Pedego ESB App For Smartphones

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Last edited:
After re reading the instructions, I was able to get the ESB app on my iPhone XS to pair with all 5 of my Pedego rack type batteries. The ESB interface is located in the housing of many 2018 and newer Pedego batteries. See this link for compatibility:

https://pedegogo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010536594-Pedego-ESB-APP

The free app has many useful features including battery voltage (measured in milliamps for accuracy), % remaining, distance remaining on the current charge and battery statistics & diagnosis information. This useful data is not available on many Pedego handlebar displays. Maps and routing are also available with the ability to save and download your routes. Information sharing via Facebook and Twitter is also an option. The app can also communicate with Pedego to report problems.

The free ESB app is available for download on Google Play or the App Store. It's compatibility hasn't been widely publicized by Pedego and like me, there are many Pedego owners who aren't aware it exists.

I need to call Pedego tech support for help because we have FOUR bikes and we rotate the batteries when it makes sense to do that, so if I register my app to a particular battery but then that battery isn't in my bike, then what to do???

I need to call Pedego tech support for help because we have FOUR bikes and we rotate the batteries when it makes sense to do that, so if I register my app to a particular battery but then that battery isn't in my bike, then what to do???

The ESB interface is in the battery case, not on the bike. You can add all four of your batteries to the ESB app. It pairs automatically with the closest battery. Just make sure you turn off the switch on the batteries that are not in use. I have 5 batteries and 3 bikes. I have all five batteries entered in the app. It works fine with whichever battery is in the bike I'm using.

Make sure your battery is the newer 2018 version. It should have a black & white label that looks like this:

IMG_0227b.jpg

I also use the app to monitor battery condition when storing. It gives you an accurate voltage reading so you know when to recharge. It reads out in milliamps and is much more accurate than the bar meter on the battery.

Last edited:
Yes! That’s my battery type! But when I was trying to use the app it was trying to force me to choose the bicycle model. We have four bikes, Three different models. And it wanted me to pair the bike serial number with the battery serial number.

Yes! That’s my battery type! But when I was trying to use the app it was trying to force me to choose the bicycle model. We have four bikes, Three different models. And it wanted me to pair the bike serial number with the battery serial number.

The app didn't ask me for a bike serial#, just the model. I added all 5 battery serial numbers using the same model bike. The app has no way of knowing which battery is in any particular bike. I'm not sure but some of the information was pre populated when I entered the bike shop and date of purchase. I registered the bikes with Pedego when I bought them. Some information may have come from that registration.

I gave it a try, but it didn't show any battery information. Probably I'm doing something wrong .... I guess I can call Pedego Tech Support to inquire ...

I gave it a try, but it didn't show any battery information. Probably I'm doing something wrong .... I guess I can call Pedego Tech Support to inquire ...

I'm not an expert since I just started using the app. I have multiple batteries and I did notice that all the switches on the battery cases need to be turned off when within 30 feet of each other. Then turn on the one you are trying to pair with the smartphone. Once paired with the battery in your bike, the other batteries won't cause interference.

When you open the app, the battery should pair and the home page should look like this:

P1070254a.jpg

Touch the wrench in the lower center of the screen to open the diagnostic page. The battery voltage and distance remaining on the current charge is displayed:

P1070250a.jpg

Swipe the screen left to display the battery health screen:

P1070251a.jpg

Swipe left again to display other features.

P1070252a.jpg P1070253a.jpg

Touch the back arrow in the upper left to return to the previous page.

The app will do much more but I haven't used these other features yet.

Last edited:
Mmm! This is interesting I'm going to try it with mine. Thanks for posting this info.

Installed the ESB app on my phone and gave it a whirl with a brand new City Commuter. The app does not see the battery when you search. It does pull up what looks like some default battery S/N Not mine! Its pretty funny as you can connect to it also, or so it says. It wont let you finish confirmation after you fill in the model, shop, and purchase date though.

Aw well, worth a try. I asked the dealer about it when I took delivery as I had seen Court talking to a manager at Pedego during his City Commuter review (Mar 2018) and the guy clearly stated they have a battery sleep feature and bluetooth connectivity available now. Dealer said only the Conveyor has the bluetooth ability as of now.

I wonder if Pedego can be any more confusing with this. That review and statement from Pedego factory was pretty clear and 1 year ago.

