feedback! Why did you remove the cafe lock? Does it get in the way? Congrats on reaching the 4000 mark!

thanks! I think it is really dumb to have to leave the key in while riding. For work and most rides I don't need to lock it and when I go downtown I don't leave it out of my sight for more than a few minutes with a simple cable lock.

Back