Picked Aventon Level over R1UP, Rad City, and Raleigh

ou812

Hey folks,
I just put in an order for Aventon Level Commuter.
Did I make the better choice over others? Pls lmk what you think?

Here is what I looked for -

1. Price $1600 is really the top end of my budget
2. Mudguards are sturdy and have good coverage over the tires (R1UP are shorter)
3. Comfortable saddle and minimal lean forward position (not totally cruise, but not full out lean forward either)
4. Centrally placed large display and ergonomic controls (this was a big factor against R1UP for me).
5. I agonized over the throttle yes/no at stop. Ultimately convinced myself that it is not a big deal and bought into Aventon's perspective of safety measure. Though, I also plan to do quite a bit of city riding (I am in Bay Area) and hope will not regret it.
6. Raleigh aside, looks like Aventon is the big dog (company size) compared to Rad and R1UP. So that added little bit to my confidence level going in with Aventon.

Thx.

Last edited:
Given the Aventon Level and Ride1Up 700 are the same bike with minor differences in spec: in comparison between the two:
- Aventon bikes are sold through bike shops so you can take a test ride before purchase and get in-person after sales support,
- with the Aventon you get a choice of 3 frame sizes vs 1 with the R1U,
- but if you want a step-through frame you need the R1U because Aventon only sell the standard diamond frame version.

RadPower sell more ebikes than Aventon, a recent NY Times article claims Rad are the largest seller of ebikes in the US. Aventon are I understand a long established Spanish brand that started offering ebikes in the past couple of years in line with trends among other pedal bicycle brands. Raleigh Electric is a division of the European company Accell Group that in 2019 closed its Simi Valley, CA, office and signed an agreement with a private equity company Regent to distribute Raleigh ebikes in the US until 2021, presumably the current extraordinary supply/demand issues will affect a decision next year whether to renew the deal. Ride1Up are a relatively new brand of a type of company I've read others on the EBR forum describe as a "drop-shipper" rebranding white Label bikes from China which is why Aventon and R1U are offering the same model.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

2. Mudguards are sturdy and have good coverage over the tires (R1UP are shorter)
3. Comfortable saddle and minimal lean forward position (not totally cruise, but not full out lean forward either)
4. Centrally placed large display and ergonomic controls (this was a big factor against R1UP for me).
5. I agonized over the throttle yes/no at stop. Ultimately convinced myself that it is not a big deal and bought into Aventon's perspective of safety measure. Though, I also plan to do quite a bit of city riding (I am in Bay Area) and hope will not regret it.
6. Raleigh aside, looks like Aventon is the big dog (company size) compared to Rad and R1UP. So that added little bit to my confidence level going in with Aventon.

Thx.

You also may have considered the Espin Sport or Flow. Very similar components including same battery, and about 400 less. The display on the Aventon looks to be the same display that the Lectric XP uses. For 1600 I would want at least a bigger color display...

Hey folks,

Thx.

Ou812,
Congrats on your new ebike! I’m sure you will love it. The Aventon gets great reviews and good reports from owners. Many wonderful miles to you and please post your adventures.

Hey folks,

Thx.
I looked at the level but got the 700 series. They're similar. I like the display with the PAS adjustment within thumbs reach. I put my cell phone holder in the center area. Enjoy

It should be noted that Aventon are not a Spanish brand/company.
You’re right, I was thinking about BH Bikes who have withdrawn their Easymotion ebike brand from the US market

Last edited:
It should be noted that Aventon are not a Spanish brand/company. They are US based created by two guys (1 may have Latino roots) that initially started making single speed and fixie bikes.
The name Aventon in Spanish means push

The Level does indeed have a step through
I speak Spanish. Aventon means a ride or a lift as can you give me a lift to get to X place. I think what you translated would be empujón instead of aventón.

Back