Interesting. ESB works fine with all five of my interceptor batteries.

Just because your City Commuter is new doesn't mean it's battery is automatically compatible. Does the battery have a silver & black label like this?

IMG_0227a.jpg

I read somewhere that it helps if you fill out the online battery warranty registration on the Pedego website. It is in addition to the one for the bike. That information is used to pre populate the ESB battery registration. It is also possible you have a defective bluetooth interface in your battery case. A call or email to Pedego tech support might help.

I'll admit, the ESB app setup process leaves a lot to be desired but once working, it provides a lot of useful data. It should be noted that full bluetooth functionality is available only on the Elevate and Conveyor models and some of the app features don't yet work on other models.

Well, my CC BE came from the CA factory and was basically built to order. I would like to think the batteries they ship out are fresh builds and not something that has been sitting in a warehouse for a year or longer.

All the same, the battery has the silver and black label and looks pretty much just like the one you have shown. I wasn't aware of a separate online battery registration. They do have the battery serial from the online registration for the bike though. They ask for it when you register your bike.
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/register-your-pedego/

In all fairness, you I may have to wait for the registration to be processed and the battery serial to be forwarded to ESB. I have no clue, hence my "can they be any more confusing" statement. ;)

I can wait for the other features from the ESB app. All I am really interested in now is the BM information

Well, my CC BE came from the CA factory and was basically built to order. I would like to think the batteries they ship out are fresh builds and not something that has been sitting in a warehouse for a year or longer.

All the same, the battery has the silver and black label and looks pretty much just like the one you have shown. I wasn't aware of a separate online battery registration. They do have the battery serial from the online registration for the bike though. They ask for it when you register your bike.
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/register-your-pedego/

In all fairness, you I may have to wait for the registration to be processed and the battery serial to be forwarded to ESB. I have no clue, hence my "can they be any more confusing" statement. ;)

I can wait for the other features from the ESB app. All I am really interested in now is the BM information

I agree. If nothing else, the battery voltage measured in millivolts, and the distance remaining on the current charge make the app worthwhile to me. The number of charge cycles would be useful too but it appears that is one of the features which doesn't work yet.

Rats....I was hoping for the charge cycle counter so I would not have to keep track of it myself. I am a tech geek all the way so BM peaks my interest. I charge off the bike and have a DVM plugged in to capture the discharged voltage state. I am logging that and the topped off voltage in a spreadsheet so I can monitor the performance of the pack over time.

Well this as pretty much turned into a huge waste of my time. I spoke with Luke at Pedego and learned that the serial number of the battery that comes up will not match mine. He had no explanation for this but assured me that the battery it was talking with was mine and that I should continue with registration in the ESB app. Proceeded to the same conclusion as I described earlier. You can populate the 3 fields it is looking for 1)Bike Make 2)Dealer 3)Purchase date and then hit the red arrow to continue and you are presented with an error that you have not filled in all the fields. Luke tried it on his end with a battery there with the data I was using and he said it worked for him. He was using an Android tablet running lollipop I believe he said. I have tried on 2 different Android phones with the ESB app with the same result on both. One phone is a Sony with 5.1.1 (Lollipop) and the other is a Motorola on 7.1.1 (Nougot)

Well this as pretty much turned into a huge waste of my time. I spoke with Luke at Pedego and learned that the serial number of the battery that comes up will not match mine. He had no explanation for this but assured me that the battery it was talking with was mine and that I should continue with registration in the ESB app. Proceeded to the same conclusion as I described earlier. You can populate the 3 fields it is looking for 1)Bike Make 2)Dealer 3)Purchase date and then hit the red arrow to continue and you are presented with an error that you have not filled in all the fields. Luke tried it on his end with a battery there with the data I was using and he said it worked for him. He was using an Android tablet running lollipop I believe he said. I have tried on 2 different Android phones with the ESB app with the same result on both. One phone is a Sony with 5.1.1 (Lollipop) and the other is a Motorola on 7.1.1 (Nougot)

Wow! What a hassle! I have no Idea whats going on. For the record, I'm using the app on an iPhone 10X.

Just out of curiosity....Do your serial numbers show up correct in the app on the iphone? For the life of me, I don't understand that one at all.

Back