Perception from other cyclists when on a moped style ebike?

My first bike was a Raleigh chopper , it had pretty much everything that people object to with these " mopeds" . Evil ergonomics , a seat from a 70's sitcom , overweight steel frame that snapped with alarming regularity, it even had an internal geared hub so would almost pass as an ebike now.

I wanted a bmx . Actually, I REALY wanted a motorbike and my parents are going to regret that when we choose their nursing home.....

Anyway, there WAS a point - that bike was pedaled for hours every day for months. Worst bike I've owned, but that didn't stop being a bike just because some misfit in the bike factory had a brain fart in public .

I still cringe thinking about the social implications of riding the thing.....and REALY struggle to understand why anyone would voluntarily buy one of these moped like monstrosities. But so long as you're not crashing into little kids or wearing lycra - who am I to judge?

It has pedals…

1669448683477.jpeg

1A7BC121-7CF6-4899-B63E-E48C7A8B6B67.jpeg
7AA1AFD6-6C9F-4298-A89E-AE2DD3BE7A13.jpeg

At least the stealth was designed by mtb riders with the intention of being pedaled. They even went to the trouble of designing / building a gearbox at the crank - a robust alternative to the flimsy junk we have hanging off our rear end. Not my idea of a fun bike to ride, but it probably pedals as well as the average down hill mtb, eg:

8168BB83-877F-43CC-976E-6D027E4BC7CA.jpeg

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and input. To summarize a few trends:
1. There are mixed perceptions on moped style ebikes
2. Many moped style ebikes are allowed on paths/bike lanes. It doesn't matter what the bike looks like, there are other factors. Some research I did said certain levels and classes may not be allowed on MUPs, but those rules are based on local laws for the most part.
3. If you ride like an idiot, it doesn't matter what style ebike (or bike) you have, you will be perceived poorly, so be careful and take extra precautions.

I ended up getting a more traditional style ebike, an Aventon Level 2 that has much longer battery life than my old one, and goes much faster - so the excitement requirement has been met. It can also hold 55 pounds on the rear rack which is fine for what I need and can use panniers and baskets. My main reason for not going moped style wasn't around the look, but that the maintenance on an Ariel or HyperScorpion to even just replace a tube in the rear tire looked beyond what I wanted to deal with while on a trail. Additionally, none of the local bike shops around me would agree to service them. I bought the Aventon from a local dealer who will service it, and fixing a flat is pretty much just like a normal bike. My second reason for going more traditional was transporting the bike and weight. I have a hitch bike rack rated at 80 pounds so any bike under that with a cross bar will be okay on it. Lastly, in the end I did end up feeling like it would stand out too much for what I wanted, there just aren't many moped style ebikes on the urban paths I use.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others as well.

Back