Pedego post Hurricane Ian

Zamazing

Region
USA
Hi, new member here. My wife and I own 3 Pedego bikes. Two Pedego Interceptors were in the garage during Hurricane Ian and were partially submerged (rear hub motor and pedal sensor under water, but battery, controller, and display above). Both hub motors are completely shot and need to be replaced. Pedego suggests replacing the bikes entirely and does not want to supply replacement motors so I need to figure it out myself. Here is some pertinent info:
- motor part number M155 (appears to be manufactured by Dapumotors (Dapu Motors Website)
- 26” diameter
- 2.35” tire width
- drop out width: 14cm (5 1/2”)

Can I just replace the hub motor or do I need to get a complete kit? Ideally, would like to get a replacement motor already installed in a 26” rim. Any suggestions would be appreciated….

Last edited:
If you can find a motor with a compatible connector, geared hubs are all about the same technologically. 140 mm dropout is pretty standard for rear motors. Different wattage motors are different, resistance differs. You can use a lower wattage motor but overloading it frequently may burn the winding.
Power wheels (name of motor in a wheel) are easy, but if you can find the same spoke hole diameter around the motor you can relace it. Or if the spoke hole diameter is different you can buy new spokes of a different length. I like DT swiss spokes, myself.

If you're handy with tools, before doing anything else, I would first try disassembling the motors and see if they can be salvaged. Parts for these motors are available but if Pedego won't supply them, it could require some serious searching. If they were immersed in salt water for any length of time however, this is probably a waste of time.

If you do try an aftermarket motor, in addition to the electrical characteristics, be sure it is compatible with the bike's cassette & drivetrain. Most are standard these days but not all.

Another possibility is to look for used parts bikes. Many Pedego models use the same hub motor. Pedego tech support should be able to help determine compatibility. This would be more expensive than replacing a motor or using a conversion kit but it would be considerably cheaper than buying new.

Welcome to the forum and good Luck with your repair project.

I'm pretty confident that both motors are shot since they both lock up when trying to roll the bikes backwards (ie, bike can be rolled forward, but locks up when rolled backward). I checked the connector and it looks like the standard 9-pin waterproof connector that I’ve seen on Bafang and other motors. The cassette is a basic Shimano HG 7-speed so nothing appears special there.

It would prefer not to have to reuse my spokes and rim and just replace the power wheel altogether. Any suggestions on where to look for (used or new) other than on Amazon?

I'm pretty confident that both motors are shot since they both lock up when trying to roll the bikes backwards (ie, bike can be rolled forward, but locks up when rolled backward). I checked the connector and it looks like the standard 9-pin waterproof connector that I’ve seen on Bafang and other motors. The cassette is a basic Shimano HG 7-speed so nothing appears special there.

It would prefer not to have to reuse my spokes and rim and just replace the power wheel altogether. Any suggestions on where to look for (used or new) other than on Amazon?
There's an Interceptor parts bike on eBay now for $599

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2252797693...UAZkGf5PsYRUlTrsupxXVBzU4=|tkp:Bk9SR7KRrPKtYQ

Here's a Pedego City Commuter for $1500 which uses the same drive train as the Interceptor:

There is also a pair of Pedego Comfort Cruiser bikes which likely use the same motor (I'd check with Pedego to be sure)

Other listings come and go on eBay daily.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m a little tentative about buying used Pedego parts on eBay because there’s a local recycler (recommended by the local Pedego store) thats been buying up similarly flooded e-bikes for between $75 and $100. I wonder if any of those bikes or their parts have found their way onto eBay.

Hey folks, I was able to find an open box 500W Bafang hub motor with a compatible connector on eBay and rebuilt the rear wheel with a new rim and new spokes. The bike is working really well. All the other components are in pretty good shape after some TLC.

Pedego rebuilt.jpg
I'm having just one issue which is that the speedometer on the display is way off (jumps to 50 MPH at around 8 MPH) even though the wheel dimension setting is correctly set to 26". How do these displays actually calculate the travel speed? I would expect to see a sensor on one of the wheels to count rotations but I don't see one on this bike. Is it maybe communicated from the motor instead?

Having done some quick research, it looks like most hub motors come with three hall effect sensors, corresponding to each phase of the power being supplied to the motor. Hall effect sensors are pretty simple devices that just report back the relative motor position. Any ideas what would explain the different speeds being reported?

Last edited:
Back