Picking a road/touring bike for someone short

eieileen

Hi all, I'm struggling to find a road or touring ebike that meets my requirements. I'm 5'4'' with a ~72 cm inseam. I currently ride a Trek 7.2 FX WSD Hybrid Mid step in the 13 inch frame size with a 66.6 cm standover height. I'm finding that many companies seem to cater to taller people for the road bikes. I've looked into step throughs, mid steps, and touring bikes, and I'm concerned that these bikes seem to tend to be heavier. Complicating matters further is that nothing in my area seems to be in stock for these bikes, so actually testing out different models has proved difficult. I'm hoping to go in and try something soon, even if it is not exactly what I end up buying.

So far, I'm considering the following, but have some concerns:

- Yamaha Wabash (lowest standover height is 719mm)
- Liv Thrive E+ (heavy at 49lbs, no standover heights on Liv's website)
- Cannondale Synapse Neo SE (lowest standover height at 73 cm)
- Specialized Creo SL Comp Carbon (more expensive than I'd like to spend)

My main goal is to do mostly road cycling with occasional gravel trails here and there. I want something that will help me keep up with my husband, who is likely to get a Synapse Neo SE at the same time.

Hoping to spend in the $3-5k range. I'm looking for any thoughts about the above bikes or any additional suggestions of bikes I might be missing. Thanks!

I'd say go look at the Yamahas in person. All their fitness and road models use basically the same frame and 700c wheels, so even if it isn't a Wabash it should give you some idea of the fit. Their frames are much smaller than advertised. For reference, I'm 5'6" with about a 76cm inseam. I thought I would fit a size small Wabash but when I saw the bikes I realized size small is closer to 47 or 48. I ended up with a medium Civante, which is advertised as a size 55. I find it fits very close to my size 51 Cannondale CaadX, except the Yamaha actually has a lower, sloping top tube.

I doubt the advertised standover height is accurate. But even if it is, the bike will fit much smaller than a 53.

Also, I'm not sure how close he is to you, but @Deleted Member 4210 was extremely helpful and patient when I had lots of questions about Yamaha's bikes and finding the right one. He also has other brands and models, definitely worth the trip!

Hi all, I'm struggling to find a road or touring ebike that meets my requirements. I'm 5'4'' with a ~72 cm inseam. I currently ride a Trek 7.2 FX WSD Hybrid Mid step in the 13 inch frame size with a 66.6 cm standover height. I'm finding that many companies seem to cater to taller people for the road bikes. I've looked into step throughs, mid steps, and touring bikes, and I'm concerned that these bikes seem to tend to be heavier. Complicating matters further is that nothing in my area seems to be in stock for these bikes, so actually testing out different models has proved difficult. I'm hoping to go in and try something soon, even if it is not exactly what I end up buying.

My main goal is to do mostly road cycling with occasional gravel trails here and there. I want something that will help me keep up with my husband, who is likely to get a Synapse Neo SE at the same time.

Hoping to spend in the $3-5k range. I'm looking for any thoughts about the above bikes or any additional suggestions of bikes I might be missing. Thanks!

We’re the same height and my inseam is just slightly longer than yours. I ride an Urban Rush in small and it’s perfect for me. Good reach and comfortable space between the top tube and my junk. I didn’t realize the Wabash has a slightly shorter standover height. That might be perfect for you.

Hi. I’m 5‘4” also, and have ridden the Giant Pro e+1 (small) for almost two years. Due to health issues my hoped-for touring hasn’t materialized yet, but the day is coming. I’ve a rack on the back and still ride the 32mm tubeless tires that came with the bike (3,800 miles). I’m very stiff, and got a set-up in which the handlebars are higher than the seat. The drag isn’t that bad, but with the motor to help, who cares? I also bought an additional battery so I could do full tour days (60-100 mi) at a good clip without waiting at a restaurant To “fill up”. The frame is too small for a water cage/bottle (I’ve tried all locations—behind the seat doesn’t work because of my lack of flexibility for mounting and dismounting), so I use a backpack water bladder without problem. I love the smooth take-up in the motor. To complete my touring kit I’ll need a set of fenders. I’ve been concerned with vehicles clipping me from the year, so I bought a “Take my Lane” mount and flag, and get the space I need from drivers. The bike rides and corners smoothly; I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

Back